Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4

Options
  • 09-02-2004 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi guys - I'm thinking of changing my Golf for a '00 Audi A4 1.9TDi. The one I'm looking at is the 130bhp version - just wondering if anyone has any experience of them, and what the verdict is. Any reviews I've seen on the net seem fairly positive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

IMO - the Passat TDi is better than the Audi TDi

My Ol Boy had load of problems with his Audi - so he went and got the Passat.
    Its a Great car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I was wondering about that - they're pretty much the same under the skin from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Originally posted by aodh_rua
    I was wondering about that - they're pretty much the same under the skin from what I know.

A4 - beaut, no problems myself - love it.
    Why-oh-why TDi??? What is it with this country and diesel? ...each to there own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

At least 1/3 off fuel bill.

Originally posted by John R

Pretty much - plus I've a diesel at the mo and I don't feel any great pull to get a petrol car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Zulu
    Why-oh-why TDi???

Torque. Makes acceleration at speed, e.g. 30-70 mph a lot faster than a petrol. Also durability of Diesel engine and massive fuel savings. Will upgrade my petrol motor this year and would love to go diesel, but can't afford the one I'm after :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Originally posted by John R

...but a bigger engine, heavier car. Plus the whole tractor effect after a little while. I'm not sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Diesels rule Okay! :) I'd skip both the A4 and the Passat and go for a Skoda Octavia TDi with top spec.

Mike.

Originally posted by Zulu
    ...but a bigger engine, heavier car.

Comparing a new A4 130BHP TDI 1.9 to a new A4 2.0 20Velve Petrol (130BHP). Obviously the Diesel has the SMALLER engine, leading to extra savings in insurance and tax. The Diesel is 95KG heavier but the acceleration and top speeds are the same. The fuel bill will be 30%-40% less for the Diesel. Torque is 195Nm (@3300)versus 310Nm (@1900) for the Diesel, an enormous difference :cool:

Even the price is the same new, but Diesels keep there value better, so depreciation and interest loss would be less for the Diesel.

And yes, it still sounds like a Diesel, but a tractor? WTF :confused:

Conclusion: On every single financial point, the Diesel is cheaper. It also has better performance than the petrol. It is not surprising that in continental Europe, Diesels outsell petrols now

Originally posted by mike65
    Diesels rule Okay! :) I'd skip both the A4 and the Passat and go for a Skoda Octavia TDi with top spec.

Mike.

Or the Superb :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have a `00 Audi A4 TDI. Bought it a year ago. Superb car. Very happy with it. Great on fuel and road handling. Would highly recommend.

Cheers guys - thanks for all the input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I'd go with an octavia aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Are you selling your Golf? I'm looking to buy one? Got specs?

Advertisement