Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Me A Mouse

• 09-02-2004 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Heh :)

im going to pick up a new mouse due to a problem ive been having, maybe you can help with that first and foremostly as i like my current mouse and would ideally not like to change but here goes..

I have the Genius netscroll optical+ 5 button mouse, recently in the past few days it has been going wierd in games (FPS Games primarily) where im aiming and moving around and suddenly it shoots to another direction whether that be looking at the sky or ground or right/left etc, it isnt a smooth motion atall it feels and looks more like an aimbot type movement in that i will be aiming at someone and without even the slightest movement im facing the sky in that split second without me moving mouse..

This hasnt happened before and ive tried uninstalling the mouse in device manager and reinstalling, i cant use the drivers that came with the mouse due to the fact it crashes winXP if i do... but if i remember correctly i never put the drivers on with win2k and it worked grand, infact from what i could see it has worked fine up until i put in my new motherboard on friday evening.

Would a new mouse solve this problem? the motherboard itself is fine and games are running great performance wise but after a while this flicking motion really gets on your ti*s... its got me killed on many a occasion now!

Any ideas on how i could go about fixing this? would a new mouse solve it atall?

I currently have a ps/2 mouse but was going to maybe try out a usb one for once in the case that might make it perfect again

Any help is appreciated... if the case is i need a new mouse then feel free to recommend one, its primarily for gaming so keep that in mind and i refuse to go back to ball mice so you can rule them out :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

get an mx500 or one of the new explorer v4s.

best optical mice around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I got myself a a MX320 and its a great little rodent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Did you change your mouse mat ? optical mice dont like shiny or bright coloured surfaces,because the laser thing reflects off them and screws up.try it on a black mousemat before you shell out for another mouse.But if thats not the problem i would recommend the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 ( E47 ) from komplett with IceMat ;)

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

its the same mousemat ive always used and ive never had a problem with it before

i thought the lens may have been dirty but ive blew in it and from what i could see it was clean?

edit - i was tempted to get one of those alienware mices (the green one), how long do they take to deliver usually? delivery time is the thing putting me off really as i would prefer to get this rectified asap..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Got me a mx500 and i can whole heartedly recommend it for games, very accurate, weights pretty much perfect and a very nice shape for a right hander. Lotsa buttons too. Didn't try out an intellimouse explorer 3.0 yet so i couldn't comment or compare the 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Could be some other software running in the background thats causing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 mouse my self and i have found it to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

well i ordered from alienware a week ago and my order status was changed to " on its way" today so since its based in athlone i suppose 2/3 more days and i will have me new "conspiricy blue" mouse+ func mousepad :D

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Could be some other software running in the background thats causing this.

what like, elaborate? :(

the only thing i have running in the taskbar is the audigy 2 soundbar thing and the ATI control panel for 9800 pro..

you mean one of those system background things that shows up in processes? its a reinstall of xp pro on friday so not much is in there atm, as i checked this to make sure it was nothing else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

would i get a slap for saying 'mickey', 'mighty' or 'danger'?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Chief
    what like, elaborate? :(

the only thing i have running in the taskbar is the audigy 2 soundbar thing and the ATI control panel for 9800 pro..

you mean one of those system background things that shows up in processes? its a reinstall of xp pro on friday so not much is in there atm, as i checked this to make sure it was nothing else..

Close everything down other than the game and see if it still occurs. I've had a problem with Windows CD Player doing this in the past.

how do i shutoff windows cd player then?

all other windows are usually shut when im playing games?

i bought a logitech MX310 at lunchtime, the mx500 & mx700 was just to bulky i thought, and after a few tests the mx310 felt alot comfier in my hand, it still had the 5 buttons that im used to aswell so just went with that..

the intellimouse explorer (latest one i think it was) was also REALLY bulky i thought, i could have probably got used to it after a while but when it comes to mouses i like it to feel comfortable

there was a few nice wireless ones but after trying my parents back home it was a bit 'off' in games i felt where the response time was sometimes a bit dodgy, atleast it felt like that anyway which put me off getting a wireless one, that and i dont like the whole battery idea.. dont want to be really getting into something and then the battery decides to die and im screwed :p

that plus the fact some places wanted like 60-80 euro on these mice and basically im pretty skint..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Good Choice!

Originally posted by Big Chief
    how do i shutoff windows cd player then?

all other windows are usually shut when im playing games?

In task manager you can see whats running in the background (Crtl+ALT+DEL)
    Lots of stuff runs in the backgorund.

Its only one suggestion. Check the mouse on a another PC to see if happens there aswell. If it does then it a problem with the mouse. If not then its a problem with your PC.

Not convinved of the wireless mice myself. Though the bluetooth one looks nice (i'd like to have a hub) but its too expensive. I love my Logitech Dual optical, but its not made anymore. Sooo sad. Most of the newer ones I find too big aswell. I have normal sized hands too. (no really).

Advertisement