Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Shopping online to PC game problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is anyone else having problems paying with debit card on play.com.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that my card has no start date (although they don't go into details but that's the only difference between that site and others where the card works.

They lost my sale anyway I went to bangcd.com instead, not quiet as cheap but still got Fifa9 and an xbox controller for €48 all in.
    What I learned after many years off from buying games:

Don't.
    Ever.
    Buy.
    From.
    Steam.
    I'm still on a rolling boycott of steam and to a lesser extent Valve since Half life 2. I still can't play that game because it's locked to an old steam account. I've contacted steam again and again, jumping through all the hoops more than once only to be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mark92

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

bought COD MW 2 for PC by mistake. Anyone any idea of where I can offload it (apart from ebay)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

adverts.ie? maybe it doesnt do pc games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

is there an updated list of online game stores on the way any time soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

the_syco wrote: »
    Just so you can have aprofile that only runs stuuf that you need for games, and nothing else. Great if your machine ain't up to scratch.

Mods, move as you feel fit.

CREATE A HARDWARE PROFILE FOR GAMES -
    • Right click on My Computer
    • Click Properties
    • Click the Hardware Tab
    • Click Hardware Profiles
    • Mark "Original Configuration", then Copy and then Rename to e.g "Game". Now you have created a menu that shows up when you boot your computer. Set the properties for your boot option in the "Hardware profiles selections" You normally would boot with the Original Configuration. Never delete your "Original Configuration" if you boot in another profile. Reboot your computer to see that this takes effect
    • Now, tweak the different services for a Game Machine listed in this document
    • Select each service to configure, right-click, select Properties, Choose "Log on" tab. In the lower part of this box select "Disable" or "Enable" dependent on which hardware profile you configure. If you configure for "Game" you should choose "Disable" to free up system resources.
    • Next; configure your Virtual Memory according to this document
    • You should set "Initial Memory" and the "Maximum" to be the same to avoid this pagefile from being defragmented, i.e you get better performance. Use these settings:
      384 MB pagefile if you have installed 256 MB RAM
      768 MB pagefile if you have installed 512 MB RAM
      1152 MB pagefile if you have installed 1024 MB RAM
      1536 MB pagefile if you have installed 2048 MB RAM

Got this from the Dell forum, here. DELL-ChrisM made it.

Great post by the_syco, unfortunately at some stage they updated their database system and it made the link invalid. I corrected that in my quote

Note: Could not find the Virtual Memory Tweak page btw, sorry

Advertisement