Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cullen launches online motor tax payment

Options
  • 09-02-2004 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Cullen launches online motor tax payment
    09/02/2004 - 1:11:22 pm

Environment Minister Martin Cullen has launched a new service enabling motorists to renew their motor tax via the Internet.

Mr Cullen said the online service would be available on www.motortax.ie from March 1.

The service was introduced on a trial basis in Clare, Galway and north Tipperary over the past three months.

Mr Cullen said around 9% of motorists due to renew their tax discs in that period used the online facility.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/02/09/story133373.html

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hmm, by post or in person you have to present your Insurance Cert.. how is this going to work online??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

about feckin time too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by spockety
    Hmm, by post or in person you have to present your Insurance Cert.. how is this going to work online??

- According to the website you need your
    Your vehicle insurance details (name of insurer, policy number and expiry date).
    - Your renewal/reminder form, containing your PIN and vehicle registration number, to log into the service.
    - Your Laser or Credit card.

so presumably they will contact your insurer to check that you are insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good too see this happen, but I suspect the motor tax ppl are only really interested in getting your car taxed rather than chasing up your insurance details...could be wrong though.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A brilliant idea but I think this system has been in use for some time though !

There is a company close to me called Q 4 U that can have my car tax back for me the next morning, initially I was very sceptical of this but in hindsight this is how they were able to provide this service. The service they provide is excellent in fairness - saves me the hassle ( lazy bast**d here!). Bring it on - looking forward to it. I change my car frequently so I only ever tax for 3 months at a time at a cost of about 10 yoyo's a time through Q4U so it will save me a few bob !

Now if was only as simple to apply for tax free credits for mortgage repayments */waits for someone to say it is/*

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by tinky
    A brilliant idea but I think this system has been in use for some time though !

There is a company close to me called Q 4 U that can have my car tax back for me the next morning

No it hasn't (apart from Galway where the pilot scheme was). Think about the name of the company for a minute "Q 4 U". Yes, you guessed it, all they do is go to the motor tax office with the forms you give them, and guess what, they queue for you and pay your motor tax :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I heard about this a while back. Apparently, you just need to input your details on the website, and you will be issued your new tax disc.

However, random audits will take place where you will have to present your insurance cert and other forms.

I assume if anything looks suspect about you details they will also make you present the documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No it hasn't (apart from Galway where the pilot scheme was). Think about the name of the company for a minute "Q 4 U". Yes, you guessed it, all they do is go to the motor tax office with the forms you give them, and guess what, they queue for you and pay your motor tax

Smart**s :rolleyes:

Look at my post again. If I bring my details to Q4U at 4 in the evening they will have my motortax disc back in the morning. I asked them how they were able to do this and I was told it's done by computer connection.

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

about bloody time this happened. Waiting in queue for hours at the tax office gets very old very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've used this service. I inputed my details on Wednesday and I had my tax disc at home on Friday lunchtime.

Basically here's how it works
    - When your tax renewal form comes out , you'll see a new PIN number on it.
    - Log onto the website www.motortax.ie input this PIN along with your car registration. Your name and address will then appear and you will be aksed to confirm that these details are correct.
    - The next step is to select from a drop down menu who your insurance company is and input your policy number. (Will this be checked in future ???)
    - Finally you are asked how long you wish to tax the car for ,3,6,9 or 12 months.

Then it's everybodys favourite bit, entering your credit card details and giving the f'ers the money !!

It's as simple as that and is way better than having to go into the tax office every couple of months and queue for 40 minutes !!

Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

it took its time coming around will be dead handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it actullay working for those of us not in the chosen counties? It still says its for certain counties only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I think they said on the news the plan is to roll it out during March .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Looks like there will be sharing of information

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/staticContent.do?page=security
    PRIVACY

Access to personal details relating to the ownership of vehicles is contained in legal provisions and is strictly controlled. Section 60 of the Finance Act, 1993 (No. 13 of 1993), as amended, provides for access by Government Departments, licensing (motor tax) authorities in Ireland and other EU Member States, the Revenue Commissioners, the Gardaí and other persons as may be prescribed. The following have been prescribed for the purposes of Section 60 of the Finance Act, 1993:- Motor Insurer's Bureau of Ireland, Motor Vehicle Manufacturers and Distributors, Health Boards, Health and Safety Authority, Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs, Local Authorities, and persons contracted to them to provide computer bureaux facilities, National Car Testing Service, and Tribunals of Enquiry. The records are registered under the Data Protection Act, 1988 (statement no. 0721/A).

licensing (motor tax) authorities in Ireland and other EU Member States,

Looks like they will be able to chase up for fines received in other EU states.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by Victor
    Looks like there will be sharing of information

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/staticContent.do?page=security

PRIVACY

Access to personal details relating to the ownership of vehicles is contained in legal provisions and is strictly controlled. Section 60 of the Finance Act, 1993 (No. 13 of 1993), as amended, provides for access by Government Departments, licensing (motor tax) authorities in Ireland and other EU Member States, the Revenue Commissioners, the Gardaí and other persons as may be prescribed. The following have been prescribed for the purposes of Section 60 of the Finance Act, 1993:- Motor Insurer's Bureau of Ireland, Motor Vehicle Manufacturers and Distributors, Health Boards, Health and Safety Authority, Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs, Local Authorities, and persons contracted to them to provide computer bureaux facilities, National Car Testing Service, and Tribunals of Enquiry. The records are registered under the Data Protection Act, 1988 (statement no. 0721/A).

I knew the Gardai, Revenue, and the NCTS had full access but why the likes of Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs? And the Health & Safety Authority - what does that have to do with Motor Tax!?

And the bloody Motor Insurer's Bureau - does that mean insurance comanies are getting access to the driver and vehicle records?

Originally posted by TommyK
    I knew the Gardai, Revenue, and the NCTS had full access but why the likes of Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs? And the Health & Safety Authority - what does that have to do with Motor Tax!?

And the bloody Motor Insurer's Bureau - does that mean insurance comanies are getting access to the driver and vehicle records?

The motor isurers bureau only has access to vehicle records, I doubt they have access to driver records.

What business to health boards have with vehicle records?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    What business to health boards have with vehicle records?
    Not 100% sure if it's an option being availed of. Anyway health boards are entitled to recover their costs following an RTA.

Advertisement