Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom trigger level requires 110% takeup

Options
  • 10-02-2004 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

Although I should be working, I went to the dsltrigger.eircom.ie site to see what the trigger level was for Ballyhaunis. It is 470, in a town of around 400 households!!

So basically unless Eircom plan to sell broadband to cows in the near future, it is a total and complete joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Not that I had expected any different, but according to dsltriggers.eircom.ie

Kinnegad
    Trigger Level: 304
    Current Level: 0

So from a trigger of 100 people in August 2002 that I was given, it has now more than tripled.

Ah well....

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Although I should be working, I went to the dsltrigger.eircom.ie site to see what the trigger level was for Ballyhaunis. It is 470, in a town of around 400 households!!

Viking,

Its all very well complaining about trigger levels and such, but obviously the reason €ircon have set a trigger level in excess of the number of households, is that it is not "Economically Viable to provide it unless demand outstrips reality:D

Accept the fact that your/our input and contribution to society is not worth a sh$te:p , particulary when compared to that of our urban big brothers,

Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Oh yeah, and the fact that you were looking at the eircom trigger site when you should have been working :eek: just goes to prove my point.

Wexfordman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by wexfordman
    demand outstrips reality
    Oooh, I like that. I'll have that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Viking,
    Its all very well complaining about trigger levels and such, but obviously the reason €ircon have set a trigger level in excess of the number of households, is that it is not "Economically Viable to provide it unless demand outstrips reality:D
    Accept the fact that your/our input and contribution to society is not worth a sh$te:p , particulary when compared to that of our urban big brothers,
    Wexfordman
    You know, your right. I have seen the light...:p
    Oh yeah, and the fact that you were looking at the eircom trigger site when you should have been working just goes to prove my point.
    As much as I love guilt, I'm afraid if you look at the first post of this thread you will see that it was that Urban Weigl fellow who was being a dishonest worker not me :ninja:

viking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

As long as I get my work done, I don't think whether I spend 5 minutes on the Eircom web site and make a quick post here has any relevance on this thread. I should point out that boards seems to be busiest during the week and during working hours. ;)

Back on topic however, there is no reason why upgrading even a small exchange would not be economically viable, unless (and this is the big one): you're making a KILLING on dialup.

It may have been unviable years ago, but at this stage it takes half a day to upgrade an exchange, and assuming that said exchange has fibre, the cost is only about 10k. Today's DSLAM's are available in tiny "pizza box" form, which will fit in even the smallest spaces. And you do not need to buy hundreds of ports. In brief, and most people probably already know this, when Eircom say that it is economically unviable, they are doing nothing short of telling a big lie at the expensive of our economic future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

What we need to do Urban is start building tiny houses and finding leprechauns to move into them and that will get the houses upto the level required. Well hey! it is as realistic as expecting to get DSL in Ballyhaunis in the near future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Wexfordman

Ah sure, isn't wexford one of the few counties where the social welfare spend is greater than its exchequer contribution from taxation . :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off-topic junk split and moved here.

I've asked you all before to stop but you haven't. Wexfordman, I dont want to see you raise this junk again in any form, its been debated to death. Ripwave, dont rise to anything that wexfordman or Muck say, please leave it. Muck, cease the provocation of ripwave. A weeks ban will be handed out without any further warning to any of you three if you continue to bitch and scratch each others eyes out.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

is it just me or is their something really scary about that dsl trigger site. its a wee bit too communist for me...and has a faint tone of screw you about it..or maybe im just a little too paranoid about it...

and yet again, i eeee aw in a response...we are supossed to get it by 2005..hook, fecking line and fecking sinker...i just know it BS but i cant stop myself...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Off-topic junk split and moved here.
    My hero! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its probably safe to mention the word 'Rural' again <phew :rolleyes: >

The pattern on the Eircom trigger site is that every exchange within 20 miles of a large town (eg Galway) has been included. Thats irrespective of the size of the population served by the exchange.

Outside these bands the number required is about 1000 in the town at the last census.

The triggers on the Eirocm site are therefore

1000 people in the town and rural district centred on the town as of April 2002

AND/OR

Proximity of exchange to Galway Limerick Cork Dublin (thats over 20 miles out , more like 40 which is only right) and Waterford.

As many of these towns with populations of 1000 seem to have a threshold of 300 , and as the AVERAGE household size nationwide is 2.8 , they have all been set a target of near enough 100% demonstrated BB demand .

About 40% of households have computers to complicate matters even more. 40% into 100% kinda does not compute . 40% Computer Ownership and 50% of households demonstrating demand is a gap that can be bridged.

It is technically and economicaly feasible to provision ADSL in blocks of 64 ports . It could be that it takes a while to provision the next block if you fill one up but a stepped approach with disclosure of the steps would be far more sensible IMO .

The thresholds are frankly ludicrous and should be halved if Eirco are in any way serious.....I for one do not believe they are.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Urban Weigl

So basically unless Eircom plan to sell broadband to cows in the near future, it is a total and complete joke.

Just wondering-the town is about 400 households-couldn't the exchange service households outside the town area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by jd
    Just wondering-the town is about 400 households-couldn't the exchange service households outside the town area?

Possibly, though going by the quality of the lines, I doubt that would add much. And judging by the situation in Castlebar (also in Mayo), even people in the middle of town might not be able to get it due to line failures.

No matter what way you look at it, and even assuming rural Mayo went from 0% to more broadband crazy than South Korea, it still would not be possible to hit the trigger level. Anyway, infrastructure doesn't work that way. We don't ask everyone to buy cars, before building roads. It is the other way around.

Edit: I am just making a point. Trigger levels are not the correct way to go about infrastructure. The service should be rolled out to all exchanges instead. What you need is either strong regulation, or strong competition. The only reason this was not done here is that we have neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its all very well complaining about trigger levels and such, but obviously the reason €ircon have set a trigger level in excess of the number of households, is that it is not "Economically Viable to provide it unless demand outstrips reality

Since when have Eircom based any of there bull **** speel in reality :)

Advertisement