Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Shopping online to PC game problems

Options
  • 09-02-2004 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for advice, from shopping online, to returning games, to what to do when things go wrong with PC games, Please post advice, questions, or errors etc below…

Shopping online
    According to most posters, http://www.play.com/ and http://www.cdwow.ie/ are usually reliable. The majority who have posted about the subject of shopping online have had few or no major problems with the two site. Postage can sometimes take one to two weeks, if it goes beyond that time contact the sites vie email, they are normally accommodating with any problems.

Store policy isn’t the law
    According to Irish law, you are only entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair if a game or console etc is not of merchantable quality, not fit for its normal purpose, or not as described by advertising or wrapping, or something said by the salesperson.

Your rights are weaker for second hand products, and even more so if you are buying from another person rather then a high-street shop.

If you just change your mind, or your PC does not run a game, you are not entitled to refunds or returns. Although some store return policies such as a ‘30-day return’ policy may allow for returns just because change your mind, most of these now require the games to be sealed due to years of abuse of these policies. You also have no rights if you received a product as a gift, only the buyer retains a contract with the retailer.

According to the Consumer Association of Ireland if a product is not of merchantable quality or as descried, 'No Refunds' and 'No Exchanges' signs should be ignored. In such cases you are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.

Althought many retailers blankly disagree with the following two points, the Consumer Association’s website says (1) the choice of a refund, replacement or repair is yours to make and (2) that the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible. See their website for more… http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_retailers.html

PC Games
    Ok. We get quite a lot of people posting about problems they're having with games so I'm going to list a few of the more generic fixes for games out there. Most of these things involve PC Games as console games generally work out of the box.
    1. Get the latest patch for the game.
      I can't stress this enough. By the time the game reaches your filthy paws you can normally bank on a patch being released to fix the stuff they should have fixed before the game was released. Most PC games install a link to the games website as part of the menu. Some, like the wonderful :rolleyes: Steam for CS, have automatic updaters. If you can't find the Games website then ask www.google.ie

For example when I installed Aliens Vs Predator 2, I didn't even load the game up until I had tracked down a patch. Because it's a bit old, the official website had moved. So I opened up google and typed +"Aliens Vs Predator 2" +patch and I had it downloading in minutes.

Some patches are larger than others. If you're not part of the broadband revolution then this can mean trying to download a 50 meg patch over 56k. Which isn't fun at all. So either pop into your local net cafe or ask those kind folks over at the File Sharing forum to download for you.

2. If the patch hasn't worked...
      If the patch hasn't worked then try finding a FAQ on it, either on the official website or using aul google again. Chances are that somebody else has had the same problem and they've put up a solution.

3. Make sure you have the latest display drivers.
      ATI and Nvidia regularly release new revisions of their drivers and these can fix display related bugs in your game. This goes for sound drivers too although less rarely.

4. Some older games don't work under Windows XP very well.
      Fortunately XP has a compatibilty mode option for running such games. Find the main program file of the game, right click on it and choose properties. Then choose the compatibility tab and try different modes.

5. If the game loads up to it's menu screen but
      If the game loads up to it's menu screen but then dies when you go into the game itself, try reducing the display settings. Lower the resolution, colour depth etc.

6. CD scratches?
      Clean your game cd and check for scratches. (well it's caught me out before)

7. Directx version?
      Get the latest directx version. Running Windows Update is often the easiest way to do this. Also get the latest service pack if your using Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

8. Hardware problems?
      It's possible you could have a hardware problem. Some graphics cards work fine with ordinary windows type stuff but when they try to do 3d stuff then they bork out and crash the game. This can also happen if your pc is overheating due to a wonky fan on the graphics card or if your PSU isn't powerful enough to handle it.

Also it's possible that your hardware is too old to run the game. Always check the minimum hardware specs on the game before you buy it. Then check the recommended specs. If your system is lower than that then it's time to think about upgrading.

9. Firewall problems?
      Some firewalls like Zonealarm ask you if a game is a allowed to access the internet. This can cause problems because you're in the game while Zonealarm freezes the program resulting in some games getting stuck in a black screen. Try alt-tabbing out and telling the firewall that everythings ok and you love it because it helps protect against nasty hackers and virii.

10. If all of this fails???
      If all this fails to work then post here. You'll get a better answer if you include the following:
        • Service Pack release (eg Service Pack 1).
        • Make and model of your graphics card.
        • What version of the game your running.
        • What things you've tried already.
        • Any error messages that appear when trying to run the game.

Hope this helps.

I'd appreciate if anyone has any other tips or for things like running games on Linux, Macs. Please post them here. Also while I don't think a similar FAQ for consoles games is needed, I'd welcome any input on that.

I'm leaving this sticky open. Any irrelevant crap posted to this thread will be deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Might also be worth a mention:

I had trouble with BF:V where it installed ok but when I tried to play it, either through the desktop shortcut or the autoplay menu when the disc was inserted it would tell me the wrong disc was in the drive, but none of the discs worked. Eventually found out that the game won't work if certain copying programs are installed like CloneCD, Alcohol 120%, Nero or Daemon tools. I didn't have the patience to find out which of those were the problem, I just uninstalled them all, installed the game and then reinstalled them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just so you can have aprofile that only runs stuuf that you need for games, and nothing else. Great if your machine ain't up to scratch.

Mods, move as you feel fit.

CREATE A HARDWARE PROFILE FOR GAMES -
      • Right click on My Computer
      • Click Properties
      • Click the Hardware Tab
      • Click Hardware Profiles
      • Mark "Original Configuration", then Copy and then Rename to e.g "Game". Now you have created a menu that shows up when you boot your computer. Set the properties for your boot option in the "Hardware profiles selections" You normally would boot with the Original Configuration. Never delete your "Original Configuration" if you boot in another profile. Reboot your computer to see that this takes effect
      • Now, tweak the different services for a Game Machine listed in this document
      • Select each service to configure, right-click, select Properties, Choose "Log on" tab. In the lower part of this box select "Disable" or "Enable" dependent on which hardware profile you configure. If you configure for "Game" you should choose "Disable" to free up system resources.
      • Next; configure your Virtual Memory according to this document
      • You should set "Initial Memory" and the "Maximum" to be the same to avoid this pagefile from being defragmented, i.e you get better performance. Use these settings:
        384 MB pagefile if you have installed 256 MB RAM
        768 MB pagefile if you have installed 512 MB RAM
        1152 MB pagefile if you have installed 1024 MB RAM
        1536 MB pagefile if you have installed 2048 MB RAM

Got this from the Dell forum, here. DELL-ChrisM made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

That services tweak fcuks up your internet connection, cant play online games with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

just thought I might add -- be very, very careful when you do this if you have a dialup connection as stopping/disabling some services will in fact delete your internet connection and you won't be able to recreate it until you re-activate or enable that service on startup. Don't even know which one it is, probably routing and remote access or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Avoid getting a game too powerful for your current system's specs

Windows XP Game Advisor:

http://ccon.futuremark.com/gameadvisor/service/advisor.jsp

One of the most useful links i've seen in a long time!

Sometimes minimum / recommended specs on games websites can be misleading. And also, a lot of amateur users are confused when buying PC games as the return policy on PC games have gotten very strict.

This website checks the specs of your current system against the specs of some PC games out there. The first time you check against a game - you will be required to download an ActiveX control. After that brief one-time installation, The check will inform you if your system is sufficient to play the chosen game.

Example (comparing my system against RollerCoaster Tycoon 3):

rct.JPG

However, there's only a small category of games so far to check against. But most of the games to check against are the most popular ones available (such as 'Half Life 2', 'The Sims 2', 'RollerCoaster Tycoon 3' etc.)

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

thats really useful basquille. thanks alot for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

elvis2002 wrote:
      thats really useful basquille. thanks alot for that.

No problem... it's just a shame they've a real limited selection of games to choose.

Seems they're just games that Microsoft have an affiliation with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Flame Weilder

I've got a problem with a game called Sea Dogs, when I click on the shortcut it loads up into a black screen, which is expected. But it stays there. I don't get the pre game cinematics or anything. I do ctrl+alt+delete and it pulls up the list but it doesn't say Sea dogs isn't responding. :(

Sea Dogs is:

v1.0
      it was made in 2000
      It has worked on my machine before (Win 98 se)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hmm, tough one. It was made in 2000, so maybe your computer is too good for it

Try downloading the latest patches for the game and see if that helps.

Hmm, tough one. It was made in 2000, so maybe your computer is too good for it

I don't think so, as my computer ran it fine before. :confused:

• Advertisement

Problem solved. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nerd

Good morning lads

I just got my mits on a copy of blood 2 : the chosen after ages of searching and wishing and praying for it ....

Anyway , i get it installed and as i go to run it it crashes out and tells me its not supported on NT!

-Im running XP home edition
      -I've searched for some sort of patch or something but the game was released in '98 so the host sites have taken the patch down long ago
      -im bloody ragin' and i want to play it !

Is there a general patch etc that i can get that allows older games run on newer versions of windows? Any one have any advice etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Nerd wrote:
      Is there a general patch etc that i can get that allows older games run on newer versions of windows? Any one have any advice etc?
      for windows xp;
      try right clicking on the shortcut you use to launch the game, go to properties and then click on the "compatibility" tab
      choose to run it in windows 98/me compatible mode and it should hopefully work...
      I seem to recall having no problems playing blood2 on xp using this method anyway...
      Linky to the patchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Yellow Snow

Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right place to post and someone can help me.

Got a new laptop for x-mas and a new game... happy days.

Only I've hit a little problem (at least I hope it's a little one!!)

Game is Championship Manager 2008.

Installation went fine but when I start it up, when it gets to the Start New Game bit, the mouse cursor disappears?!?

In the troubleshoot bit it says the problem is most likely directx 9 isn't compatible with the sound card and to download the most relevent driver.

But it says the driver is the most up to date one.

It's a Realtek High Definition Audio sound card btw.

And it's running on Vista, 2 GB mem and 120 GB hard drive.

Didn't think a sound card would effect actual play...

Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

had this posted in Online consumer issues but no takers: hope to do better here: Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spikegomez

thanks for the great thread, this is a very important in people who love online shopping... like me... this may be the guide for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Just a heads up on this people...

A website called Bigpoint.com, situated in Hamburg Germany have charged my credit card €30 for a game I never bought. It's not a huge amount but I do not have a lot of money. I am currently disbuting this with my Credit Card company. Bigpoint have asked me some very odd questions, like more account details and credit card number so they can pay me back. They say I am the victim of fraud. I don't know if I should believe them or not. They wouldn't give me any details of where the game was sent etc etc. This has been going on since before christmas. Very odd indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

emmm lads, if you order from www.play.com how do you get charged? in eus or paunds? becouse paunds prices are alot alot better for us...

anyone had any experience with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

1. Some patches are larger than others. If you're not part of the broadband revolution then this can mean trying to download a 50 meg patch over 56k. Which isn't fun at all. So either pop into your local net cafe or ask those kind folks over at the File Sharing forum to download for you.

Secret Forum then? Or dead forum?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Inactive hosted forum.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

i have had this game for a while but i decided to go back playing it, there are no scratches btw.

i have installed the ver 1.28 or something like that ,i have windows vista and the it wont play under that, so i downloaded the patch, and installed that, then i downloaded and installed the multiplayer patch, it was 160mb one.

it still wont work, when i click it the black screen with soldiers written on it comes up and it says must teminate program or something along them lines.

i have more than everything you need, 1gb graphics card, 4gb ram, huge h/d. ive done everything i can think of and it still wont work.

any ideas???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

roakey wrote: »
      i have had this game for a while but i decided to go back playing it, there are no scratches btw.

i have installed the ver 1.28 or something like that ,i have windows vista and the it wont play under that, so i downloaded the patch, and installed that, then i downloaded and installed the multiplayer patch, it was 160mb one.

it still wont work, when i click it the black screen with soldiers written on it comes up and it says must teminate program or something along them lines.

i have more than everything you need, 1gb graphics card, 4gb ram, huge h/d. ive done everything i can think of and it still wont work.

any ideas???

Did you get the patch specific to Vista?

http://www.gamershell.com/download_17972.shtml

Spear wrote: »

yes that was the patc i got. so i havent a clue wat to do. maybe i should uninstall it again and try again. other than that i havent a notion

Spear wrote: »

this is the screen i get when i try to load the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

basquille wrote: »
      Avoid getting a game too powerful for your current system's specs

Windows XP Game Advisor:

http://ccon.futuremark.com/gameadvisor/service/advisor.jsp

One of the most useful links i've seen in a long time!

Sometimes minimum / recommended specs on games websites can be misleading. And also, a lot of amateur users are confused when buying PC games as the return policy on PC games have gotten very strict.

This website checks the specs of your current system against the specs of some PC games out there. The first time you check against a game - you will be required to download an ActiveX control. After that brief one-time installation, The check will inform you if your system is sufficient to play the chosen game.

Example (comparing my system against RollerCoaster Tycoon 3):

rct.JPG

However, there's only a small category of games so far to check against. But most of the games to check against are the most popular ones available (such as 'Half Life 2', 'The Sims 2', 'RollerCoaster Tycoon 3' etc.)

The service has been doscontinued, so as a replacement I shall inform you of SystemRequirementsLab. basically does the same job as the prvious one did.

Also works on other Windows Operating Systems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What's the deal with pre-ordered games? Do they ship from their warehouse on the day of release or do they usually ship so that you have the game on the day of release?

I'm just after pre-ordering a game there that's out on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steveljohn8

Where from you are doing this actually if you buy games from register site you will not get any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What I learned after many years off from buying games:

Don't.
      Ever.
      Buy.
      From.
      Steam.

It is the single most shoddy, wonky, awful service I have ever seen in action, for doing anything, in any field. Mind boggling that this sort of thing is allowed to continue. Nothing works. Something that worked 30 seconds ago will stop working for no reason. The client platform itself isn't even kept up to date, never mind the games. You can't trust it not to corrupt its own files.

Seriously, I managed to get 5 games I always wanted for about €15.
      But I'll never ever do it again. 2 weeks later and I'm still waiting for one of them to download without corrupting itself in the process. I got it once, then had to delete it and re-acquire it when it randomly stopped working - again. If you can't trust a "download service" to - er - download, what use is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Don't.
      Ever.
      Buy.
      From.
      Steam.

I find you're experiences hard to relate to. I've been buying games off steam since episode 1. In 2004-2005 steam was hugely buggy, but even then I haven't had a major problem and have been able to play all the games I purchase in timely fashion. In contrast, I've bought dodgy disks off retailers, and had orders from online retailers go missing in the post, so my experiences with Steam have been hugely positive in comparison. If it weren't for their f*cked European prices they introduced recently I'd purchase all games off steam tbh.

Btw, are you sure you haven't disabled client updates or something? there is a setting to do this for offline users or those concerned about privacy. That would explain the crashes if you went to play your games online...

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Everything is set, changed, fixed according to all the various posts I can find on the forums.

I don't play online multiplayer, when I say I'm having problems with Steam, I mean "Getting Steam to recognise there's a game there and download it, then run it." This is the equivalent of a DVD getting lost in the post, and the whole point of something like Steam is that it's supposed to solve "Stuff getting lost in the post and not being up to date."

Google "Download starting message, not downloading" and you'll see how prevalent this is. It's totally inexcusable that the most basic part - the delivery system - can't be relied upon, never mind that Steam itself isn't compatible properly with Windows 7 (I've already had to edit the registry twice to sort out arguments between Win 7 and Steam as to whether it should be run in compatibility mode).

Awful, awful software.

Advertisement