Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business League - 1st Game of the season

Options
  • 09-02-2004 10:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think we did good. As far as I know we got 2 2nd places, a 3rd, a 5th and 9th/10th?? Not entirely sure but I think it was a good start. I'm not shaming or praising by naming anyone. I'll just say I got a second place and the rest can chime in with their confirmed finishes.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well we DID do good - Along with Musician's 2nd, Lafortezza came 2nd, I came 3rd, I think Mr Pudding came 5th and Gerire came 8th.

A great result overall for the team - I'd say we are there or there abouts

Well done to all

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Sorry all, team gerire let team boards down. Went in with a very strong hand, pocket jacks and another on the flop, along with 10, K. Was called and I was looking good Vs, Q 3 unsuited. 4th street showed 6h and he hit a 9 on the river for the straight.

DAM N00BS. Am going for absolute reserved approach next week, amnt playing without a pair J or higher..........................

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hey dont sweat it, could have happened to any of us, in fact I would have expected it to happen to at least one of us. Thems the breaks!

I reckon we scored: 9+9+8+5+3 = 34

On average the teams will score 27-28 on that system, putting us well up in front.

Well done guys, if we can repeat that every week we have this sown....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I found it a very tricky game to play. There was 2 complete and utter n00bs at my table. They limped into every and I mean every pot, sometimes with KK sometimes with god knows what. They never ever raised. One guy got a full house of jacks and tens *on the flop*, and didn't raise, someone with pocket QQ raised a bit on the turn and river then looked sick as a dog when the guy laid down his house with a worried and questioning look.

I played fairly tight, limped into 3 or 4 flops, then got pocket 10's and raised preflop. 3 callers, another 10 on the flop, raisd big, 1 caller, river and turn, my 10's beat his KK. The only risky hand I played was A7o in my hand so I checked the blinds. 3 Spades on the flop, so I raised, 4 callers, spade on the turn, nut flush for me, raised all in, 2 callers, both all in. I win.
    Apart from that I got no other hands that were very impressive.

There was one very good player at my table, I think he regularly plays in the Fitz cash games. He stole so many blinds, and people were just afraid to call him. I was happy enough as 2nd stack to let everyone elses chips disappear.
    When Stormin Norman was dealing for us, the big stack kept complaining as to why he never got cards this good in the regular cash games, so hopefully it wasn't as if he was playing us all off the table and just getting good cards.

When there was 3 of us left I was comfortable 2nd stack, but instead of me and the big stack killing off the 3rd stack, I found myself rapidly loosing chips. Went all in on KJo and called by small stack, K on the flop which held up.

Happy with 2nd at my table, and it can be very very tricky playing n00bs while trying to build a bit of a stack but still playing tight.
    Go team Boards!1

EDIT: The points were a bit different depending on the number of people at each table. If there was 12 at a table, the first and second placed people both got 11 pts, if 11 at a table it went 11pts->1pt, don't think there was any tables of ten.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nice one I was on a table of 12 so thats 11 points. As Dev said what happened to Gerire could have happened to any of us so on average if it only happens to one of us a week I'll be happy.
    I felt guilty early on as so many of them were absolute newbies and as lafortezza said most would hardly bet at all even with monsters. One guy raised from 50 to 100 pre-flop then checked all the way and showed pocket Aces.
    I also played tight landing 2 houses the first 2 times I got involved in a pot and played them well enough to get people calling me to make some chips out of them. When I was one on one I got Kh9h on big blind, the small made a big raise which put me all-in. He had 72o and made a pair of 2s. Quite funny in a sad way but if I get 11 points the same as him I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did they say when the League table would be up? And where?

I'm dying to know if we are in front or what, I think we've done well and I doubt many have done as well as that.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I had a really enjoyable night. Some total n00bs at my table (says the 5 weeks vet!) I got stung twice with people limping in with top pair and me thinking my middle pair was good. Pain in the ass. Still, I lastest longer than one of the players from last years winning team. He also fell foul to limping n00b (I refuse to believe we were slow played!)

On the subject of how well we did I am not sure. I wpuld like to think we did OK. The winning score 286 last year. If it was a 6 week tournie then that would mean 47/48 point each week being needed. I was talking to your man fron the winning team, he was saying that it was pretty tight to the end and the whole thing could be anyones right up to the end.

Royal Bank of Scotland have 2 team in. They seem to have a few good players. I saw quite a few people who seem to be reasonable players getting put out by n00bs. I normally play very tight, next week I will be super tight.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by MrPudding
    I saw quite a few people who seem to be reasonable players getting put out by n00bs. I normally play very tight, next week I will be super tight.
    MrP
    What I was trying to do was to see who was in the pot still when I was deciding to raise or call on a hand. If the players are very new and not too confident, then a big confident raise and a stare could very well make them fold, even when you only have middle pair.

I frequently avoided getting involved in a pot with the 1 or 2 good players at my table, especially the big stack who drove the betting on nearly all the hands he was in. I folded 99 and A9s when he doubled the blinds and several people called.
    No point in going head to head against big stack, much better to try to skim chips off 3 small stacks every chance you get.
    The winning score 286 last year. If it was a 6 week tournie then that would mean 47/48 point each week being needed.
    With only 5 players competing each week wouldn't that mean all 5 players would need to finish in the top 1 or 2 of their table each week? Maybe it was a different setup last year, 6 players per team or something :dunno:

Advertisement