Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new areas in security ?

• 10-02-2004 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Yup, it's that time of year again when all the students are looking for projects.

What are interesting new areas of security ? or areas that people reckon could be getting bigger ?

Stuff I've looked at is SELinux, and possibly implementing a policy server daemon for controlling a selinux lan. Possibly plugging this into an IDS and dynamicly restricting traffic based on the IDS output. A bit dodgy though as it could be fairly vulnerable to a DOS.

Implement the TCPA spec on some sort of bootable medium. Install a driver, accessed via a BIOS interrupt. Would be able to interact with the IBM TPM driver software and allow for people to experiment with trusted computing without having to get a TCPA enabled motherboard/smartcard.

just rough ideas I've had not amazing well thought out. Curious for people in the know's ideas/opinions. Good/interesting areas to look at ?

Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

There is nothing really new as such to security that hasn't been there before, rather there are only finer grained enhancements of predecessors. I've already noticed you have a keen interest in trusted standards and SELinux is definately a great choice to build knowledge on. You should also check out the trustedbsd extensions for freeBSD if you are keen in implementing MAC access standards and other hardening policies.

Going from trusted standards to non-trusted, you could setup a honeypot/net for personal logging purposes, you would be amazed with the amount of information you will receive by just mainining one for a few months. Give it a try..

Other than that, there is nothing extremely interesting to look at.. Or at least nothing that I can think of right now.

Regards,
    John.

Advertisement