Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief 2

Options
  • 09-02-2004 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Waited bout 4 weeks for play to get back in stock
    Now doesn't work .... my dispise for win XP growing - even says supported!

Just curious if anyone has any fixes which dont involve installing diff os ;-0

Running AMD. WinXP Pro, Radeon 9800Pro
    All drivers up-to-date.
    Game patched @ 1.17
    Tried compatibility mode etc

Run Game
    Screen goes black
    return to desktop
    no error - that great old-game no functioning black screen ....

Any help appriciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I was playing this on an old P2 450, and its a bugger to try and get the video card settings correct, dunno if this is your problem though.
    Is there any configuration options you can run without actually loading the game proper?
    Maybe you can set it to software mode instead of 3D?

Tis a great game btw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

most likely video card probs.

try latest video drivers for your card, and go into game config (if poss) and set everything to the lowest settings with any additional settings all turned off. see if it works, and if it does gradually try ramping up the performance until it goes tits up, then you'll know what's doing it.

you could always mail the game co and see if they know of any issues with your hardware setup that can be fixed easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

;For the nVidia TNT, TNT2, GeForce:
    ;If the Scouting Orb isn't working properly
    ;use the alternate effect. Remove the semicolon
    ;from the next line.
    ForceCameraOverlaySimple

;Some video cards may not work properly with Thief 2
    ;including the intel 810 and the nVidia RIVA 128.
    ;To fix, remove the semicolon from the next line.
    safe_texture_manager

Those 2 lines in config ... which were commented out - I uncommented, to no effect.
    try latest video drivers for your card
    All drivers up-to-date.

Unable to get into game at all - run exe, black screen, quit to desktop - no sound/pics at all .... and no other config utility outside of prog.

Looking Glass [developers afaik] got belly up- edios say dont mail them in regards to probs w/ 2k/XP - they've stopped supporting it heh

Originally posted by Sinnocence
    no other config utility outside of prog.
    If you're sure of that then I dunno if there's any fix.

Have a look through the game folders and the CD, maybe there's some other setup.exe type file or config program lurking hidden away.
    I'm guessing you checked all the txt files and docs on the CD and in the game directorys for any hints/troubleshooting?

read every file possible...
    Wouldn't mind if didnt support XP - but says it does heh.

• Advertisement

OK....this is wierd
    got it working - kind of - skips all videos/intro's etc - but can view em ne ways on winamp ...

The Fix I found...
    Goto to Shortcut properties
    Click Advanced
    and Tick "Run with different Credentials"

afaik This should not make game run at all....anyway....wierd...

Edit: ok just seems bugy now heh
    ran game like that again, as before went straight to main menu - game wouldn't start however ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Try uninstalling Theif2 then reinstall fully...
    else
    Change the compatability to another windows setting
    ie. compatable with win98 etc...
    else
    As a last resort you could save all your files and format the computer

I had the same problem with Thief2 but I can't remember how I fixed the problem.

Truely the Thief series is in a league of it's own ! ! !

Thief 3 is in the pipeline isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Yup it's on the way, theres a few short movies of it and my god does it look sweet. Apparently(though i'm not sure on this) the way you play the game will be along the same lines as GTA3, as in there's a big city and you go around doing jobs for people. I don't know if it's the same developement team as the first 2 though, looking glass went bust, now eidos have the rights to the thief series. Anyway, I'm hoping they don't go all deus ex 2 on thief and try to make it mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Has any one seen the german video of Thief3... Thief has been totally redone and everything is much more improved.

Instead of a sword you now have a dagger... so no more running out and killing gaurds...

The gaurds look a hell of a lot more realistic instead of the blocky shapes in Thief1+2

• Advertisement

looks kewl alright

btw, i did all basics of trying to get it working, a in change all compatibility modes obviously...

I believe it to be a problem with video playback of all things - as if i Run with different Credentials, as mensioned above, skips all cutscenes, and goes direct to main menu.

First time did it, got into game, haven't been able to get in since heh ... grr and stuff...

And according to site/faq's video problem relates to Intel Indeo's video codec - used one on cd + got new version, to no avail either ofc.
    Did reinstall thing also heh ...

Did all this btw before posting here ;-0 [apart from the "Run with different Credentials" option which was last resort heh].

Ah think i'll be reinstalling windows soon ne hows, as gettin load of new hardware, and well it's seems to be sickly in general; so cure it with the sledehammer
    *gets leeches*

Originally posted by Saviour_Angel
    The gaurds look a hell of a lot more realistic instead of the blocky shapes in Thief1+2
    the graphics of Thief 2 in particular were pretty impressive for a game of its time, especially if you bumped up the resolution to the max. All the old cathedral type buildings and mansions and stuff.

Advertisement