Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Tunnel

Options
  • 09-02-2004 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I have to do a project for college on a (failing) project that is in the public domain. i have decided to do this on the dublin port tunnel.

can anyone suggest some suitable resources containing information about the planning stategies of this project.

thanx...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

That was hard....

http://www.dublincity.ie/porttunnel/

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

bloody hell. was using the search on that site and all. cant believe it was something as simple as that. damn, i feel like a chump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

I have to do a project for college on a (failing) project that is in the public domain. i have decided to do this on the dublin port tunnel.

how is that failing? the tunnel is being constructed as per design?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I was going to ask that too.... but I said I'd let it slide.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

its not failing as such but they have encountered major planning blunders. should have been a bit clearer bout this. the areas in which the project planning was not good were the height of the tunnel and now it seems that the ventilation in the tunnel is not adequite either.

has anyone got any resources that document these mistakes in detail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

i see where your coming from but the tunnel is being constructed as per the tender requirements, the design and the current construction. The 'super trucks' is an outside issue 'affecting' certain opinions of the capacity etc of the tunnel. Its not a 'failing factor'

what i mean is whats a super truck? If they did allow for these super trucks in the design originally we would still be in the same position ie: it doesn't allow for super super trucks and so on. Where can a line be drawn? How long is a piece of string?

If anything it is a good thing these super trucks can't fit because then the government and the general public can demand that if the truck can't fit into the tunnel well then its banned from ireland. trucks are destroying our roads as is, being over loaded and racing around without speed limiters etc which in turn would cost the tax payer more money by having to pay for the extra room to be added to the tunnel and then these super trucks now even heavier then the currrent ones destroying our new roads which have to be repaired at the cost of the tax payer again.

what has your lecturer said about your topic and what are you studying? You can be sure that the designers and contracts are laughing their asses off at the whole 'super trucks' issue. It's not the first time they have constructed such structures and they where able to longer ones much quicker and without the hassle that they are getting here.

has the project to be a failing civil engineering project??????? whats the brief?

I personally feel that the issue you have picked is to loose and open to different ideas and feelings to the project which could cost you marks in the long run.

Advertisement