Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

datawrite dvd-r

• 10-02-2004 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

svp are doing spindles of the yellow datawrite dvd-r discs (the ones that peats do for €30) 25 discs for the princely sum of £12. the only thing to beware is the delivery cost, which is about £15 no matter how much u buy (to a point), so buying a couple of tubs is a must.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

play.com are doing 25 dvd-r (1-4x) Memorex brand for £17.99....free p&p
    I got some last week, they're grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

pricestorm.com

25 dvd-r (4x) for 22euro inc p&p

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ooh, Pricestorm seems cheap. Does Free Delivery include RoI? Have ya ever bought from them?

Yes ... in my exp shipping takes 5 working days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Memorex -R's from play.com seems like a real bargain.. (around €1.04 each)..
    They're classed under 'Gadgets' which I beleive that Play don't ship outside of the UK though..
    Have you ordered these before? Did you get 'em Eth0_?

I Wouldn't recommend the datawrite Yellows.. They're rubbish.. What is pricestorm selling?

• Advertisement

http://www.pricestorm.com/moreInfo.asp?code=BULDVDMR4XO&tabGroup=COMP1

Bulkpaq DVD-R 4.7Gb Orange 4X speed (25 tub)
    14.39 stg

works out about 22euro

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

I have used the datawrite yellows thats peats are selling and never had any problems with them

but the orange from pricestorm i havent used are they any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've used a bunch of yellow datawrite 4x from peats, no problem with them here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown

I Wouldn't recommend the datawrite Yellows.. They're rubbish..

Best blank DVDs I've used so far. Not rubbish, quality and cheap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

The Orange BulkPaq's are very good in my experiance especially for the price. I haven't had 1 coaster yet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

dammit, Peats were sold out today of datawrite -r's

The Peats Datawrite Yellows are fine for data, e.g. backups etc (I personally wouldn't risk it though!), but I've had 0% success with Movies(very poor playback)/PS2 backups(don't work at all). (btw: I'm using a Pioneer A06).
    chabsey: quality and cheap.
    Quality? I think not! Cheap, Yes! and you get what you pay for!

The Datawrite Yellows are manufactured with the Princo dye, insted of RitekG04. I'm using DataSafe Riteks at the moment, and they all work perfectly for all targetted uses.

Have a look at this media test. See the comment at the bottom of the page, i.e.: Update - The price of these blanks has recently dropped significantly as it seems that they have gone the same way as most datawrite media (reduced cost and quality). I can no longer recomend these.

This would suggest that while the yellows may have been good in the past, entire batches are now rubbish. Some of the comments on the DVD Media List would suggest that this may be the case.

I still have around 15 Yellows, if anyone wants them? You can have 'em for free - Wont get a better bargain than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

krusty where do you get your DataSafe Riteks?

I got them from SVP Communications (http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/).

They're up there at the moment (DV 3081) for £16, but unfortunately, as you'll have seen from this forum, their postage charges are a little excessive.

This guy is (I believe) based in Northern Ireland, so postage may be cheaper (only find out after you order).

The Play.com memorex's may be the best bargain at the moment..

Quality? I think not! Cheap, Yes! and you get what you pay for!

Well let me put it this way. I haven't read anything about the Datawrites online, I bought my first batch from Peats and was worried about them not being of good quality. I burned movies not data on all 25 discs and 24 worked, one of them had been damaged in the spindle (visible exterior damage) and it failed near the end. However, the movie I burned on to the failed disc even worked (up until the failed part, 5 mins from the end...and that was on a PS2!) I've tested the discs in about 10 players from about 6 different manufacturers.

They burn at 4 speed and like I said they ALL worked for me bar one, and they had a much more quality feel than the pieces of crap Peats went on to sell (QP Brand which only burn at 2X despite claiming 4X).

If I was to believe everything I read online in terms of reviews of DVD-R hardware and software I would never have bought my burner (LG404B) cause it got a bad review on CDfreaks, yet it has burned everything I've thrown at it so far.

At 30 euros for 25 discs I did indeed get what I paid for, and in the case of the datawrites it was a cheap, quality product. The issue might lie with SVP's batch of datawrites but from what I can tell from this thread anyone who bought the Peats datawrites has had no problems with them. Obviously this could change but maybe you just got a bad batch, or equally maybe Peats just got a good batch?!

I'll probably buy the bulkpaq from pricestorm next though as Peats prove themselves incapable of getting the datawrites in regularly.

Double post deletion.

I still have around 15 Yellows, if anyone wants them? You can have 'em for free - Wont get a better bargain than that!

Actually I'd be interested to test them on my burner to see if it causes a problem. Like I said I've yet to have a disc fail for no reason so I'd be very curious to see if your yellows are duds for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

I got 4x yellow dvd-r media last week from mediawrite.ie and have used 16 and they are all good, I used 1x yello Before and 1x White princo and never had a coaster, I had multiple coasters with purple bulkpac and green White label Dvd's, have had 3 different burners, the sony dru500a, an NEC nd-1300a and now a LG 4040b and it was the same result with each of them, what burner are you using?, cant see it as a compatibility issue though?

chabsey: The issue might lie with SVP's batch of datawrites but from what I can tell from this thread anyone who bought the Peats datawrites has had no problems with them.
    Actually, I bought my yellows from Peats.. :D
    chabsey: Actually I'd be interested to test them on my burner to see if it causes a problem

You're welcome to them. I'd be interested too.. Like I said, the problems have been in batches, so the batch I bought at XMas, may not be from the same batch you bought in xx/yy.

One of the previous threads on the bargains board (concerning the Datawrite yellows) suggested that the problems may be manifested by the media/burner combination (and I think from memory, that Pioneer advised staying away from the Datawrite Yellows).

I work in D2, if that's any good for you to pick them up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

If Chabsey can't get to you Krusty, I'd like to take them off you.

Working in D2 also.

Thanks,

viking

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ando
    krusty where do you get your DataSafe Riteks?

http://www.pricestorm.com/moreInfo.asp?code=DTSDVDMR01&tabGroup=COMP1

17.99stg inc P&P to ireland with svp/blankdiskshop delivery is expensive

works out at 26euro ish

Cheap for ritek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

hussey nice one for the link !!!

Viking: If Chabsey can't get to you Krusty, I'd like to take them off you.

Sure thing.. I'm working in the Treasury Building.. So if you want to pick them up at some stage, pm me for details.. What kind of writer do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Anybody got any experience with these bulkpaq printable discs? If they are any good then they are a brilliant bargain, just over 17euro for 25 with free delivery from pricestorm. svp have them for a similar price plus delivery.

What kind of writer do you have?
    NEC 2500A 4x drive

viking

PS. The Treasury Building is on Grand Canal Street, yes?

Viking: PS. The Treasury Building is on Grand Canal Street, yes?

That's the one.. Big tall building, with a naked gold woman climbing up the side. ;)

byte

Originally posted by viking
    NEC 2500A 4x drive

Don't ya mean 8x drive? :o

I got one of them recently. Good so far, though I've only burned Princo 4x discs.

Originally posted by byte
    Don't ya mean 8x drive?

Doh, you're right, 8x it is...

viking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by John R
    Anybody got any experience with these bulkpaq printable discs? If they are any good then they are a brilliant bargain, just over 17euro for 25 with free delivery from pricestorm. svp have them for a similar price plus delivery.

That looks like a great price - blanks are getting cheaper and cheaper! I'm going to pick up a pack of 25 to try them out with a pioneer 106.

• Advertisement
    byte

There doesn't seem to be too many discs that don't work with a Pioneer 106!

Bit harder to get ones that are proven to work with NEC 2500a I have found. Datasafe Media (the more expensive one) and Princo seem to be the best for this one.

Advertisement