Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard to Connect 2 Computers to single Broadband Connection?

• 10-02-2004 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there,

I'm thinking of subscribing to UTV's broadband package as they seem to be the only provider allowing you to hook more than one computer up to the same connection. I have no idea how to go about doing this and how much it would cost to do so.

I was hoping someone here might. Thanks in advance,
    Robert

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

there is loads of stuff on here about doing that

you can do and ad hoc connection via a cross over cable,
    you could buy a router/adsl modem all in one and then connect up to the internet via a utp cat 5 cable using ethernet or even go wireless, buy 2 wireless cards and get something like this
    this will also allow 4 physical (wired) connections

be warned that you only get a usb dsl modem with utv and only eircom give out an ethernet modem to my knowledge

anyway do a search on this forum and you will find loads of info about it, heck with the right gear you can connect 10+ pc's together, throughput might be slow though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bandwithnoname

You'll have to forgive me, my broadband knowledge is very limited. Is it possible to run simply one crossover cable from the modem to my second computer or would I need a router as well (these don't seem too expensive). Would a wireless router work through several walls?

Incidently the computer we'll be mainly using for boadband doesn't seem to have an ethernet card (its quite old and crap) and so I'll have to connect to that via USB. And it ain't USB 2.0 so will this be a problem?

Any suggestions on how much roughly it would cost to connect up a second computer. And I thought Eircom didn't allow this?

Thanks
    Robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by jank
    be warned that you only get a usb dsl modem with utv and only eircom give out an ethernet modem to my knowledge
    oreillycom and IOL both provide ethernet modems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bandwithnoname
    You'll have to forgive me, my broadband knowledge is very limited. Is it possible to run simply one crossover cable from the modem to my second computer or would I need a router as well (these don't seem too expensive).
    You'd have to run a crossover cable from the first PC to the 2nd PC, not from the modem to the 2nd PC. But the modems currently being provided by IOL and oreillycom have 2 ports - 1 USB and 1 ethernet, and you can use both ports at the same time. If all you have is 2 machines, then that should do the business.
    Would a wireless router work through several walls?
    It's hard to say - plaster or brick? How many is several? If using wires is an option at all, go with wires. (though many wireless routers have wired ports and wireless ports, so you have a choice).
    Incidently the computer we'll be mainly using for boadband doesn't seem to have an ethernet card (its quite old and crap) and so I'll have to connect to that via USB. And it ain't USB 2.0 so will this be a problem?
    USB 1.0 is faster that the 512k that you'll get from DSL, so even an old computer will still work (though the USB drivers do impose some overhead - ethernet is much better in this respect).
    Any suggestions on how much roughly it would cost to connect up a second computer. And I thought Eircom didn't allow this?
    oreillycom don't support it. That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to do it. They even provide a modem with 2 connection ports.

IOL offer the best prices at the moment, when you take the fact that they provide a dual ethernet/USB modem into account. (And if you use your phone much, check out their bundles).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

sorry thought eircon only had the option of the 2 connections!
    didnt know that IOL started doing this too

• Advertisement
Advertisement