Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Ballyfermot College Question

Options
  • 10-02-2004 11:43am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don’t know if this is in the correct forum but Mods feel free to move it to the more appropriate one if it exists

Ballyfermot College, my daughter is thinking of applying to the course involving Animation, I know very little about the course and whither it is a good or bad one. She’s really into art and wishes to learn the computer graphics animation also. Is this the best place in Ireland to do this and is the course a good one?
    ta
    a

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

From what my friend tells me (should be quite reliable but I don't know), it's the best animation college in Europe, and one of the top three in the world.

It might be quite hard to get in (it's portfolio based I presume), because there are a lot of foreign students going for places too.

Grace.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

thanks Grace

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Beruthiel i'll fire this over to the <<edit: college work>> forum - you'd probably get better replies there. there arent too many of the LC people or college bound on here anymore :) (give it a year, then a bomb of them hit it )
    Grace thats Claire is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

It's meant to be excellent. Quite a number of companies from the UK and Ireland come to the open day every year looking to snatch up people as they finish up. I'm not affiliated with it in any way either.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It is excellant.... I know a few people that went to it. Send her TBH

John

• Advertisement

thanks for you input peps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

So it is a good college yeah cuz i was just about to post and ask about the HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN MULTIMEDIA and the HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN COMPUTER GAMES DESIGN. R these courses good also?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Originally posted by crash_000
    Beruthiel i'll fire this over to the <<edit: college work>> forum - you'd probably get better replies there. there arent too many of the LC people or college bound on here anymore :) (give it a year, then a bomb of them hit it )
    Grace thats Claire is it?

Yes, well, she does textiles there, but most of her group seems to be in animation, and they sound like a nice albeit crazy crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    I don’t know if this is in the correct forum but Mods feel free to move it to the more appropriate one if it exists

Ballyfermot College, my daughter is thinking of applying to the course involving Animation, I know very little about the course and whither it is a good or bad one. She’s really into art and wishes to learn the computer graphics animation also. Is this the best place in Ireland to do this and is the course a good one?
    ta
    a

Right.

BCFE is a good college. however, when people say that such and such a course is best in Europe etc, you may want to look into it.

Having done LUDO (FETEC LEVEL2 CERT IN COMPUTER GAMES DESIGN).
    and also missed out on CGHND (HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN COMPUTER GAMES DESIGN). I can tell you a bit about my experience.

For one, our course co-ordinator for ludo was a waster.
    completely useless and un-reliable.
    Most of what was learned (apart from about 5 hours worth of basic training we got) we taught ourselves.
    There were 17 students in my class at the start of the year. 4 dropped out.
    We spent our days either browsing a horrendously slow web or else playing counter-strike. We would have mp3's blarring in the background and ppl would be messing and telling jokes.
    in between all this we got all the work we were ment to get done in our respective modules. It really did feel like we were part of a development team as the skills one person had were either shared with the group or else he was left to take care of that field of work for the class project.

Other Teacers were good. We learned quite a bit of programming, and we had one or two perfectionists.

OVer all the year was Good. Learned loads of 3d animation and game theory and had lots of laughs with *most* of the guys in there.
    I myself (as you should remember Anna) got into a bit o trouble to do with the inner politics of teh college. but apart from that, it was a good experience.

Now, the HnD for games design. Well, all the guys in my class (apart from me) are in there. One mate (ThrAx) has since dropped out, and going on what others have said its not really very good atm. ITs only new and started this year so it will take a while to work out the kinks in it. also the two class mentors are pretty new to the whole thing of mentoring.
    There are some *VERY VERY GOOD* teachers working in ballyfermot and in this course.

as reguards the animation (NON CG) and the CG courses.

Both are meant to be excellent. They require alot of dedication (or so i hear) and you recieve quite alot out of them.
    the CAD course is supposed to be very hard to get into and requires a very good portfolio and interview.

all information is on their website

www.bcfe.ie

ask your daughter which she wishes to do, computer animation or no cg based animation (using stills and pencils and do hickeys).

If she is fairly serious about it then get a prospectus and see which course would suit her the best.

cheers for that jp
    ya, she's already been up to the open day and has decided to do the 2 year course in Animation and then all going well, do the 2 year follow up course on it

I do remember your hassle with the in house politics, I didn't realise it was there :(

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry really.

as long as she aint a goth or non-conformist :D

Originally posted by Doodee
    I wouldn't worry really.

as long as she aint a goth or non-conformist :D

oh oh
    she's a bit of both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

in ballyfermot? she has nothing to worry about. i'm in there now doing a one year MND course and the place is a haven for the non-conformist type. the animation course is bitchin, it's very hands on. i have some friends in the animation class and they say they're already well ahead of most degree courses on the subject in any of the more 'prominent' colleges. because ballyfermot rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

because ballyfermot rules.

no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

dont be such a cynic, it's a better place than most.

because ballyfermot rules.

that is really a matter of opinien and depends on what course u did.

Originally posted by tibilt
    dont be such a cynic, it's a better place than most.

no...

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    no...

Dont reply unless you have something relating to the topic to discuss

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    no...

if you are going to say this, then give your reasons for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ronaldo, First warning. If you're going to reply with an opinion, well back it up, or don't bother replying.

John

Reply "no..." to this post and you're getting a week ban.

• Advertisement

Ignore me people. I was just joking.:rolleyes:

Advertisement