Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear cases?

Options
  • 10-02-2004 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Anyone using a clear case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

not using one myself, but they had one at the elara stand at that brighter homes expo thing at the rds a while back. so i guess elara stock em.

also saw a nice one running in marx computers when i was in there a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah Elara do sharkoon 1's and komplett do AcRyan UV reactive one's bout E120,i think they look good but it would be a nightmare to clean up all the cables to get it lookin good :dunno:

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Take a look at hoojum.com for some lovely cases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    not using one myself, but they had one at the elara stand at that brighter homes expo thing at the rds a while back. so i guess elara stock em.

also saw a nice one running in marx computers when i was in there a while back.

Didn't realise that marx had a retail shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

or try a cheiftec case with a nice side clear side panel ,hmm classy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Didn't realise that marx had a retail shop...

yea its only a wee place just off fairview on the northside. its only about 20 mins away from my house an their dead handy when u need a part in a hurry.

yea its only a wee place just off fairview on the northside. its only about 20 mins away from my house an their dead handy when u need a part in a hurry.

Must check that out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Petri

be warned however, they do take a lot of time and care to put together and you have to plan it right, as once you have a motherboard in , it is a real mission to put anything into the bays at all best bet is to build the case, remove the panels, add in the harddrives etc , replace the back panel then put in your mobo.
    Just built a sharkoon case on saturday, relatively painless but time consuming

Originally posted by Petri
    be warned however, they do take a lot of time and care to put together and you have to plan it right, as once you have a motherboard in , it is a real mission to put anything into the bays at all best bet is to build the case, remove the panels, add in the harddrives etc , replace the back panel then put in your mobo.
    Just built a sharkoon case on saturday, relatively painless but time consuming

Why is it different from a normal case?

it comes flatpacked , you have to construct it from the base panels
    and the motherboard is fixed directly to the back plate of the case

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Petri
    it comes flatpacked , you have to construct it from the base panels
    and the motherboard is fixed directly to the back plate of the case

Are they sturdy enough once built? If you wanted to move it around etc.

yeah it seems so , wouldnt really want to place a CRT on it like, but seems fairly solid ( though im treating it with Kid Gloves at the mo anyway )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I built the clear ACRyan case from komplett - an easy build, but yeah, you do need to put the drives in first etc but it says all that in the instructions so its not an unpleasant surprise... case looks very well - there are 5 built in fan bays (one lower front, 2 at side, one at back and one on top) the one at front blows straight over the internal 3.5 bay so a nice place to get good airflow going and cool your hard drive - should probably get a fan system into one fo the external 5.25 bays to blow air over the memory, but all this air nonsense is probably just overkill...

one thing about the ACryan case, there is not a whole lot of clearance between the top of the board and the power supply - I had the jetfan7 but it was too big to fit in... it was knocking off the power supply - obviously a slightly different board might do the trick (i'm using a A7N8X deluxe) but nearly all amd boards have the CPU socket pretty close to the top of the board...

I'd post some pictures but my camera is out of batteries!

Combatcow is right too - trying to keep the cables tidy is a nightmare! I just gave up... I'm moving soon and will fix them up when I have more space to work on it...

I think I might buy a normal case instead. I'm not sure I could be bothered with all the work. Need some thing thats pretty strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I got one about 2 years ago from www.clearpc.ca
    They are the business and always get a good reaction from everyone who see's it went on to make two more for friends of mine just on a hobby basis..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah coming from fairview take a left at the malahide road and then take a right into the wee lane straight after the pub. Don't expect komplett prices but these folks are genuine and helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

Do clear cases not get scratched to bits?
    Bought some Acrylic from Woodies and made a window in my case.
    I was put off ever getting a clear case cause that stuff cant take any abuse.

Advertisement