Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB Slow Speeds

• 11-02-2004 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I have NTL BB 600 since Nov. 03, recently after about 10 - 15 mins. online the speed drops & I have to disable & then re-enable. Someone I know suggested decreasing the amount of space used for Temp. Internet Files, I tried doing this but to no effect. I also emailed NTL Tech. Support & after a third email to them they replied but gave no answer to my problem just waffled on about what BB is etc..

So can anybody help me & offer some advice on what to do? Would any programs I have affect BB?

Thanking you in advance.

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

maybe you are competing with your neighbors for bandwidth. Thats just the way the technology is, you share the bandwidth with your neighbor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i doubt that's it

...are you connecting through usb or ethernet? because usb connections can be problematic. also have a look at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html, there might be something there to help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Good point on USB - Ethernet is better.....

Also be aware of the load balancing work in the UK that may have an impact on traffic....may not apply here directly but may have a knock on effect??

+++++++

As part of the ongoing project to maintain and upgrade our Broadband network, there is a requirement to carry out work on components which may result in a loss of service for the duration of the work. The following work will be taking place during the week commencing Monday February 9th:

From 11pm on the evening of Monday February 9th until approximately 7am on the morning of Tuesday 10th, ntl:home internet customers on all packages will be unable to access their incoming email accounts, whilst migration work is carried out to improve our email service.

On the morning of Tuesday 10th February between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

ntl internet customers on all packages may be unable to make changes to their account or register a new account due to maintenance work on our registration servers. Customers may also be unable to access other ntl websites for short periods during this work.

Broadband customers in all region may experience a loss of service for a few minutes due to network load rebalancing. Customers in the Glengormley, Sketty, Cowcaddens, Mansfield, Barnet and Greenford regions will experience a longer outage, due to network resegmentation work.

Customers in the Reading area may also experience a loss of service due to a hardware configuration upgrade.

On the morning of Wednesday 11th February between midnight and 6am, broadband internet customers in the Cwmbran and Cheshunt areas may experience a short loss of service due to network load rebalancing.

On the morning of Thursday 12th February between midnight and 6am, customers in the Leeds, Cosham, Portsmouth, Watford and Norwich regions may experience a loss of service due to a hardware configuration upgrade.

And finally on the morning of Friday 13th February between midnight and 6am, customers in all regions may experience a loss of service for a few minutes due to network load rebalancing.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There seems to be a pattern though that the problem kicks in after about 15 mins that would surely suggest that ongoing maintenance work is the issue?

Advertisement