Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abbey to St. Stephen's Green: A name for the Gap

• 11-02-2004 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

How about giving the kilometre gap between Abbey Luas stop and St. Stephen's Green Luas stop a name?

My suggestion is O'Rourke's Drift. Any others gratefully accepted!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

"A fscking joke"

Sorry - wit is eschewed by anger whenever I think about transport in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

BTW, does anybody think it will be built? Maybe after both lines are open people might realise its a good idea to complete the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As the say in London "Mind the Gap". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The Green Party were campaigning to join them up, naming it "join the dots"

I dont know how far they got as regards publicity.

Akins Consultants advised that it would be more beneficial to the city centre to not go underground but to take the original overground route.

I would much perfer to see it overground, its far more pleasing to the eye as a passenger and to tourists, however capacity issues arise then regarding the Airport to Sandyford line and its high population along the route.

Mark Bishop

on behalf of Winters.

I think with lessons learned from the current projects the "joining up" could be done relatively quickly and cheaply. I doubt that they would do anything till both lines are running and they could argue that the joining up is required. Really the tram is much use for anybody getting on after Beechwood as all you do is go to the Green.

The underground link is a waste of time and money and was only suggested as a cop out to narrow minded shop keepers. I would prefer have shoppers going by my shop then under it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Where will the trams not on the Tallaght line go for maintenance / repair / nighttime etc. I was under the impression that the Red Cow depot was ‘Luas Central’, but presumably there is no way the Sandyford trams can get there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is another depot in Sandyford. I don't know if there are two controls rooms or not.

BrianD, taking Luas down Dawson Street / College Green would be complicated. Luas will allow people from Ranelagh to get to Sandyford also.

The control room for both lines will be in the Red Cow depot. Originally the tram maintenace facility for both lines was supposed to be here as well. There was to be only one facility and they have to build two!

Victor, agreed that you can go either direction from Ranelagh! The original plan was to have both lines linked so I assume there are no real issues with the route. The plan was suspended due to badly informed public pressure mainly from the business community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Is there a Northside line to be constructed? When does this start? When is it scheduled to be complete? Will it intersect with Tallaghts line? Could the gap be bridged during this phase of construction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by West Briton
    How about giving the kilometre gap between Abbey Luas stop and St. Stephen's Green Luas stop a name?

Well, we have the Sally Gap, why not call it the Bertie Gap?

• Advertisement

Could the gap be bridged during this phase of construction?

The luas on stilts on O'Connells st as well!!! Cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Surprised it hasn't been suggested:

The Green Mile

Advertisement