Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade Unions rights for multinational employees

Options
  • 09-02-2004 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

After 4 years of working for various multinationals I've heard a lot of myths regarding union membership, so here for your benefits is a list of myths debunked.

"My company policy is that anybody who joins a trade union will be sacked."

Wrong. Absolutely. You have a consitutional right to union membership and this cannot under any circumstance be used by your employer as a reason to terminate your employment. Not only that, but the normal 13 week rule does not apply and so this is a case for the Labour court. If you are sacked for union membership or if there is any indication that this may be a reason, your company is breaking the law and you will probably be able to take them to the cleaners.

However there is no obligation on the part of the company to negotiate with a union. They reserve this right.

"My company will not negotiate with employees."

Wrong. In certain circumstances employers are obliged to consult employee representatives. For example, in the event of a takeover the employer is obliged to consult and there is minimum notice.
    I have been quite surprised to discover that some companies who in Ireland are hostile to unions work well with unions in other countries.

"If I am in trouble at work I have no rights to be accompanied by another worker."

Wrong again. Most companies recognise the right of a disciplinary hearing bound employee to bring another employee. In unionised companies this would be a union member, but in non-unionised companies you can nominate anybody you like. Most companies have this written into their HR policies but may choose not to remind you if it comes to the worst. Check your HR handbook or documentation.

Be wary of the fact that there is systematic levels of wrong information being pulped out by the anti-union lobby in Ireland - the above facts are just a few myths being peddled in order to prevent unionisation.

On the other hand:

"Companies who are union hostile are bad places to work."

Not necessarily. Some have developed HR policies that are highly employee friendly. However some may be very much edged towards denying rights to employees, and you will need to double check everything to ensure your entitlements are not being met.

See also http://www.comhairle.ie/publications/entitlements/downloads/employment_rights.pdf

Advertisement