Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G interference?

• 09-02-2004 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently trialling a 3G MCC card and have tried to use it at home in the same room as a 802.11g Netgear card. They both seem to get very upset! One or other (or both) lose the connection. Is this to be expected? Would it make any difference if I change the netgear channel? I never had problems with a GPRS card and the netgear stuff, but I seem to recall 3G is more powerful transmitting...?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

try the higher end of the range of channels on the Netgear and your wifi cards. 3G should be below the wi-fi band.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's miles below.
    http://www.cellular-news.com/3G/ireland.shtml
    Highest possible frequency is 2170MHz
    WiFi Band is 2400-2480MHz
    So you could nearly fit another three WiFi bands in the gap..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Thanks for the responses - I'll give it a go when I'm at home. They were both OK when I took the 3G card to the other end of the house... I guess it didn't help as when I started I was sat with the 3G card between the WiFi card and the AP. But I've not had that problem from GPRS.

How fast was the 3G Data Card , 128K down and 32k up or faster ?

M

384k down and 64k up - in theory. I was getting about 64k down from various UK/US web sites which was poor, but via the Voda VPN from the corporate net I got 375kbs which was nice. So I'm not sure if I was using naff UK/US sites or if the Voda ISP has poor interconnections. I should have tested the same sites/files with my IOLBB for a interesting comparisson - will try and do so later :)

• Advertisement

If you go via an approved proxy it'll probably be faster than that to outside sites :D

Will 384k down be the standard package one wonders ?

How far from the cell site did that work....outta curiousity.

M

Any idea what proxy I should use? When connected just to voda ISP I have no proxy configured. When connecting through the corporate VPN I have the internal proxy...

The test was in Bray with pants (2 out of 10 bars if you're lucky) signal. Which strangely gave a faster result than my recent test at work with (unsurprising) full signal strength! Although I am fighting for resource with every other bugger here using one where as I am probably on my own in Bray :) No idea where the cells are though away from here (work).

Could be the same as the WAP proxy, see if you can insert these settings somewhere

Phone IP Address: Automatic
    Primary name server: 213.233.128.19
    Secondary name server: 213.233.128.1
    Proxy serv. Address: 10.24.59.100
    Proxy port number: 9201

Other ports to try maybe

permanent is 9201
    temp is 9200
    secure perm is 9203
    secure temp is 9202

On the other hand it may kinda DHCP your set

Phone IP Address: Automatic
    Primary name server: leave (blank or 0.0.0.0) (... still having issues try 213.233.128.19)
    Secondary name server: leave (blank or 0.0.0.0) (... still having issues try 213.233.128.1)
    Proxy serv. Address: leave (blank or 0.0.0.0)
    Proxy port number: leave (blank)

0.0.0.0 better than blank with certain auto configuring software.

HTH and nJoy

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You might want to make sure the Mobile Connect Card is attaching to the 3G network and not automatically attaching to the stronger GPRS signal. This could explain the slower data rates on occassion. I noticed the 3G MCC and Z100 locking onto the GPRS network a few times upon being powered on...

Advertisement