Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD writer brands

• 10-02-2004 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I'm putting a CD Writer into a friend's PC and want to get one that is reasonable built quality but not break the bank. So a reasonable manufacturer with reasonable specs would be ok, less than 65 euros.

Anyone have any experience with the MSI brand? They sell them at itdirect.ie (just around the corner from my office) for about 45 squid. I had asked for Samsung since I know that name, but they don't stock them (despite having them on their website) because MSI prices are lower at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

€38 from komplett, but I guess it works out a better deal @ ITdirect 'cos no shipping charges or waiting.
    MSI are a well known and IMO a very good quality brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

Thanks, Doc!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've heard the samsung 252 one on lomplett (which i'm about to install) is supposed to be quite good.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by frost

Anyone have any experience with the MSI brand? They sell them at itdirect.ie (just around the corner from my office) for about 45 squid. I had asked for Samsung since I know that name, but they don't stock them (despite having them on their website) because MSI prices are lower at the moment.

I would not recomend MSI, Komplett had them on special about a year ago and the number of threads on this board about them failing would put me off them. I have also had one fail but it was not from komplett. The samsundg 52 x is a good drive and also supports CD+G if you want to backup your karaokee disks which a lot of drives do not.

You should check out http:www//jaguarcompsys.ie for a samsung drive as they sometime stock them and as far as I know deal with Joe Public no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by frost
    I'm putting a CD Writer into a friend's PC and want to get one that is reasonable built quality but not break the bank. So a reasonable manufacturer with reasonable specs would be ok, less than 65 euros.
    Even PC World and Dixons have the higher speed Lite-On drives for a shade under 50 euros. Shopping around could well get you a nicer price.

Outstanding drives, they're the ones that work with CloneCD better even than the plextors. I don't know if the beand is still "lesser-known" but I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about them
    (I suppose that could be construed as a cue for complaints but I stand by my praise)

• Advertisement
Advertisement