Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spynet - What is it? how do i get rid of it?

Options
  • 10-02-2004 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Currently on my XP machine i have not a virus but some sort of program called spynet i think i was told by the Tech assistant who looked at it, In short it is a program that is added on when you dloaded other programs, in this case it was added to imesh when i dloaded it. What it does is basically when you press the 'B' key on your keyboard it searches its entire database for anything withe the letter 'b' in it. This slows up your computer a helluv alot. The Tech guy said the computer needs to be wiped, there is a load of important programs on like a program for supervising hotel cameras over the internet. this program can only be installed by the registered company and costs quite a bit. therefore it is imperative that i get this program off another way.

A friend of mine -ADREN- suggested i use something called adware, but he is away at the moment.

Any relevent info on how to clear this mess up without wiping the hard drive would be appreciated

I reckon the TECH guy doesn't have a great enough knowledge.

Appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if it's a program you might be able to add/remove it. adware or spybot remove files and software that are known to interfear with your machine, i.e. "spyware". see if it's in your add remove programs folder and if so, remove it. You shouldn't have to wipe your comp to do this.

In the case of the software you need, try this: copy the folder that contains the program for the hotel cameras onto another computer and see if it runs from there, if so great :) might need to be configured though.

actually DON'T REMOVE the program spynet, simply because I did a google and the results i have are that to do with survillance, which may have something to do with your hotel camera setup. what's the name of the program you use to access the cameras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Nedrac

Spynet is also the name of the surveliance company that installs the cameras, but apparently there is another program on it as well as the camera program, perhaps its not even called spynet. Will adware or spyware pic out this software if it is installed. and also i have tried moving the camera folder to another computer ,however it does not work. BTW if i restore my system from two weeks ago will it erased files saved from within the last two weeks

cheers

well if it is a legit program spybot shouldn't pick it up, but if there is a spyware program by that name it will pick it up (if your scanning software is up to date) check what adware says about the file. If it's located in somewhere like c:\program files\spynet it's more than likely your program you're using. TBH what you're doing sounds a bit dodgey, using software for cameras installed by a company using software called Spynet, is what you're doing legal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

see the stickies
    in addition to adware

spywareblaster
    spybot

etc.

backup system state and then if the progs above find anything they will tell you.

Ya might as well get a firewall / googlebar / firefox(mozilla / firebird) to help prevent reoccurance.

all the above work off lists so low chance of removing a needed program

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Nedrac

no its all completely legit. my da is a security nut who runs a hotel and he likes to see what is going on even when he is not there.

Thanks for the help anyway

Advertisement