Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unix Society

• 11-02-2004 10:27am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

CarlowIT Still aint a university:P
    Tallaghts Compsoc is probably another good example,

Well done u managed to succeed to do what others had talked about doing for years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Theres no reason why our compsoc shouldnt match the universities...
    Btw, I forgot to mension Tallaght's Compsoc, and DCUs Netsoc [Redbrick] in above posting - also very good, inspirational societies.

I would consider easiest part of the work done - getting approval.
    Getting this up & running, and maintaining will be when we see ...

Any suggestions here welcome & appriciated [Got initial thread locked/stickied as I will post any updates there, and no point it getting filled with possibly irrivelent information, and at least this way - if people are interested, they can read about updates in one place, one thread, and dont have to look through 20-30 posts before get an update.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

IT Carlow has a new head of department

Does that mean Joe Kehoe is finished????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Good luck with setting up the soc. Though i'd suggest not tying yourself into a particular OS

Also, when you get yourself up & running, come along and check out intersocs.org - the embrionic network of Irish net/comp socs

Also give the Redbrick committee a shout & they'll help you out & maybe give you a guest account to see what it's like in DCU. :)

good luck!

Originally posted by p
    Good luck with setting up the soc. Though i'd suggest not tying yourself into a particular OS

Also, when you get yourself up & running, come along and check out intersocs.org - the embrionic network of Irish net/comp socs

Also give the Redbrick committee a shout & they'll help you out & maybe give you a guest account to see what it's like in DCU. :)

good luck!

Have no OS in mind - my main incentive is due to lack of anything practical on computer networking degree I'm currently doing.
    I hope to get 2/3 servers, 1 being a test [install different OS's every few weeks - tutorials etc].

already checked out intersocs.org thanks - got given link by one the admins of UCD netsoc - and my aim would be to get up to spec asap so that we could join the other NetSocs of Ireland :)

Well, first thing's first - see how initial stages go with the setting up ...
    My main concern at this point would be computer services - they hold the network by the erm ... rj-45 ... Novell network, runs like a snail on valium, and I have horrible feeling they'll want to set all comps/servers up for us - meaning we request what we want, and each time want a change, knowing our luck won't even be given root access heh.
    But definitely intend to talk to the other related socs of other colleges as soon as there is some more developements in relation to this.

Thanks for all current advise/tips so far, much appriciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by PinkMarshmallow
    minty mints

That is exactly the same response, other muppets make when they are banned.
    Congratulations, you are now a statistic.

Keep this up and you'll be perma-banned, remember your ip is logged every time you post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by Sinnocence
    1 being a test [install different OS's every few weeks - tutorials etc].

Ever thought of using VMWare? Its pretty good. Ability to have several different OS's running under Windows. Sure, its a cr*p proggie, but it'll allow you to have a few different *nix's on it, and have the option to change, without having to reformat the HDD, etc (even tho this is fun and all;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

Nah, you might as well install them properly, if you have a spare machine.

I've no intension of using VMWare....

*ahem*
    As I was adding more mods for the forum ... I may have kind of borked it ... I'm blaming Stephen for this 100% [bitching bout having to look at avatars/signitures].
    Anyway, Fixing this problem currently, they should be back up and running by tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

pft, I didn't actually break it!

Still, not having to look at people's huge crappy sig images and ridiculously huge and equally crappy avatars makes it worth it.

• Advertisement

Prob with modding is - the more you have, more likely they will conflict - so i'll only add necessary mods [your one will be included don't worry]
    I'll repost when everything is up and running again...not gotten email from admin with info yet, so im delayed in that respect.

Have been told my Admins - I'll be informed tomorrow of everything what happening...

Way I was told seemed to me like - their going to have to say no to more stuffs ... we'll see anyway

Talk to admins today for approx 5-10 mins.
    Proper meeting next week [wednesday 3rd march i believe]

Info I got today :
    Given server [they seem to be consdierate with specs, he said 256, i said 512, he said he'd yoink from somewhere]

can be put in a lab, or with other servers [the goldfish bowels w/ servers], and I can get key to maintain server if need be, however I don't see it being needed to be maintained much [hopefully] - well that requires on-site access at least.

They will give us a sub-domain.

We are allowed internal-email.

I mensioned intersocs[.org], and told him of shared forums/irc - and was told this would not be a problem.

The admins will be taking a root account on our system, and monitoring for anything, which isn't regarded as being coshar [and I'd expect I'll be doing the same to a higher degree, and expect fire and brimstone to reign if anything is found; and so forth].

We are installing it ourselves, OS of our choice, admins will want to see end result, to make sure no gaping holes.

Anyway, More info next wednesday.

Advise appriciated on what you think about the whereabouts of our server, and anything else discussed/mensioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Being a former student and also being Quite friendly with Ray and Ger in the IT I can lend a hand, I've been a linux admin for many many years, so if I can give it a once over or what ever before the admins take a look.

Heres an idea for external email:

Deploy spamassasin and Mailscanner with f-prot for AV. the free unix version of f-prot is grand, as with MailScanner in place, it scans files not emails, so theres no licencing issue.

This may show that them there is some cop, and may perhaps allow external email.

Paul

Thanks for offer Paul [Haven't read boards in a while, hence late reply].

Well looks like we're getting one of the old computers from room 307, 256MB RAM, and I'm sure the compsoc people are more familiar with the full specifications.

Should have it by the end of the week it seems - Admin [Ray] is doing the install, and I can then get it set up from home [Donations for coffee accepted].

All going well, I'll be able to start setting up next week.

Good News,
    We have server.
    Specs :

PC : Dell GX200
    Processor : P3 800
    RAM : 256MB
    Hard Drive : 10gig

Currently in process of being configured etc.

If anyone has skills in building web-pages please give me a shout - it's not my forte.
    When I say skills, I mean ability to build something decent/professional, something looking nice ... only thing in it for you is a few pints courtsey of myself :)

Thanks,

Regards,

SeanOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

have some experience in web-sites, but no time at the mo, exams start next week. but what you have in mind?

I don't think it's needed anymore ... I'm currently running/configuring PHP Nuke, which seems to be exactly what I want [if I can get it configured in a manner I want].

Site will be up asap ... as soon as I get site working, I'll start accepting members ...
    I am running IRC server from machine, which connects to the Intersocs network [all other Netsocs around Ireland].

People will have access to shell accounts, I'll start posting on web page tutorials/help ... and information about meetings etc ...

My next post here will be referring to when site is up & running ... after that, all further communication/information should be done through the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Shamo

Will the shell accounts be accessible from outside the college?

of course.

You may also scp/sftp onto the server
    [transfer files onto the server]

Server is already up and running, I'm doing all the configuring from home ...
    We're not on Intersocs by the way - linked to their network via IRC [setting up news at later date]

• Advertisement

Well, Shell accounts are now available.
    Pm, Email [seanos@o2.ie], or talk to me on IRC.

Conditions : You must be a member of IT Carlow
    This account will not be used for anything deemed, by me, morally, legally, or otherwise "wrong"

Currently Available:
    Inbound => SSH + SCP/SFTP + HTTP [... from any location]
    [What this means : You have shell access, can upload files, and have your own web site]

Outbound => Http, IRC [to our own server...which is connected to Intersocs network]

Installed : Currently running "hey"
    this program allows you to talk to any people currently on the server by doing the following
    hey <username> <return>
    <text to be sent>
    CTRL+D

Also running PHP + Mysql [up-to-date versions]
    apache for each users webspace

The main IT Carlow NetSoc web site has been delayed - hence why I'm posting here about offering accounts.

<EDIT>

The webpage is now up - well a temp one at least ... I'm going to throw up phpBB, and will get web site looking a bit better in future ... for now it will do.
    http://netsoc.itcarlow.ie
    Information & help is available on the site.

I have made some more improvements & updates
    Web page is finished for now [I'm going to stick with current style for a while...]

Forums are also up for NetSoc : http://netsoc.itcarlow.ie/phpBB2
    All signups are open, however you must tell me your username, so that I can add you to the relevant boards.
    To gain full access, you must be a member of netsoc ... so if you have a shell account already, consider yourself a member, otherwise, you must request memberships, which is given once your a member of IT Carlow, and I set you up with a shell account.

I would appriciate all members of IT Carlow who are on this board to join ... howto's are available, and more shall be written.
    The more members we get, the more power we have ... and I plan to get us sponcership from Sun url]www.sun.com[/url during the summer, who will hopefully give us a server.

We have our own internal IRC [chat] server, which you will be given access to once you are a member of NetSoc.

I have some future plans for the college, which would be to increase the amount of people using chat - get our own server available for everyone ... and try and create a carlow community. If we get organised, have have some sort of community here, we have a unified voice for anything we need/want ...
    It would be a great way for other societies too to organise events.

Also...
    If any person here is from another society in carlow, and wish to get their own forums [which will be invisable to all except their own members - and they moderate it etc], just contact me, and I'll be more than happy to set up a forum within our board for your society.
    I shall give you any help & assistance as needed, and you may organise events, and anthing else for your society ... all you need is to ask :)

My contact details available @ http://netsoc.itcarlow.ie

Advertisement