Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds......leeds.......leeds

• 11-02-2004 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

After last nite's preformance beating Wolves 4-1, does anyone think they have a chance and will survive this season?? Will they stay in the premiership??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this is like us fool liverpool fans after a good result. 3 points from ur last 21. Not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Sorry but your going down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Yeah I think they are going down. Too many problems off the field. Too many good players have left. And as soon as the season ends all the rest of the good players will be gone. Smith, Viduka, etc. will all leave for less than they are actually worth. I think the foreseeable future is going to be hard for Leeds and their fans.
    I think Wolves will also go down, but the 3rd place is still open for a few teams. Leicester, Portsmouth and Man City could all make the drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

i think they will stay up. said it before that result too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

down down down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Unless a decent manager takes leave of his senses and takes over PDQ, its adios im afraid :(

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

t'Leeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm afraid there going down and there aint anything they can do.

The worst thing is if they go down with 80 million debts will they ever come back up??

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Originally posted by irish1
    I'm afraid there going down and there aint anything they can do.

The worst thing is if they go down with 80 million debts will they ever come back up??

Yea the whole 80 million pounds of debt is a bit of a problem!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have always said that they wont go down because their team is way too good to go down and im sticking by it. Last night shows how can really perform and its just the off field problems preventing that. They will all feel alot more confident after that result and remember they still have to play both leicester and portsmouth at home so if they can beat them they have a real chance. I think that its will be very very close but I reckon they will just about survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Kingp35
    I have always said that they wont go down because their team is way too good to go down and im sticking by it.

Nearly every season there is team that id "too good to go down" relegated, last year it was West Ham this year it will be Leeds and a win against a team that is going to join them in the first Div Next season alters their chances of survival very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think the West Ham team that got relegated last year is a lot better than the current Leeds team.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I think the West Ham team that got relegated last year is a lot better than the current Leeds team.

OK watever!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

actually a win against anyone was what they needed because it boosts confidence and confidence is needed to win games. Morale was very low but it has been givin a boost now. Yeah west ham were a good team but the current leeds bar the defence are pretty good. With players like smith,viduka,milner,robinson,bakke i think they will just survive. they needed that win to give them a boost.bring on man u!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Personally I hope that the fate of leeds comes down to the last match of the season and Chelsea beat them 4-0 at Stamford Bridge, would be some small consolation for watching Arsenal win the league again.

I think the way they are in debt the club "leeds utd fc" would cease to exist or have all their assets sold etc. and they could drop right out of the league or at least down a division or two depending on the ir finances. not sure how much of the clubs season tickets and gate receipts etc would be worth but no doubt the leeds faithful would make certain that they were in a postion to rebuild, the premiership could be a long wait for them after this season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Last night shows how can really perform and its just the off field problems preventing that

For Christ's Sake man!! Get a grip on yourself! They only beat Wolves! Hardly a team of champions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    For Christ's Sake man!! Get a grip on yourself! They only beat Wolves! Hardly a team of champions!!

As a Wolves I'm gutted but yep we're no Champions!

All to play for methinks...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

I can see Leeds doing a Sheffield Wednesday , loose all players and end up battling to save relegation from Division 2 in a couple of seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Bubba
    OK watever!!
    You actually think that the current Leeds squad is better than the West Ham squad that was relegated? Joe Cole, Freddie Kanoute, Trevor Sinclair, Jermain Defoe, Michael Carrick, Cristian Daily, David James, Glenn Johnston, Les Ferdinand, Paulo Di Canio, Lee Bowyer. Can't think of any more ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Personally I think its too late for Leeds and if they do go down then its curtains for them. No one will buy them out if they are in Division 1.

Then again Ellend Road will make a nice Shopping Centre (sorry couldn't resist!).

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Leeds have been committing crimes against football this year, and they should be punished for it.
    if i wanted to watch sunday league football, id go and do it.

but i do think they will go down because as someone said, they beat wolves, and they are not a team of champions. now all leeds have to do is beat everyone else they play.

as for west ham being better than leeds this year, i agree. the west ham team that went down because of bad management and manaegment changes, not because of the quality of the players.
    leeds are going down for the same reason.
    id say i hope we pick up some good players from them, but lets face it, they aint got any left. vidukas too fat and slow, and smith is a timebomb waiting for an early shower.

besides, the premier league is for premier football teams.
    now if we can just lose leicester as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

Its really too bad they have to go, but they will unless they get a run of three or four wins going. They can only hope to beat teams at the foot of the table, if they can't do that they are f**ked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Leeds.... Wolves.... and I pray to almightly God and all the Angels that the other team is NOT Man City....

jesus... I'd be singing too if City got a 4-1 win....

but sorry

Leeds are doomed.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    You actually think that the current Leeds squad is better than the West Ham squad that was relegated? Joe Cole, Freddie Kanoute, Trevor Sinclair, Jermain Defoe, Michael Carrick, Cristian Daily, David James, Glenn Johnston, Les Ferdinand, Paulo Di Canio, Lee Bowyer.

OK OK............ I SEE YOUR POINT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i honestly think that they will stay up for some weird reason or another!!!

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    i honestly think that they will stay up for some weird reason or another!!!

insanity?

ignorance?

Portsmouth...........................25 6 5 14 28 39 -11 23
    Leicester City........................25 4 9 12 33 47 -14 21
    Leeds United........................25 5 5 15 23 50 -27 20
    Wolverhampton Wanderers.25 4 8 13 22 51 -29 20

this is how the table looks at the moment and these are leeds next 5 games
    21/02 Manchester United - Leeds United
    29/02 Leeds United - Liverpool
    13/03 Fulham - Leeds United
    22/03 Leeds United - Manchester City
    27/03 Birmingham City - Leeds United

10 - 15 points there for the grabs.

wolves
    21/02 Wolverhampton Wanderers - Fulham
    28/02 Leicester City - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    14/03 Wolverhampton Wanderers - Aston Villa
    20/03 Liverpool - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    27/03 Chelsea - Wolverhampton Wanderers

7 - 9 points there

Leicester
    22/02 Tottenham Hotspur - Leicester City
    28/02 Leicester City - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    13/03 Birmingham City - Leicester City
    20/03 Leicester City - Everton
    27/03 Leicester City - Liverpool

maybe 8 points there

Portsmouth
    21/02 Liverpool - Portsmouth
    29/02 Portsmouth - Newcastle United
    13/03 Everton - Portsmouth
    21/03 Portsmouth - Southampton
    27/03 Blackburn Rovers - Portsmouth

maybe 6 - 7 points

therefore leeds could leapfrog the rest or them out of relegation

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

er, how do you see Leeds getting 10-15 points from Utd, Pool, Fulham, City and Brum, while teams who have been better all season long will get less points against easier opposition?

Not only would that points tally make them one of the (if not THE) most in-form teams in the premiership, it'd be against some very good teams. And it'd be a transformation from the worst form in the premiership.

I think WWM's post was well founded.

the way united are playing at the moment anyone could beat them including leeds, and if they be united they would be more confident and might strike a draw with liverpool and the others are very much beatable!!! i know its a bit far fetched but it is possible. anyway that post took me ages to compose:)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

C'mon now, they're a little shakey at the back but they're hardly Wolves-away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

from Utd, Pool, Fulham, City and Brum, Leeds might expect 4 or 5 points in their current state.

They could also get none of course. Their players have shown that they don't really have the heart for a relegation battle , they could just get worse! Wolves , Leicester and Portsmouth don't have the same pressures.

ok i have to admit leeds have got hard games ahead but it isnt down to the next 5 games is it!if they can pick up 5 or more points then they will have a good basis for the last games coz remember they still gotta play leicester and portsmouth at home and i personally think it will come down to those games.if they beat the two of them they will stay up. if they dont they will be in trouble. Again about the next 5 games i really cant see leicester or portsmouth picking up much points either.

And lets not forget Man City.they are definitely not out of it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

City are certainly not out of it, but I think relegation is highly unlikely...

*casts nervous glance over shoulder*

city have good players but as a team they can definitely be relegated.its kev keegans doing. If leeds can keep the money hunters at bay until the end of the season they have a real chance of staying up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

in leeds next 5 games they would be lucky to pick up 1 point , and that would only come against liverpool :eek: :o:):p ww)

• Advertisement

If leeds can keep the money hunters at bay until the end of the season they have a real chance of staying up!

actually, i think if you find that Leeds win a few games, they have a chance of staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

As a leeds fan i say, with my hand on my heart, that 10 - 15 points from the next 5 games is optimistic to say the least. The only thing keeping my hopes alive is there are only 4 points between the bottom 5 teams and 7 points between the bottom 7. Were there any more than that then i'd have to say that yeah it'd be more than likely we'd be relegated. The wolves win will have been a big boost to morale, albeit against wolves (no offence meant), and the few extra days off that we've had because of the FA cup will have helped the teams training and confidence. It'll be scrappy and messy but i think Leeds will come through.

i told ye leeds would take points off united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its pretty tight at the bottom, the way results are going we could see a team with points in Mid thirties staying up this year.

after beating wolves and drawing away to man utd confidence in the team is high now so we have a real good chance of upsetting liverpool on sunday.for once im feeling a bit better about their chances of staying up and with leicester and portsmouth still to come to elland road i reckon they will stay up.

although the man utd have been rubbish recently so maybe the result in old trafford wasnt all that great.

• Advertisement

another pretty good result for leeds and another important point.Either team could have won the game and it was another good performance from leeds showing that we can compete with any team in the league.we have important games coming up against the other relegation candidates now so they will decide if we can stay up or not but I think we will and i dont think it will go to the last day either.we will be safe by then if keep playing like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

agreed.

would have been great if Smith had got that header at the end. really needed 3 points.

Advertisement