Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 40Euro a months offer confirmed?

• 10-02-2004 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

My gf just had an eircom engineer out to her house tonight who showed them all bb. They getting it come first on march and were told it 34 a month ex vat ie the 40euro a month one. Has eircom def confirmed this and if so where is there any info on the breakdown on the different products?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

no details of this 256k product have been published yet . It should be Here 21 days before launch ...and it ain't. Nor is it Here in wholesale.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Is it def only 256? Any news on caps or anything? I'm going up to her house tomorrow so hopefully going to get my hands on the contract they been given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

How did she get a contract for a product that does not offically exist , any chance you could scan it and upload it for the IoffL forum Ryaner , disguising the obvious bits of course?

A copy to Comreck would be nice, I;d love to hear what John has to sy about it :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Ryaner
    My gf just had an eircom engineer out to her house tonight who showed them all bb.
    An "engineer"? To put a CD into a laptop and "show them broadband"?

Are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

256Kbps is not broadband.
    neither is 512kbps or even 1Mbps.
    broadband starts at 1.5Mbps (ie a T1/E1 line).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Broadband is the ability to transmit more than one signal over a medium. It's nothing to do with speeds. The opposite is baseband where only one signal is carried. ISDN is broadband. Thanks to marketing groups, we have this sort of misinformation knocking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Broadband is the ability to transmit more than one signal over a medium. It's nothing to do with speeds. The opposite is baseband where only one signal is carried. ISDN is broadband.
    Nope. Broadband refers to the amount of frequency spectrum being used. Baseband refers to a signal that occupies a frequency band starting at 0Hz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assume the 256 product will have even further reach, and even less prequal requirements? Anyone any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

256Kbs!!?? - we are going BACKWARDS:mad:, what a joke.

Originally posted by davros
    Nope. Broadband refers to the amount of frequency spectrum being used. Baseband refers to a signal that occupies a frequency band starting at 0Hz.

Actually you are both right. Broadband uses a wider frequency band to send more than one signal. They are mutiplexed so mutiple signals can be sent at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'm glad I came into work today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

are according to this

it means:

broad·band ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brôdbnd)
    adj.
    Of, relating to, or having a wide band of electromagnetic frequencies: a broadband network

or

broadband

adj 1: of or relating to or being a communications network in which the bandwidth can be divided and shared by multiple simultaneous signals (as for voice or data or video) 2: responding to or operating at a wide band of frequencies; "a broadband antenna" [syn: wideband]

As for going backwards? For the light user a 256k product would be welcomed if its cheaper than the full 512k. I think this is a side step not one backwards. More light users come on the better it is for one and all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    As for going backwards? For the light user a 256k product would be welcomed if its cheaper than the full 512k. I think this is a side step not one backwards. More light users come on the better it is for one and all.

Bullscutter! €40 a month for a 256Kbit product with 48:1 contention and probably a 4 Gig cap is pathetic. While other countries continue to improve services and increase speeds, Ireland goes in the opposite direction, increasing contention and lowering speeds. I hate €ircon with a passion :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wow 10 euro cheaper for 1/2 the speed and half the cap of esat

good bless eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Originally posted by ronoc
    Actually you are both right. Broadband uses a wider frequency band to send more than one signal. They are mutiplexed so mutiple signals can be sent at the same time.
    That describes DSL but it doesn't cover a cable modem using single carrier modulation. Sorry, I'm being very argumentative, I know :rolleyes:

Is 256kbps useful? I'd say so. The big attraction of broadband for me was being able to watch university lectures at 128kbps, so that's still covered.

The price is wrong though. I was expecting eircom to reduce the 512k price, not offer a crippled product.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmmm if it is true that the €40 option being 256bps and 4gig cap this dont look too good for the €53 a month service gettin a cap increase:( hope im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is 256kbps useful? I'd say so. The big attraction of broadband for me was being able to watch university lectures at 128kbps, so that's still covered.
    It's a big difference for a lot of people who can't get the current offering, like me. It's a big improvement on 56K.

But I doubt it's 256. Aren't eircom dropping their wholesale rate? That's probably the figure he bandied about to Ryaner tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah Seamus, I remember the €40 figure being thrown about a month ago in relation to a reduced wholesale price for the 512K-class packages.
    And a 256K product should cost half the price (allowing for a small base overhead) of a 512KBit product.
    If someone puts forward the argument that the baseline overhead is around €30 then why isn't 1Megbit/256 available for €60+vat in Ireland (proximity to the exchange applying)??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

From what I have heard Comreg have throwing that back, its not been allowed at the moment

we will all have to wait and see !!!!!!!!!

That describes DSL but it doesn't cover a cable modem using single carrier modulation. Sorry, I'm being very argumentative, I know :rolleyes:

<Snip>

/me consults howstuffworks.com

Yeah ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Can we please keep it on topic....

If you want to start a "definition of broadband" thread go right ahead.

This thread is discussing Eircoms 40Euro a month offer.

Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Right, sorrys bout the delay in posting.
    Firstly they werent given a contract and didnt ask anything about speed or anything. It was one of those things where the engineer comes out with a laptop and plugged it in or whatever.
    They were told they wouldnt be signing anything for another two weeks or so and that it was 34euro a month ex vat. I thought it was strange them being told about this even though nothing has been confirmed yet. I'll see if they dont sign anything in two weeks I guess.
    As for a 256k 40euro offer, if I remember correctly eircom never actually said they were dropping the price but they were putting in for a
    lower cost broadband product
    Few people noticed the difference.
    In regards the speed though. The actual press release has
    At EUR 39.99 Ireland to be 5th cheapest out of 14 European countries for 512K broadband product
    so I'm guessing something is wrong somewhere and prob why comreg told them no.
    Anyone know if the wholesale rate was let through?

Advertisement