Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL & phone extension cable

• 10-02-2004 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

folks

I'm moving back home & have to downgrade* to eircom's dsl (the horror the horror!)
    I've check the line & it passes so I've put my order in, now the only problem is that the room were the pc will be about 30 feet from the connection so I was thinking I'll just get some extension telephone cable & run up to the room, now my question is will slapping in a big phone extension cable affect the speed of the connection or will it stop it working all together..... also I've heard rumours that eircon are increasing there cap to 8gb in the next few months,,, can anyone confirm or discredit this?

* at the moment I have a sweeeeett 1mb wirless connection with no cap
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

No it should have no real effect - as for the cap, so far it's all rumors, we will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

cheers for the quick reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

before I got my wireless kit I had a 50ft extension cable running from the master socket downstairs to my bedroom upstairs and had great download & browsing speeds. Doesn't seem to effect it at all. The argument at the time was that the signal has to travel miles to get your house, so why should another 30 feet matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I work for a broadband isp and the tech spec we have say 30 metres before you'll notice any difference in speed provided its a good cable.

Advertisement