Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New broadband site launched

• 10-02-2004 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

The Minister for Communications has launched a new website, for consumers to find the most cost-effective broadband services in their area. The website will offer details on suppliers and prices. The site also allows people to vote for broadband in their area, acting as a barometer for future demand. Minister Dermot Ahern has said the government is putting huge pressure on private broadband companies to provide access, which doesn't exist in certain areas. Minister Dermot Ahern has said " we have some way to go yet but the government is putting pressure on the private industry, it is an open industry but we are putting huge pressure on them. We are investing a considerable amount of money into critical areas that we believe need investment in order to provide access that is not there."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i read this aswell on breakingnews.ie, i actually re read the article a few times as (typically) it doesnt mention the url. made me smile.

dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Site address

It actually appears to be halfway useful. The details seem to be reasonably accurate if not totally up to date. No mention anywhere so far (after an admittedly very quick scan) of the geographic limitations though (specifically for IBB and NTL who rate the best on price per month) but oher wise halfway decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

no CAP information in the list of providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Ripwave is listed as 0.5Mbps both ways. It's actually 128K up isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well they seem to be claiming that both Esat and Eircom are available in Kildare town when everything I've been told is that DSL is not available there yet. So is this list actually genuine or just a government wishlist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

is it just me or does that site not work ? on both address given ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Its working for me fine. Using Mozilla firefox (0.8) browser. Just checked IE as well. Its fine too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the broadband availability checker on that website is inaccurate, it states that Clara, Co. Offally has DSL broadband by ESAT, the town has no broadband at all coz my relations live there and have been on to the companys for months asking for it plus it dont show up on the companys websites. Also some towns that have dsl when you click on them it says they dont have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by BendiBus
    Ripwave is listed as 0.5Mbps both ways. It's actually 128K up isn't it?
    The upload speed is supposed to be 128Kbps. (To be honest, I never checked).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

well apparently netscource and UTV don't exist, neither does leap

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well they really should have checked their sources.
    Irishbroadband is listed as being available in Celbridge,yet I rang them on Friday and there are no plans for Celbridge yet.Typical government website.
    Richie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by Skanger
    well apparently netscource and UTV don't exist, neither does leap

Leap are now up on the site. Maybe there updating it? As for ns, they simply business so prob won't go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We've been using Netsource in Carlow for months, but according to that thing (website is far too grandiose a term) only Eircom and Esat are available

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Smurphy

Yep, totally inaccurate site.
    I live in Kildare town also. According to this web-site both Esat and Eircom BB are available. Which contradicts what I have heard from Eircom which is that there are no plans for BB in Kildare town before the end of March.

perhaps it is a government wishlist....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

And no NTL listed for Knocklyon , though I'm almost sure I've been using it for the last 6 months:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Leap and Irishbroadband listed for Limerick...i wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Oh yes, the ususal concept surrounding BB. Nice idea, badly executed - ironic that the site mirrors the general bungling that hovers around the entire issue of BB...

Advertisement