Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speech for a debate

Options
  • 10-02-2004 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

hey,

firstly i don't know if this is in the right place if not please move it so i don't upset the running of the boards :D

my english teacher has split the class into four groups of 4 and we have to do a debate.

now my group got the motion
    Religion has been the cause of more bad than good

and my group is against the motion.

our group leader came up with points and i got stuck with the worse one. i can't think of anything to write on it.

i got this point
    religion brings people together not against.

what am i suppose to write i need about 2/3 copy book pages and i'm struggling writing 4 lines.

can any1 give me a couple of hints that i could then eloborate on to get me on my way?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Um...

All I can think of is if youi mention events such as September 11th and how people of all religions worked together in the rescue/clear up afterwards. How in times of need people of all religions tend to work together and put aside differences.

Eh...

Will have a think and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thanks anyway that's given me a start. :P

better having something than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You don't have a lot to work with. I would say:

Religions in general teach goodness, honesty and righteousness. If people followed the rules and the guidelines set out by most modern religions, hatred and bigotry would surely be a thing of the past.

People will fight and argue over ethics, fundamentals, colour of skin, country of origin; people will fight over anything! Religion is just another excuse. If all religions were some how abolished, people would still find some other differences amongst each other, so that hatred and violence would still be prevalent.

I could go on but I’ve to do some work now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The less you have to work with the more you have to use rhetorical techniques to actually prevent people from thinking. Go heavy on the emotional language - think of the final scene of It's a Wonderful Life that's the vibe you're going for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Maybe try the christian forum?

:dunno:

Religion gives people hope and at the very least gives people an ideal to follow to be better people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement