Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone get X2 ?

Options
  • 10-02-2004 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

I couldnt because my pc is in for repairs .....and i douth this p2 could run it.....or pong for that matter

So did anyone get X2 the threat and what do you think of it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

tried to get X2 last friday when it was supposd to be out, went to gamesworld and smyths

Both looked at me with blank faces, told me they never heard of it and was not on there release dates

So i made do with the x2 demo on this months pc zone dvd, looks awesome, controls id say would be a bit awkward until you get into it, but the graphics look absolutely beautiful especially with everything turned on

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Whats your specs shizon ?

CPU: xp 2600 barton
    Mem: 665 Megs ram (2700)
    GFX: Hercules 9800 se 128 meg aiw softmodded to 9800 pro
    Hard disk: 80 gig 7200 rpm
    Mobo: msi k7n2 delta Nforce 2 ultra chipset
    Monitor: 17" inch e-machine monitor
    CD: Dvd cd rewriter combo

rest is just generic keyboard mouse etc

Shin

very nice

i get a adverage of 70fps on 1200 res with every thing but shadows on ......The problum with the game (roleing demo anyway) is it slows down a fair bit when ships are fighting on when theirs a uber close up of more than 10-15 ship's

Does this still happen in the Pc zone demo ?

mind is a

Amd 2600xp
    512meg pc2700
    80 gig 7200rpm 8meg c
    Geforce 5900lx (at 450mhz gpu and 850 ram)
    Gigabit mb

etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

oh well since everyone is doing it,ill join in.........:D

AMD 3000xp
    512 RAM pc2100 , pretty crap i know, soon to be upgraded to 3200
    40 gig hd, again to be upgraded !
    Mobo Abit NF2 2.0 400hmz fsb
    Monitor: 17" inch e-maichine monito same as shinons, well i got it with my old emachine but it doenst say it more like a generic monitor
    and to blow you all away a super MMX 440 Graphics Card that came with a happy meal.
    so its a pick and mix machine, im planning to upgrade the RAM and HD

• Advertisement

i noticed no slow down when fighting the ships, but i did notice a bit of jumpiness when your up close and personal with the big ships and starbases, theyd be in centre screen and suddenly when ye moved left or right itd jump rather than move

other than that nothing major i saw while playing, mind you i did blast the crap out of a police vessel and didnt last long after that LOL

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Got it last Friday in Game - no problem, they had loads of copies. I haven't had a chance to play much more than the tutorials yet, but the visuals are lovely and it seems to be shaping up very well...

I have one or two niggles so far. It seems quite hard to figure out exactly what is where in a system without resorting to the sector map (which isnt exactly the easiest thing to use), and also controlling the ship with the mouse is a little tricky, it tends to start spinning out of control if you move too much.

Oh and...

P4 2.6 Ghz
    Geforce 4600Ti
    512Mb PC2700 RAM

I have it set to 1024x768, bumpmaps & shadows both on. It runs quite smoothly alright, but I haven't gotten into any heavy-duty battle action yet so I might need to revise these settings. It does seem to slow down a good bit if something explodes right in front of me.

There's some lovely touches too, like being able to dock yourself (anyone remember the joys of docking in Elite without a computer?!?!), having to choose a berth once you're flying around inside the station, being able to comm with random people aboard other ships (and the captain, navigator etc) and so on, and the other touches like the factory that make beefsteaks called Cahoona bakery, with a big rotating neon burger beside it ("Big Cahoona Burger! That's that Hawaiian burger joint"...). And this is just in the tutorials.... if the problems I mentioned above are all I have to complain about, I'm in for some good gamin'!

how much did x2 cost you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its a pretty cool game so far tho Im not really very far into it. Just did a couple of the early missions and now taking a break to build up my empire :)

Not mad on the whole docking your ship gig tho as it slows down the building credits up alot and after the novelity wears off it gets boring.

• Advertisement

Well after the 10% off first-week loyalty card thing Game have going, and the fiver coupon they sent me in the post, it was €39.99 altogether.

I was thinking the exact same thing Venom, I can see the docking thing get pretty boring. Although if any assassination missions come up (if there even are any in the game?), or if some trader is screwing up my carefully planned trade routes, there'll be none of the old Frontier hang-around-for-a-week-outside-the-station lark... I'll just fly into the station and waste him while he's docked! Getting away from the station again might be another matter though... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive got it and I thinks its quite good also. Its a little odd that you cant really actually go dogfighting till around 10hrs in (your starting ship is simply too crap).
    I run at 60+ fps at 1600x900, everything on. (Athlon64 4300, 768MB DDR433, FX5950)

Knowing all the obscure shortcuts really helps:

"." brings up sector map. Get the Trading Extension and you can scan (use "u") stations and see their prices

"shift n" is the universe map.

"ctrl c" is the Command Menu for current ship. Get all system upgrades and you can give more complicated commands.

When you just enter the docking area of station (eg when the welcome msg is played) press "esc" to skip to the trading screen.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Also picked it up in game last Friday. Gameplay is fine, when you get bored with docking you can just set your autopilot to take you in. However, the cut scenes / story? Slow, boring, tortuous, misspelt..aargh! As for the whole mizuras, tizuras, jizuras thing! Whoever wrote this script should be shot! It's almost (but not quite) enough to put me off playing the game.....

I run at 60+ fps at 1600x900, everything on. (Athlon64 4300, 768MB DDR433, FX5950)

Show off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by bizmark
    Show off :p

Screw you...! At least I gave you those shortcuts!
    Besides, Im sure there is some poor sap with a PC half the speed of your "backup" PC. :D

Matt

my new back up with be a 2400xp pc as soon as the parts arrive

thank crist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

Got this on sunday and I've been playing nonstop since. There are a few issues, as mentioned. There are a lot of shortcuts you need to learn and the cut scenes are woeful at best. Other than that tho its a great game if you have the patience. I'm about 20 hours in and I still cant take on anything other than the least kitted out versions of the weediest pirate ships. But the fact that you can automate a lot of processes helps (right now I'm exploring in my scout ship while remotely commanding my transporter to bring in the bucks).

/me dreams of being able to afford a kitted out carrier in the future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Bought the game today. It appears somewhere along the line I lost my patience for games :) Its quite frustrating, but I'm willing to give it ago.

Oh btw, does anyone else have this problem.....Whenever I use the menu the text is doubled, but the second one is slighty higher up than the original, giving the effect that its blury, very blury. I can't even read it half the time.

That's the '3D text' I think, you can turn it off in Options in the main menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i douth this p2 could run it.....or pong for that matter

lol, true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Got it a coupla weeks ago...only finished the first mission...why cant I buy anything after I've dropped the components off???

Apart from that I've been using the demo to benchmark my rebuilt system ;)

Athlon XP2500@3100and a bit (394 fsb). 1gig PC3200 DDR. AIW9800se softmodded to 9800pro. 41fps with everything on at 1280*1024. In a dinky shuttle case without melting too!

Originally posted by Jazz
    That's the '3D text' I think, you can turn it off in Options in the main menu.

I have 3D text turned off. Just to make sure I tried turning it on, but the problem is still there.

Screeny.
    x2screen20.JPG

get the patch's from

www.egosoft.com you have to reg on there forum and enter your serial number

ewww, nasty.

yes im a couple of missions into this now, i have the transport, buggered if i know how to send it off for trading missions to make meself money :), bert or whats his face is outta jail and is now me wingman

And were off now to find out something really important about julian, wont say what it is for whoever is not there yet.

What ive done is sent the transport back to argon one and docked her there for safe keeping, but if someone can tell me how i send her off to trade that would be fantastic, manuals a bit vague on this.

getting pretty engrossing at this stage

Shin

Get some navigation software, and a trade system extension or whatever its called, then you can manually look around whatever system its in and use it to do some cargo runs while you're off galavanting... then when you've a good bit more money you can get best buy/best sell locators from the teladi, and then the ship'll run itself!

At least in theory.... haven't managed to get that far myself yet! :p

Originally posted by Jazz
    Get some navigation software, and a trade system extension or whatever its called, then you can manually look around whatever system its in and use it to do some cargo runs while you're off galavanting... then when you've a good bit more money you can get best buy/best sell locators from the teladi, and then the ship'll run itself!

At least in theory.... haven't managed to get that far myself yet! :p

nuttz hhavent got enough money for the trade ext lol

ah well in time

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

game sucks arse btw, and that my proffesional opinion :)

Originally posted by Wook
    game sucks arse btw, and that my proffesional opinion :)

And why do you say professional opinion, i absolutely love this game and am playing it constantly

Shin

• Advertisement

Just tried to download the automatic trading patch, but the link is down.

Anyone want to host it/ email it to me. Its only 77kb as far as i know.

Advertisement