Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource.So much for unlimited.....[merged]

• 09-02-2004 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

got a letter from netsource ,don't know what to do,36G is not that much for a month,they said no cap on this ,but now.......

Dear Sir / Madam,

Following an analysis of your Business Broadband SOHO usage in January
    please note that your usage has exceeded the acceptable traffic level
    described in our Acceptable Usage Policy ( AUP ). Your download level
    over these days was 36.74 GBytes.

We are writing to advise that you will be contending for network resources
    with the subset of other users whose usage also exceeded the acceptable traffic
    level. This contention level is at the same proportion as all our customers,
    however you will experience slower service that heretofore should this subset
    of users continue to download at above average levels.

We will be reviewing usage patterns again based on the month of November.

Yours Faithfully,

Netsource Support

PS : the AUP is available at
    http://www.netsource.ie/html/netsourcepolicies.html#aup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by mouse_busy
    got a letter from netsource ,don't know what to do,36G is not that much for a month,they said no cap on this ,but now.......

What's your problem? There is no cap, they're just sticking you in with all the other heavy users, so that you don't impact all the people with more normal usage patterns.

You'd be fine if it wasn't for all the other warez monkeys that you'll be contending with :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I got shifted onto the high-usage line for a 22Gig transfer total for the month of January, and there are 4 of us sharing the conenction in the house for college work, business and communications.
    The main reason for the increase of bandiwdth usage this month was a swathe of patches and new Linux updates which we needed to get.
    We even went as far as to isntall a web cache proxy in Novemeber to make more efficinet use of the line.

And this is how we are treated for paying €10+VAT over the odds of any other similar ISP package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

well i can see why netsource did it but im not saying i agree with em.

If theres 4 of yas why dont u just get a Esat Business line. Between 4 of yas ud easily afford it (unless u aint on an enabled exchange).

You gotta remember tho ur taking other peoples bandwidth and they dont think its fair either. Its not Netsources problem that there are 4+ppl using it and that all the Linux updates and stuff are out. ALl they see is you using the line more than they feel is fair to other users and instead of cutting you off or billing you they move you in with other heavy users? Seems like you coulda gotten it worse (tho also better).

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    well i can see why netsource did it but im not saying i agree with em.

If theres 4 of yas why dont u just get a Esat Business line. Between 4 of yas ud easily afford it (unless u aint on an enabled exchange).

You gotta remember tho ur taking other peoples bandwidth and they dont think its fair either. Its not Netsources problem that there are 4+ppl using it and that all the Linux updates and stuff are out. ALl they see is you using the line more than they feel is fair to other users and instead of cutting you off or billing you they move you in with other heavy users? Seems like you coulda gotten it worse (tho also better).
    We can't get Esat business, like you say we're not on an enabled exchange due to Eircom trickery ("There's no space in the exchange" "But what about those racks full of cross-bar switching kit from the 1950s?" "That's important telecoms backbone infrastructure and can't be touched") and we're 4 students which means it's a major investment (I don't qualify for the grant and can't work this semester due to volume of coursework and projects).
    We were 1 step away from signing up in December but due to the exchange issue it's not going to happen and besides, two of us are moving away for 5 months at the start of April so upgrading to Netsource SME could very well leave the remaining lads in the lurch if the incoming tennents can't afford /don't want to pay for the DSL.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Apparently if you just ring up and apologise and promise to be a good boy they'll restore your speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

if your not fussed about bad ping times,
    just use the proxy.netsource.ie:80
    and you can get full download speed all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Co33iE
    if your not fussed about bad ping times,
    just use the proxy.netsource.ie:80
    and you can get full download speed all the time.

If that's true (and it does sound a bit implausible?), i'd advise you to delete this post and just PM the original poster. You wouldn't want NS knowing you know, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

All this kinda thing starting up again is extremely worrying. Bad pings is not something I want paying the amount I'll be paying. I'm currently waiting on the product to be installed and since I've order thread after thread about ns bad pings, or caps has come up. Does anyone know if the higher SME pack is having the same problems. I know it won't be in regards download caps but in regards pings, has it gone to hell too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Its a pretty nice response to the problem, even if when we all originally signed up, the terms and conditions and AUP read differently.

Is this subset "exchange-dependant" does anybody know? i.e. Am we sharing with other high-level customers just on our exchange, or on the entire Netsource package?

We made 27.3GB last month here in Dundalk, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

It's been known for some time that they have capped their radsl to 16GB a month (or 4 GB a week).

Compared to others it's not unreasonable, and they could have cut you off but instead they just put you in contension with other high usage customers. Good way to teach some consideration eh? :rolleyes:

Your connection will probably be crap now, so I suggest you start looking at other ISP's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well, it's only fair to other users really, imo
    I mean, the amount of bandwidth is limited, even if the cap is 'unlimited'
    The pipe is only so big after all.
    People share the connection and if one or two hog it for considerable lengths of time downloading ridiculous amounts of data then it's unfair to others on the line.

If you behave yourself and don't get greedy then everyone get's faster download times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well I got caped again, for the third time, After the second time I asked to be upgraded to the SME product. They told me they will hold off till eircom bring in a "seamless upgrade" where I wont be offline for 4 weeks. Now at the time of asking to be upgraded, I asked will I be caped again in the mean time. and I was told that I will not be put on the higher contention again while I am waiting. That was in November. Still waiting to be upgraded and then I see the lovely e-mail from them saying I used 20.65gigs this month. (note there is my-self and 2 other people in the house using the connection)

Now I am really pi$$ed at netsource as I am only back on line since saturday after spending the past 2 WEEKS! off line. Over that time I had to lissen to them tell me it was because of my router.. so I got a new one, off the shelf here in work took it out of the box, set it up and nothing.... then was told it was its fault. :rolleyes:

Long behold I go to a mates house and they are working fine. I even had to take time off work to get an engineer out. Finaly I got it fixed on saturday and 3 days later I'm put onto the high contention line.... FFS like.

So I ring them up today and ask what the hell they are doing. The women who told me about not bing put back in the high contention line while waiting (Nicola) (oh wait am I aloud to post her name??? oh my bad....) Says she doesn't remember saying that to me. Also that they should be able to upgrade me next week (I've also been told that since November).

Right now to answer peoples questions I've seen on the tread.

1) the high contention line is done at netsource's end and not on the exchange. (thats why the proxy works well)
    2) Contention on the exchange level has never been reached as far as I know, so why should we pay when we sigend a different T&C and A.U.P. Surely they are braking some law about caping those who didn't sign that?

Now my question....

If the SME product is again 512/128 and with a contention of 24/1 or what ever it is, how come that is also not low on boandwidth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I presume that the condition "Netsource reserve the right to alter these terms and conditions at any time without prior notification" exhonerates them from any legal bindings of the terms and conditions we all signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by sutty
    so why should we pay when we sigend a different T&C and A.U.P. Surely they are braking some law about caping those who didn't sign that?
    Like I said in the other thread on the subject, IOL changed their T&C when they increased their cap to 8Gb. That doesn't mean that everyone had to resign them. All companies will reserve the right to change their T&C. If you don't like the new conditions than you have to cancel the service. By continuing to use the service you are accepting the new condidtions.
    Originally posted by sutty
    If the SME product is again 512/128 and with a contention of 24/1 or what ever it is, how come that is also not low on boandwidth?
    There is a set amount of bandwidth allocated for SOHO and for SME, so SOHO usage can't effect the SME customers. Doesn't seem like they are low on bandwidth though. Haven't noticed any low d/l speeds or high pings. It did hang for about a minute on 2 occassions, but other than that it's been fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

Originally posted by eth0_
    If that's true (and it does sound a bit implausible?), i'd advise you to delete this post and just PM the original poster. You wouldn't want NS knowing you know, right?

I was being throttled for one month and using the proxy dose allow good download speeds.
    but it dosnt bother me, I like good ping times so I stick to the download limits anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I presume that the condition "Netsource reserve the right to alter these terms and conditions at any time without prior notification" exhonerates them from any legal bindings of the terms and conditions we all signed.
    If you look closely at the T&C that you did sign, you'll find that there's nothing in them saying you won't be contending for bandwidth with other "high usage" users.

You're not capped. You can use all 160G, if you like, and if all the other "high usage" users go away on holidays for a month.

They didn't need to change the T&C to do this - the e-mail is just a courtesy to let you know what's going on, and give you a chance to decide whether you want to be contending with other users just like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

we're not on an enabled exchange due to Eircom trickery (There's no space in the exchange..)
    What do you mean due to eircom trickery? You mean there is no physical space for esat to set up? Im not trying to second guess you, just trying to make sure that we are talking about same thing here as Eircom have nothing to do with Business bar owning the actual physical location.

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    What do you mean due to eircom trickery? You mean there is no physical space for esat to set up? Im not trying to second guess you, just trying to make sure that we are talking about same thing here as Eircom have nothing to do with Business bar owning the actual physical location.
    Eircom have left a load of old out-dated and unused equipement in the Shantalla Exchange to take up space, thereby preventing Esat getting in there.
    ontop of that they put a large section of West Galway City (which has been very built-up over the alst 5 years) into this one exchange along with the current lines instead of doing what they should have done ie: build a new seperate exchange in Knocknacarra area.
    As it currently stands (afaik) no-one in Knocknacarra can get DSL as they're either too far away from the Shantalla exchange or are on pairgain lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Just don't go over 16 Gigs. I don't see what the big deal is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by SyxPak
    ontop of that they put a large section of West Galway City (which has been very built-up over the alst 5 years) into this one exchange along with the current lines instead of doing what they should have done ie: build a new seperate exchange in Knocknacarra area.
    As it currently stands (afaik) no-one in Knocknacarra can get DSL as they're either too far away from the Shantalla exchange or are on pairgain lines.

Not quite dude.

1. They chopped some 59x numbers out of Barna because the ducts were stuffed and they could get no more cable in to them and put them in a separate Knocknacarra exchange. The remainder of the 59x numbers are still in Barna and Furbo as before.

2. This exchange is a concentrator which screws up the AD conversions . It is a tiny building west of the hotel on the distributor.

3. Therefore it would give mingin readings on the DSL tests...affected areas are Ballymoneen and Cappagh, there is no plan to enable the Knocknacarra exchange for DSL with its own DSLAM which would be in front of the concentrator and unaffected by the dodgy AD conversions.

4. There is plenty of unused crap in Shantalla alright.

5. People in Knocnacarra with 58 numbers can get DSL, around the Cappagh Rd.

6. Rental income on houses in the affected area is already dropping, one fella I vaguely know put his rented house around Monalee on the market after his tenants left after struggling witha line that would not pass the DSL test and told him he could no longer get 'Professional' tenants because they would want BB in the house nowadays.

7. NTL could clean up with a 1Mb service in the Galway suburbs....the cable is new.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yup, the 16gb traffic limit has been known for months.

Strange thing is that the emails the posters have received indicate 'download allowance exceeded' rather than total traffic :confused:

Originally posted by Muck
    Not quite dude.

1. They chopped some 59x numbers out of Barna because the ducts were stuffed and they could get no more cable in to them and put them in a separate Knocknacarra exchange. The remainder of the 59x numbers are still in Barna and Furbo as before.

2. This exchange is a concentrator which screws up the AD conversions . It is a tiny building west of the hotel on the distributor.

3. Therefore it would give mingin readings on the DSL tests...affected areas are Ballymoneen and Cappagh, there is no plan to enable the Knocknacarra exchange for DSL with its own DSLAM which would be in front of the concentrator and unaffected by the dodgy AD conversions.

4. There is plenty of unused crap in Shantalla alright.

5. People in Knocnacarra with 58 numbers can get DSL, around the Cappagh Rd.

6. Rental income on houses in the affected area is already dropping, one fella I vaguely know put his rented house around Monalee on the market after his tenants left after struggling witha line that would not pass the DSL test and told him he could no longer get 'Professional' tenants because they would want BB in the house nowadays.

7. NTL could clean up with a 1Mb service in the Galway suburbs....the cable is new.

M

Thanks for the clarification :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....and none of it is Netsources fault either :D

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I live on the Cappagh road so I have a 591*** number, I need dsl to play qw (a game). I think it's stupid that the exchange isn't already upgraded (not sure if I'm on the knocknacarra or Barna), but this news that there is no plans to pisses me off. I live 15 mins away from the 3rd biggest city in Ireland ffs :(. Ntl would be great tho, you sure about the new lines? I'll drop them an e-mail regardless.

[edit] Hmm, I've just checked the NTL website and it appears they don't offer dsl to anyone outside of Dublin.....would any of ye happen to work for NTL? :P [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Just don't go over 16 Gigs. I don't see what the big deal is here.

Don't see what the big deal is ?!! I can go through 16GB in 2 days !
    No other uncapped BB offer in the world punishes you for 16GB a month.

If you signed for uncapped there should be no monthly limit.
    They advertise and sell a service that they can't provide.... basically it's a lie !

Their AUP http://www.netsource.ie/html/netsourcepolicies.html#aup is so blur and unprecise about the excessive usage that if I were one of their subscriber I'd complain to ComReg http://www.odtr.ie and would eventually go to the small claim court just for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

change the record, this argument has been flogged to death :rolleyes:

they dont advertise of sell the service as no download limits anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, how do you designate an email addy from netsource?

I assume they are probably using my login addy to send notifications, but it doesnt work ..hmm, probably closed tomorrow, will call them next week.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

give them a call and they will set it for you. It was previously linked to whatever domain name you registered with them i.e. xxxxxx@yourdomainname. Dont know what way they do it now

Advertisement