Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice over IP

• 09-02-2004 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know much about voice over internet protocol? I am doing if for my disseratation? Does anyone work for a company that uses voip or anyone know if any companies in Ireland implement it? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

this might be of some use :dunno: news.bbc.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Have a chat with the boys at Lastmile . Tell them you were refered from Kilbeggan! They really know their stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

We use it here.

We have a lot of satellite sites where we didn't want to put in Private Wires so we used radio links and IPPhones.

A total disaster! Your supposed to get 11mb and all we were ever getting were 4 or 5mb.
    The problem was (appart from the Network being slow) that the phone conversations were becoming distorted and unusable!

Mind you I work in the public sector so we probably didn't pay the money to set it up correctly in the first place.

All our radio links bar two or three have been taken offline now.
    This might be of help to you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns165/ns268/networking_solutions_package.html

Let me know if you need any more info on what we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Pinkchick03
    Does anyone know much about voice over internet protocol? I am doing if for my disseratation? Does anyone work for a company that uses voip or anyone know if any companies in Ireland implement it? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Where are you doing it and what course you doing? What approach are you going to take, i.e. software, hardware or an overall summary of the technology. Do you hope to implement it in any way..

QOS is a major topic when covering topics such as VoIP and any other real time/delay sensitive services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

hiya!
    I'm doing it in theory! Can't implement it in the college without all the equipment. I am just discussing it, how it works, how it would be implemented in theory, advantages disadvantages etc! Could i implement it without having to buy loads of hardware/software? I dont' think i could from what i've done so far!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gilly2003
    We use it here.

We have a lot of satellite sites where we didn't want to put in Private Wires so we used radio links and IPPhones.

A total disaster! Your supposed to get 11mb and all we were ever getting were 4 or 5mb.
    The problem was (appart from the Network being slow) that the phone conversations were becoming distorted and unusable!

Mind you I work in the public sector so we probably didn't pay the money to set it up correctly in the first place.

All our radio links bar two or three have been taken offline now.
    This might be of help to you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns165/ns268/networking_solutions_package.html

Let me know if you need any more info on what we have!

So would you not recommend VOIP then? I am trying to make my dissertation a very good one and was thinking of implementing it but one of my lecturer's said i couldn't cos the college has no ip phones etc. i am going to discuss it in theory how to do it. but i really wanna get a brilliant mark in it. is there anything else you can tell me about it? I'd love to see it in action myself so i can see the words being put into action. is there a program/software you use to make a call? Do you mind me asking where you work?

Thanks everyone for your help............ keep it coming!!
    :D

Where are you doing it and what course you doing

I'm in Dundalk doing BSc IT Management! Why?

I'll post something in the morning for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I work for Cisco and use a 7940 IP phone, they're great, never have any distortion or lag on them.
    You might find the case studies on the cisco website helpful, here's one:
    http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/partners/news/2004/f_hd_02-06.html?CMP=ILC-001

Also, BT are implementing VOIP for home users who have a broadband (cable or dsl) connection. All you need is a cisco box (which they provide) which converts your analogue phones into voip phones.

http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/broadband_voice/bb_voice_home.html
    http://www.ovum.com/go/content/c,41025

I'll post something in the morning for ya.

No problem! Thanks a million to all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I'm in Dundalk doing BSc IT Management! Why?

I done the same degree ;) If you look at the section in your networking book about Real Time traffic, its protocols and ways of policing bandwidth, you will get some sort of idea of what its all about.

The major issue with VoIP in my opinion is bandwidth. If you cannot provide sufficient bandwidth to minimise lag or break up, its pointless. Security issues with Cisco products may be a good avenue to explore. Interoperability between different vendors may be worth exploring.

I personally would provide a pretty comprehensive overview of the standards/protocols used to implement a VoIP service for the first section. The second section it might be worth checking out the vendors for VoIP solutions and then do a case study on a company where a VoIP solution would be be benficial and discuss the various issues that may arise...

I hope ya get what I mean, sorta blurted half of that out without re-reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd love to see it in action myself so i can see the words being put into action. is there a program/software you use to make a call?
    :D

If you are using Windows, try Microsoft Net Meeting or Instant Messenger. All you need are two PC's, both with speakers and microphones. On one PC you enter the IP address of the other and away you go. Linux also has one or two.

These, of course, only allow PC to PC connecitons (not PC to normal telephone connection). This is not a highly technical introduction for your dissertation, but it gives an idea of what can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Isnt shoutcast, using the same principle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's normal - I suppose your expectations were not properly managed

Originally posted by unkel
    That's normal - I suppose your expectations were not properly managed

Hey i'm just a lowly drone!
    I guess "Management" were told they'd get the 11mb!:D

Gilly2003 > where do you work? Do you use voip for making calls to other countries or other places in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

if you would want to use it - here
    decent implementation of residential voip I think - has only about 100ms lag on international calls, hardly anoying to me
    residential voip will be big business in ~5years when broadband connections will finally be considered an utility like gas or electricity

Thanks Silent - I will try it!!

Ya. Use the IPPhones as normal.
    I work in the Health Board.

The Phone has two ethernet ports - one for the Network Point and one for the PC so you only need one Network point for a PC & Phone. Handy!
    The phones have the full functionallity (sp) of normal handsets.

The motive behind IPPhones should be cost. Your saving money on new phone lines as the infrastructure is already there - your ethernet backbone!

Advertisement