Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firefox and shockwave player?

Options
  • 10-02-2004 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I have firefox on my home folder in college, does anyone know if its possible to install the shockwave plugin with this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep.

Run the installer. When it asks you what browser you'd like to install it to, select the Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

I tried that but I get an error message saying.
    " you must select a Netscape Plugins folder to install into."
    any ideas?

Just did it there myself.

Download the latest version, FireFox comes up automatically.

If not, when it says "Select Browser", click on the "Other Browser" button, select your %HOME%\Mozilla FireFox\plugins folder and click ok.

It will say, "Setup could not find your browser's plugins folder. Click browse and locate your plugins directory", and at the bottom of the same page, it will have the path to the plugins folder you just selected, and a Browse button.

Ignore that and just click install. It should work fine.

still cant get it to work.
    Could the admins have done something stopping me from doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

shockwave is the work of the devil, general rule : dont install it. Only thing it provides is flashy ****e sites and annoying ads

• Advertisement

What college are you in? It's unlikely they could disable it.

shockwave is the work of the devil, general rule : dont install it. Only thing it provides is flashy ****e sites and annoying ads

There's a few games I play that need the shockwave plugin, such as foul words.

What college are you in? It's unlikely they could disable it.

DIT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

seamus you may have installed Firefox using the .exe installer or you may have rum some .reg files that set (in the reg) Firefox as the default browser - Callan probably hasn't. Callan where are you trying to install SW? do you have actual write permision to that particular place?.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    seamus you may have installed Firefox using the .exe installer or you may have rum some .reg files that set (in the reg) Firefox as the default browser - Callan probably hasn't. Callan where are you trying to install SW? do you have actual write permision to that particular place?.

Yeah, I just unzipped firefox to my home folder. So I was trying to install shockwave to the plugin folder of firefox on my home folder (probably should have said this initially).

What I want is to be able to open firefox (from my home folder) on any workstation in college and be able to have flash/shockwave working.
    Is this possible?

Originally posted by Callan
    Yeah, I just unzipped firefox to my home folder. So I was trying to install shockwave to the plugin folder of firefox on my home folder (probably should have said this initially).

What I want is to be able to open firefox (from my home folder) on any workstation in college and be able to have flash/shockwave working.
    Is this possible?
    That's what I do all the time in here. Not sure why it won't work for you though. :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Callan
    Is this possible?
    I dont see why not:confused:it should be easy point the installation to the plugins folder of firefox and Voila! it should just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

What you have to do is say yes to making it your default browser when you start it for the first time.

That sets some reg values and then the installer will find it.

Advertisement