Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a graphics card

• 11-02-2004 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Started this in my other thread about HDDs, thought it'd be better on its own.

I have a Packard Bell ixtreme 9200i, with a Saturn motherboard, spec

The AGP slot is 2.0 compatible (I understand this to also indicate AGP 4X?

Are newer 8X cards backwards compatible?

And can anybody suggest a reasonable card in the region of €150-200 to replace my creaking Geforce2 MX?

Thank you please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

at that price you should definately be looking at a Radeon 9600.

Go for the pro or the newer xt.

Here they are: [click links twice]

9600 Pro

and

9600 XT

the xt comes with a coupon for HL2 whenever it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Agp 8x is backwards compatible with agp 4x and agp 2x.

I'd recommend a Radeon 9600 variant. Check www.komplett.ie. Go for a 128MB version (this is what most users here recommend).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

or if you can afford a bit more go for a 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Lite-RTL
    http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=138_109&products_id=14064 @ 220euro
    ordering one myslef very soon ;)

adam {EDITED} 220 is correct , not 120 ta :>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by T-b0n3
    or if you can afford a bit more go for a 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Lite-RTL
    http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=138_109&products_id=14064 @ 120euro
    ordering one myslef very soon ;)

adam

meant to be 220 isn't it?

very good price for a 9800pro

top of the range they are

what does the "lite" mean?

• Advertisement

Ive been told ,(and i hope they are right) that the card is the same as the full retail , but without the extras , eg a game ( as far as i know they giving tomb radier with it )
    the sapphire Ultimate , has a slightly quietier and fastest fan I think.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've the sapphire ultimate and the only difference is that it has a zalman heat pipe on it eg no fan at all.

the lite version is a regular 9800pro with no software bundled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

im a little skeptical that the lite only means no games included ??

or is that just me

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    i've the sapphire ultimate and the only difference is that it has a zalman heat pipe on it eg no fan at all.

the lite version is a regular 9800pro with no software bundled

wow i didn't know there was a 9800 pro passively cooled. steep though, €400 on komplett. think i'd prefer the pro with the fan for €220.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Lite means basic packaging and no games, the card is the same exactly. 100% sure.

• Advertisement

good good ;)
    cheers for that

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

This lad who bought it gives a review on the site . I ran it though babelfish and this is what he seems to say

"Thus I would have known that ausstatung really so lean am I the Powercolor would have taken! In addition kan one only heavily RAM radiator on the map attaches there between the memory components small divides lies those as the RAM is higher! Thus all imm everything is the map fast only the equipment is genuinly bad"

He gave it 3 stars out of 5. Anyone understand what hes on about?

not at all mate :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by L5
    This lad who bought it gives a review on the site . I ran it though babelfish

LOL balbelfish won't sort the world's communication problem then, will it? If only everyone spoke English (or Esperanto :eek: )

"Also hätte ich gewusst das die ausstatung wirklich so mager ist hätte ich die Powercolor genommen! Außerdem kan man nur schwer Ram Kühler auf der Karte anbringen da zwischen den Speicher Bausteinen kleine teile liegen die hoher als der Ram sind ! Also alles imm alle ist die Karte schnell nur die ausstattung ist echt schlecht"

Ain't no native speaker but here's a better effort hopefully:

"Had I known the package was so minimal, I would have gone for the Powercolor. It's also hard to attach ram coolers to the graphics card cause between the ram chips there are small bits that stick out higher than the ram! To take everything into account: the card is very fast, but the package is minimal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've got the powercolour card it comes with tomb raider angel of darkness if that floats anyones boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Id go with an fx5900, cheap as chips atm. Iv used one recently and was pretty impressed.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=120648&p=&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=&GrpID=&cks=SER

hmm if your willing to spend that type of money i wouldn't got the the fx you could 9800pro for that price which would beat a normal fx5900 let alone that one with the 2.8ns ram which is basically the XT version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I hadnt realised the 9800pro had come down so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i used the fx5900 before it went tits up and i had to return it to elara, i now use a radeon 9800 pro and i can say without a shadow of a doubt the radeon is a far better card.

unkel , that mean the its worth paying the extra little bit to get the full retail instead of the "lite" ? or? because I was planning on just getting the "lite" as I believed it just didnt come with any games , and that was it.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It looks like there are no extra's or games with the card, so if you really wanted the games that come with a full retail package then don't get this

Speedwise the card is the same as any other 9800pro

If I were in the market for a graphics card now, I'd definitely get this "light" version as I feel it is very good value for money indeed :)

k cheers unkel , always a great help ;)

adam

Originally posted by Xithus
    I hadnt realised the 9800pro had come down so much.

aye great drop offs in price on the radeons i paid 320 a couple of months ago :eek: and that was the cheap powercolour at the time all the radeon 9800 nonpros where priced at 320 roughly from other manufacturers and the pros at about 400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah its shocking to see how much them cards have droped in price!!

Advertisement