Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here installed a new line to get broadband?

• 11-02-2004 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This could be a silly question I know, but since wireless is not an option where, I'm willing to take a punt on it...

I seem to be ineligible for broadband in my apartment, despite living near Dublin City Centre and despite the fact that people in the apartment opposite me have broadband. Is it worth the risk installing a second line and hoping that it will be eligible for BB? Anyone else done it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Put it this way as regards getting a new line installed, they dont actually do that, they just use the spare pair thats already there

So it just depends on the quality of the unused pair, it really is a 50:50 chance on whether this will work or not, but if you search the forum here and in BB there has been some moderate success with getting the second line installed.

Look at it this way, at least you have a 50 percent chance of passing as opposed to absolutely nothing with your present line

Shin

And if it does pass you can always cancel your current line and just keep the new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    Is it worth the risk installing a second line and hoping that it will be eligible for BB?
    Put some of the numbers from other apartments in your building into the database. If they fail too, it's unlikely that ordering a second line will help, because they'll just use a spare line that's already in the building - if all the other lines are failing too, then so will the spares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

When I was trying to get Adsl I got a second line installed to my house. It failed. Not supprised as the only new bit of the line was from my house to the junction box on the street outside my house.

anyway, when Radsl was launched my original line passed, my new line failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally had ISDN which failed RADSL (pased ADSL tho), installed a new line which passed both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

If the line did pass before you could always try find someone inside eircom and ask nicely. It did wonders for me. My line was back passing the same day my aunt asking nicely for me! Waiting on BB into the house tho. Fri week I'm told so we see.
    As for second line, I was talking to someone who had an engineer out to do a second line and saw him with the box for the pairgain. He stopped the engineer and told him he wanted a full new line into the house and was very em stern or whatever with him. Long story short, engineer goes away for a day and next day arrived back with a jackhammer and pulled a full line into the house and he got BB. Very unlikely in appartments for that to happen I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I think your man was telling fibs. Eircom would not install a single new cable from a house to an exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have a look at Lanshack.com if your curious on wireing pairs and the like. On the bottom left of the page you will find the tutorials.

They normally dont have to. They normally put extra cable in the ground running on streets to allow for this kind of thing and repairs if lines goes bad etc. They normally have to go from the bit on the street into the house. Thats why it can work if the neighbours have passing lines etc. If they just pairgained everytime they needed a new line then it wouldnt work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I guess the bottom line, because I'm living in an apartment, and because Eircom are shíte, is that I'm screwed.

There is no 100%sure way to get BB. Eircom seem to give it to people when they feel like it and so on. Gets very annoying. If you know someone in a close appartment who's line passes maybe talk to them about sharing the connection and setup a wireless network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

I am living 50M from the exchange and my line kept failing. I had engineers out trying to fix the short on the line etc... but it would not pass the pre-qual test. Finally ordered a new line asking the sales rep to note on the order form that the line was needed for DSL. Engineer came out, told him I wanted the line for DSL, wired up the other pair into the house and it passed straight away.

Guess I was lucky that the second pair was in good condition.

Advertisement