Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Router has USB port ??

• 09-02-2004 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty confused having just got a 4 port ADSL modem/router/switch. Its a bizzare conexant one with no obvious make (other than it says conexant in the device manager).

Basically it connects to one computer via a USB port AND there;s the 4 x RJ-45 ports and the PHONE <dsl> line aswell. This is the first one like this ive come across and i just cant get the damn thing to work.

How do these work? Is it basically a USB ADSL modem with some bizzare ethernet setup?

I have a diferrent router at home here that just has the phone line, and the 4 ports and its great. But this new one im setting up at work and its proving a right PITA :(

The biggest problem is that it wont let me access the config page half the time (which is 192.168.0.1) The XP machine its connected to only let me access it once, but after that it keeps prompting me to dial up- and no amount of telling IE6 NOT to dial is helping.

Summed up - how on earth do these work with a USB port?
    - any ideas how to get the machine to let me access the config page without it trying to dial up to 'download' the page (the best i can get is a cached page. Refresh wont work, "never dial this connection" doesnt work.

Any feedback on that mess of typing above appreciated :)

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by gs39t
    I'm pretty confused having just got a 4 port ADSL modem/router/switch. Its a bizzare conexant one with no obvious make (other than it says conexant in the device manager).

Basically it connects to one computer via a USB port AND there;s the 4 x RJ-45 ports and the PHONE <dsl> line aswell. This is the first one like this ive come across and i just cant get the damn thing to work.

How do these work? Is it basically a USB ADSL modem with some bizzare ethernet setup?

I have a diferrent router at home here that just has the phone line, and the 4 ports and its great. But this new one im setting up at work and its proving a right PITA :(

The biggest problem is that it wont let me access the config page half the time (which is 192.168.0.1) The XP machine its connected to only let me access it once, but after that it keeps prompting me to dial up- and no amount of telling IE6 NOT to dial is helping.

Summed up - how on earth do these work with a USB port?
    - any ideas how to get the machine to let me access the config page without it trying to dial up to 'download' the page (the best i can get is a cached page. Refresh wont work, "never dial this connection" doesnt work.

Any feedback on that mess of typing above appreciated :)

TIA :)

A lot of routers have USB ports aswell as ethernet ones, in most cases it's best to set it up through the ethernet port though, simply because it does not require any drivers and doesn't use your computers resources.

Advertisement