Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another bloody NCT question!

Options
  • 10-02-2004 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story with windscreen cracks? Some bastard little stone chip about 4 mm wide has become a 12 cm crack in the top right corner just beyond the swept area.

Anyone know if thats an NCT failure?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

According to http://www.nct.ie/Inspection_list.htm "glass" is on the inspection list so you could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

if it's in the top right hand corner, you could try putting your tax/insurance disc holder over it, dodgey though.... the b@stards failed me last week for not having the name of my county in irish on the license plates (i'm no boy racer with Nitro Nissan Micra or anything, dealer just left nothing on it)... that's when the permanent marker and a ruler came out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

the b@stards failed me last week for not having the name of my county in irish on the license plates

I didn't think that that was wrong cause I once seen a car with a Galway registration and he had 'Corcaigh' above the G. God that guy went to extremes.

Mike I'm not to familar with the NCT but I know they can only fail you provided it affecte the performance of the car. Personally I'd get it fixed cause you know how ignorant these people are. They may argue that it is impairing your vision or some bullsh1t excuse like that

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

the license plate thing only came in last september apparently, so if it was tested before that or hasn't been tested yet, they'll get away with it.... or do what da boyz in da civics do and swap them for the test and swap then back.....

isn't windscreen cover part of most insurance policies? i got mine replaced last year under the insurance (and before anyone says it, the premium didn't go up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

theres an area in front of the driver, about 1.5ft sq that must be free of cracks, otherwise you're fine - passed last week with a bad chip thats developing into a crack, and a friend passed with a crack that runs the full width of his wind screen...which was low enough to not be in the drivers field of visions:confused: bit silly really though, even he couldn't believe it passed - he's expecting the whole windscreen to blow in some day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought I'd be okay if out of direct vision, and I will have to replace it a some point but want to leave it as long as possible (money to be spent elsewhere).

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by mike65
    but want to leave it as long as possible (money to be spent elsewhere)

Perhaps a new set of alloys Mike? :D

Originally posted by ando
    Perhaps a new set of alloys Mike? :D

You saw that picture then....! I'm going spending tomorrow - an Argos catalogue car polisher and a 12v plug-in tyre pump - oh the thrill of it all :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You have nothing to lose by doing the NCT with the crack because even if it fails on the crack it will not cost you anything to get the retest after you have it fixed because it is a defect that can be checked visually so the car will not need to go inside inside to be checked. Good Luck

Good point! (btw its not due until April 12th but they've booked me a provisional spot for Mar 9th which was mighty foward of them).

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement