Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help.

• 11-02-2004 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I was using my computer a while ago and was in the process of moving all the files from my 'F' drive to my 'C' drive. At the time i also was testing a bestcrypt disk that was stored on the 'F' drive and mounted as a virtual drive on 'G'. After some files were moved into 'G' from both 'C' and 'F' I was not able to unmount the virtual drive, even by trying to loggoff/restart which should force bestcrypt to unmount everything. After about 10 minutes of watching bestcrypt telling me that the drive would be unmounted in between 5 ~ 50 seconds I just cut power to the pc.

When I turned it back on it started making a weird beeping sound, you can listen to it here: http://members.boards.ie/johnk/Recording1.wav, and when windows loaded, the 'F' drive was no longer there. The ide controler was still recognised by the device manager but when I tried going to add new hardware in the control panel it didnt find the drive connected to it.

I rebooted again but this time I got an error screen telling me that something was wrong with my cpu clock ratio and to change it. I told it to just continue and that screen has not come back.

The beeping sound above only happens when I have the drive connected to the ide controler

F drive is a 200gb maxtor connected through an IDE controller card.
    C drive is a 120gb maxtor with standard ide connection straight to the mobo

mobo is an epox 8k5a3+
    ram is 1gb corsair xms
    os is WinXP
    cpu is Athlon 2000

Also, this has all happened on a clean install of xp. I had only installed xp about 3 hours before all this happened. Bestcrypt was the only program installed. No other files downloaded from the internet so there should not be any viruses.

Does anybody have any idea what the hell has happened?
    I'd appreciate any help,

JohnK.

Advertisement