Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 20 gig mp3 player enough do you think?

• 10-02-2004 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Im confused...should i go for a 20gb iriver ihp-120 mp3 player or wait for the iriver-ihp-140 which is a 40gb version. I really want one but im wondering if the 20gb version is big enough?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

20GB should do just about anyone right now. I got a 60GB one, creative zen nx xtra, mainly because they can be used as storage. The iriver just plugs in with no extra software! But also they normally have an auto sync function which wont work if you run out of space. My music collection is nearing 12GB and I'm still encoding the last of my cd's on to my pc.
    In short, decide how much music you have and will have in time that you'll have the player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

how big is a cd in 190kbps quality roughly?

Cheers for the reply...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Do you not think it depends on the size of your music collection??? If it is > 20GB than the MP3 player is to small!

Seams pritty obvious to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

20 gigs should b more than enough
    i had a music collection of about 35 gigs
    then my hd crashed and i lost everythin but thats another story
    i only actually listened to about 6 or 8 gigs of it
    so i think 40 gigs is overkill if u are using it solely as an mp3 player
    if u are doublin it as an external hd then u will probably need the 40 gigs :)

Well ye i guess it is obvious but im just wondering...i mean, my cd collection of about 30cd's will take up 2 gigs roughly in top quality. And i have about 5 gigs of downloaded music. So i cant see myself filling it up personally...

• Advertisement

It's very handy to have the extra space for features like auto sync. But it really cost issue. The differences between a 20gb and 40gb one arent too big. (unless you want an ipod which you dont so good choice)
    If your just downloading music, firstly I wanna say support the musicians and buy the cd rather than just download. Buy online though and dont support hmv/golden disks/virgen etc. But over time your collection will grow and it's quite handy to have music backed up. Harddisk crash is very very very annoying and losing stuff that has taken ages to find is extremely annoying.

What is auto sync?

Oh and i definitely do buy the artists cd's, these are all just hip hop mixtapes which you cant actually buy unless your on the streets of New York.:)

EDIT: the only difference between a ihp-120 and ihp-140 is the hard disk size so i think ill just order one from amazon now.

EDIT AGAIN: Just ordered iriver ihp-120. Heard nothing but good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

20gb mp3 player could hold your life story,

its more than enough,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you can afford it, I'd go for a 40gig player. I've a 30Gig Zen NX and I've run out of space - thinking about upgrading to the 60gig NX Xtra.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

super_furry, mate a shop in Aungier St (called "Back From the Future")has a few 40 GB creative nomad jukeboxs for like €380, i bought one and my friend was messin with it, liked it and bought one himself!! have no prob's with them and there really are alot more reaible than the ipod

Regards: Is a 20 gig mp3 player enough do you think?

I have only used about 4GB so far and i have a load of Files in the storage section aswell but its like someone said that it all depends on the size of your music collection!!

hope this helps

Philip:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Was an interesting article in PC format, last months I think ,on how to add your own hard drive to a mp3 jukebox player.
    The article went from a 10gig to a 20 gig.
    wonder if you could buy a 120 gig drive and upgrade the MP3 player yourself?.
    DB

In two years time there will be 200gb mp3 players as standard...but realistically thinking im sure 20gb will be enough for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you might let us know how you get on with it.. I was going to buy the 20gig iriver unit a few months ago to take to friends gigs and record & encode them into mp3's without all the fuss. Might have to stick it on this years "christmas presents for myself" list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    how big is a cd in 190kbps quality roughly?

Cheers for the reply...

A full CD (74 mins, which most cds aren't) would take up 104MiB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I have a 30GB ipod, its has 27GB on it, my PC has 60GB+ on it, i listen to a very wide selection of music (supultura-Elliot smith-Jeff mills) so having such a choice at any given time is so sweet, ive had MP3 players for a long time (6GB jukebox, 5GB ipod, 10GB ipod, 30GB ipod) of course there is stuff on your PC that you may not listen to for over a year, but when you do wanna listen to it its there. same goes for you MP3 player.

The deciding factor would be: how much you use them and how big is you MP3 collection is?

I used to have a 20GB HDD, and i thought it was massive, i now have over 200GB storage on my PC, i think storage is gonna get bigger, but not for the amount for songs/media i think the quality of the media is gonna improve, i very rarely DL anysong under 160Kb, normally 192Kb.

quality, not quantity.

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Those IRiver ones are supposed to be excellent. And yes, 20GB is more than enough music, unless you record your stuff as WAV or FLAC, in which case you might want more.

My mate has the iriver 20gb. It's a great system. But I do think that the creative zen is much better. Got my 60gb for 420euro. It's great and should last for a few years at least.
    Auto sync is a part of the program that compares the files on the mp3 player and the computer and transfer between the two only the files that arent three. Much easier than remember what you've ripped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I have a 30gb Ipod. I have about 3200 mp3s on it which are taking up about 14gb. The other space comes in handy for file storage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I have an Origonal Jukebox Zen. Personally, i have about 45 gigs of flac on my computer, for that rich lossless sound, but for my portable, i convert to 128kbps wma. (i would convert to ogg, but my player don;t support that). The reason being, i'm listening to the music through cheap 8EUR headphones, its noisy around me usually, so i won't notice as much. I still do notice the sound quality drop when i connect it to speakers in friends houses, but i can live with that. At least now i can carry around all the music i could ever want to listen to.

If you;re like me, and want to bring everything you think you might want to listen to, get at least a 30gb (i have 5gb left though...). When i had a cd player I always hated not being able to listen to what i want, as i couldn;t bring all my cd's with me. It was a case of choose 5, and they better last til i get home. I like being able to pick anything out of my collection, at any time.

Thats the biggest advantage of carrying everything around. For those people who think its stupid getting a 30-60gb player saying "who could possibly listen to all that music, just get a 256mb player and be happy" i say NO. I mightn';t listen to it today, tomorrow, or next week, but i'll listen to it when i feel like it, not because its the only album on my 256mb player, and i can't change it til i get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

depends on how many songs you have rather than capacity. This is the most important factor because in practice you'll hit your head on the max number of tracks limitation before hitting the max. capacity of the HDD in the unit(only exception to this would be someone who has encoded everything in WMA lossless format or at 320kbps MP3).

Jukebox Zen Xtra 60GB can hold up to 16000 songs.
    JB Zen NX holds 8000.
    Don't know limit for iPod, thought I heard 10,000 somewhere but not sure.
    Players like the Philips have an even lower number - something like 3700 from what I remember.

• Advertisement

Im going for the iriver-ihp 120 because it has the most features over any other mp3 player out there. it looks slick , has the most features and is really good value for money when ordered from Amazon.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Thats the biggest advantage of carrying everything around. For those people who think its stupid getting a 30-60gb player saying "who could possibly listen to all that music, just get a 256mb player and be happy" i say NO. I mightn';t listen to it today, tomorrow, or next week, but i'll listen to it when i feel like it, not because its the only album on my 256mb player, and i can't change it til i get home.

Very well said and it's exactly the point why you get a big mp3 player.
    The iriver is pretty cool but I still think the zen is a much better player and does have more features than the rest. EX built in so what more you gonna want?

Advertisement