Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to become a Rescue Diver

• 10-02-2004 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

I reciently qualified as a PADI Divemaster in Austrailia and would like to put my skills to some use. I assume that the Coast Guard are always looking for volinteer rescue divers (surly there's not that many of them). Can anyone shead any light on this for me.
    ie: Who I contact? How I go about it? etc???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Do you mean the guys you see jumping from the chopper into the sea??
    Don't know if divemsater qualifies you to do that.

As for voluteering, would you not be better off talking to the RNLI than the Coastguard? I'd be interested to know how you get on. Keep us posted.

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Originally posted by Mick L
    Do you mean the guys you see jumping from the chopper into the sea??
    Don't know if divemsater qualifies you to do that.

As for voluteering, would you not be better off talking to the RNLI than the Coastguard? I'd be interested to know how you get on. Keep us posted.

Mick

Jumping from the chopper is exactly what I mean! DM probably isn't enough, wonder what is though.
    As for the other RNLI - thats exactly what I wanted, cheers, I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by Zulu
    Jumping from the chopper is exactly what I mean! DM probably isn't enough, wonder what is though.
    As for the other RNLI - thats exactly what I wanted, cheers, I'll keep you posted.

They have their own fitness tests you have to pass before you can do that job. I saw a program on National Gepgraphic about it and it was some crazy distance and time they had to meet before they were allowed to jump from the chopper.

I suppose its reasonable since usually rescuses are done in washing machine type conditions.

Keep us posted about any feedback you get on this Zulu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Just a thought but you may want to look at the garda sub-aqua unit and the air corps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ka

Hi!

The "Dope on the Rope" - ie the winch man is usually done by a member of the air corp after many years of training - and scuba diving is not one of the requirements as far as i know.

The Air Corp are the ones to talk to although there is a dispute at present regarding search and rescue services in Ireland and their provision by the Air Corp.

HTH

Ka:-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement