Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding Hard Drives???

• 10-02-2004 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody help a slightly confused person please?

I'm interested in the current HD special on Komplett http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=&sku=116430&cks=WOF&CatID=&GrpID=. an anybody tell me if it will be compatible with my 'puter?

The interface on the HD is DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)

My desktop has a Saturn motherboard (full spec here http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=spec_Saturn&PibItemParent=006747520189#show), which complies with the following:

Specification Description
    ATX ATX form factor specifications
    AGP 1.0 Accelerated Graphics Port
    APM Advanced Power Management BIOS interface specification
    ACPI Advanced Configuration and Power management Interface
    EPP Enhanced Parallel Port IEEE 1284 standard, Mode [1 or 2]
    ECP Extended Capabilities Port
    ATA-33 Synchronous DMA Transfer Protocol specification (to be proposed as Ultra DMA/33 standard)
    PCI 2.2 PCI Local Bus specification
    Plug and Play Plug and Play BIOS specification
    USB Universal Serial Bus specification
    ATA-66 Synchronous DMA Transfer Protocol specification

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

just having a quick look i would say if you put the hd in you will only be able to use 128gigs, of this i am not totaly sure but with agp1 i am almost certain 48bit addressing isnt a feature of your bios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get a 120Gig model, or else buy an ATA133 IDE controller card, or better yet, SATA along with a 160Gig drive with IDE or SATA connector for the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

OK, just had a check again myself. The motherboard spec says that the AGP controller is AGP 2.0 compliant. That make a difference?

I thought the trouble would have been with the HD being ATA 100, and my board being ATA 33/66. Am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by therecklessone
    OK, just had a check again myself. The motherboard spec says that the AGP controller is AGP 2.0 compliant. That make a difference?

No. That's to do with graphics interface on the northbridge, nothing to do with the controller on the southbridge.

I thought the trouble would have been with the HD being ATA 100, and my board being ATA 33/66. Am I right?
    Both controllers and drives support multiple connection speeds so they'll drop down to the lowest common denominator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Get a 120Gig model, or else buy an ATA133 IDE controller card, or better yet, SATA along with a 160Gig drive with IDE or SATA connector for the card.

hmm didnt realise u could get an sata controller card. i was thinking of upgrading my hdds to sata (both for the performance and for the neatness of the cabling) and was thinking id have to upgrade my motherboard to get the sata in. a controller card would be a much better solution.

would u reckon twould be worth the upgrade from seagate 120 gb 8mb ata 100 drive?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help so far folks.

Am I right in thinking the solution would be to buy something like http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=111199&p=&t=2051&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=15&GrpID=8&cks=PRL along with the 160 GB HDD on special this week (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&AvdID=&sku=116430&cks=WOF&CatID=&GrpID=)

Or as Syxpax suggested, the SATA equivalent...

Originally posted by SyxPak

No. That's to do with graphics interface on the northbridge, nothing to do with the controller on the southbridge.

[/B]

OK, quick side question: does that have any bearing on what sort of graphics card I can upgrade to if I wanted? My Geforce 2 MX is starting to creak a little...

Extra thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

The latest cards are AGP x8, but they're backwardly compatible.

Advertisement