Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern Publishes Directive to Comreg

Options
  • 09-02-2004 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Covers 2 things,

1. Wholesale Line Rental (Single Billing) but not LLU . A lot of good that is Minister.....we need both.

2. Opening Mobile Networks to virtual operators.

Story on Silicon Republic Here .

Of further interest is that ESAT are considering becoming a Mobile Virtual Operator.

Story on Silicon Republic Here .

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Full Direction is now up on the DCMNR website Here in Word Format. The last line reads.
    The Goal is to be at or better than the EU average for end-user access to and usage of broadband by mid 2005.

None of your top deciles of the OECD any more I see. Better than Slovakia would be a realisable goal for us although I fear that Estonia will remain ahead of us for another few years.

Anybody who feels that the policy direction is incomplete or wrong in its present form may submit their observations direct to the Department Here

I can confidently predict that Ahern will ignore all of them , there is an election and a flotation coming up so he is running scared of the Indo nowadays. Eircom will actually be allowed to increase line rental further but only by the rate of inflation from the First of July next.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Muck
    Eircom will actually be allowed to increase line rental further but only by the rate of inflation from the First of July next.
    Sure we knew that the minute he opened his mouth on the radio and told us Muck. He's himself well covered there.

I pointed this out to Liveline via email (cos I couldn't through on the phone), but sadly they didn't put it to him.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

None of your top deciles of the OECD any more I see.

Anybody who feels that the policy direction is incomplete or wrong in its present form may submit their observations direct to the Department Here

I can confidently predict that Ahern will ignore all of them
    M

This complete U-turn of official Irish policy aspirations with regards to broadband goals needs to be given more attention. We should not let Dermot get away with this one.

John Doherty is already over the moon with Dermot's directive. More here

Peter

edit: just fixed Peter's link - sceptre

Originally posted by eircomtribunal
    This complete U-turn of official Irish policy aspirations with regards to broadband goals needs to be given more attention. We should not let Dermot get away with this one.

John Doherty is already over the moon with Dermot's directive. More here

John is busy dumping countries out of his spreadsheet now that Ahern has so 'directed' him to ignore the OECD and compare against the EU only. Out go "Top Decile" of the OECD stalwarts Japan , Korea and Canada . We only have to catch up with Estonia and Slovenia now and to concentrate our considerable regulatory and policy artillery on staying ahead of Slovakia and Lithuania.

I feel that this is actually achievable. I really really do :D

The original aspiration was a departmental and not a government one, Mary O'Rourke seems to have cooked it up....allegedly it was .5Mb available to every household by 2005 but she thought that was a typo and said 5Mb instead.

Ahern is therefore not contravening a decision made by the Cabinet (from what I can make out) which would be a serious issue indeed.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

John is busy dumping countries out of his spreadsheet now that Ahern has so 'directed' him to ignore the OECD and compare against the EU only. Out go "Top Decile" of the OECD stalwarts Japan , Korea and Canada .
    That's Korea, Canada and Iceland, Muck. Japan is 9th in the OECD. (Behind EU members Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands and Sweden).

• Advertisement

Iceland and Norway are in the EEA and not the EU Ripwave. John got a directive from on high to dump them from the spreadsheet as well. Think the Swiss are taken care of by the same exclusionary mechanism.

Top half of the EU will be c.12th in 2005 but watch out for them pesky Estonians and Slovenians and beware of 256k products masquerading as BB at the 'entry level '

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Iceland and Norway are in the EEA and not the EU Ripwave.
    I never said they were in the EU, Muck.

If you want to "correct" me, Muck, how about sticking to what I post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Get a room girls.

I used my l33T skills to stream off Ripwaves Webcam at home. I then uploaded the data to d'oul Hinterweb.

Here is what happens in Ripwave central when Muck Posts A Figure in the IoffL Board (note that it is interactive :D:D l33t wha? )

M

Advertisement