Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition Labelling Problem

• 09-02-2004 5:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    A friend of mine has a RAID set up on his machine, when he re-installed windows there, something happened where windows was installed on F instead of C. He needs it to be on C though for the programming tools he's using.

So I was just wondering, is there a simple way to change the drive letter of the system drive? I don't think you can do it using windows, so I'm probably looking at a DOS line or something. By the way, I have Gdisk if that helps.

Thanks,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Is another drive showing up as C:? (Probably).

If not, or if you can re-assign that other C: drive to a different letter by changing it in Disk Manager, then you could use the following DOS command:

SUBST C: F:\

to map all accesses to drive C: onto drive F: (essentially creating an alias for drive F). This will not survive a reboot, so you might want to put it in a batch file in your Startup folder.

Permanently renaming your system drive letter is not for the faint of heart...! I believe (untested) that Windows will handle it automatically, since internally all its paths are done off the %SystemDrive% and %SystemRoot% environment variables, but plenty of other stuff will have hard-coded paths that break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

If nothing is on c and it's win xp then go into control panel, got to admin tools, and computer management. In here on the menu on the left, there is sub cat called storage. In this its disk management. You can reassign drive letter in there. Short of that not working you may need to get the partion magic boot disks and do it thru that. All depends on how it actually installed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I don't think there was anything on the C partition, but it still wouldn't let me change the drive letter. I actually think there's a way to do it using regedit.

Anyways, he's just going to reformat after copy his stuff to another HD.

Thanks,
    S.

Advertisement