Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GL9 - more gaming, less leeching

Options
  • 11-02-2004 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

i know alot of people like leeching stuff when at lans but isnt the main reason for gaming?
    i mean at GL8 the CS tourny was a disaster and the QW tourny was far too short.
    perhaps this time people can be encouraged in getting into more games at a planned time and then do their own thing in between.

kind of like a schedule where games are arranged to take place at certain and people then know what games are being played and when.

much like dundalk lan but without the strictness i.e. " dont go off playing your own games"

any1 else think is a good idea?
    if not, why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'm not organising anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'll organise some tournies for us.
    CS, QW, BF1942/DC and maybe even a Halo (yawn) tourny if people are interested.
    NFS:Underground multiplyer might be a larf, circuit races with a drag race to decide the winner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The problem with the cs tourny was that it turned out to be just a fragfest, instead of a clan match.

I'll use my second comp as a server this time so it will have proper pings / settings.

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    The problem with the cs tourny was that it turned out to be just a fragfest, instead of a clan match.
    I fail to see the problem?
    It's a team game, people should play as a team in whatever match they participate in if they wish to win.
    Shouldn't matter if they're with or playing against clanmates from online.
    Some of the best matches were when we'd come up with team names and run around the place just having a laugh.

Btw, does anyone know anybody working in Smyth's/Gamesworld/etc. who might be able to tell me who i could approach about getting sponsored prizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i have a cousin working in there. il have a talk to her on saturday and see what she can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Originally posted by Caliden
    i mean at GL8 the CS tourny was a disaster and the QW tourny was far too short.

CS on the sunday rocked. That alley of death just ruled :)

about 6v6 enter a confined space, 8s later 8 corpses are on the ground. GL9 would be better if we could organise not only tourneys but set times when games would be played.

i.e.
    <pre>
    Sat
    12-4pm BattleField 1942/Desert Combat
    3-5pm QuakeWorld
    4-7pm Counter Strike
    7-10 Battlefield
    8-11 Counter Strike
    9-11 QuakeWorld
    etc.
    </pre>

i.e. set times where a selected machine is running a particular game and people can join/leave as they want. That way we can get the numbers into various games since we usually don't have enough people playing to run all three continuously with sufficient numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I guess quake3 doesn't enter the equation then Caliden no? /me shrugs

Originally posted by electrofelix
    CS on the sunday rocked. That alley of death just ruled :)

about 6v6 enter a confined space, 8s later 8 corpses are on the ground. GL9 would be better if we could organise not only tourneys but set times when games would be played.

i.e.
    <pre>
    Sat
    3-5pm QuakeWorld
    4-7pm Counter Strike
    7-10 Battlefield
    8-11 Counter Strike
    9-11 QuakeWorld
    etc.
    </pre>

i.e. set times where a selected machine is running a particular game and people can join/leave as they want. That way we can get the numbers into various games since we usually don't have enough people playing to run all three continuously with sufficient numbers.

exactly it.
    like a timetable so people could know when a certain game is being played.
    this would not only improve the LAN but maximise the number of people playing a certain game.

btw de_inferno gonna be played again!!!! :D

re Q3: i hae nothing against quake 3. hopefully a timetable or something will be made by lan and will contain all sorts of games.

mayb some AvP this time. eh Syxpak
    ????

I meant to popt up something like the above before, but forgot :)
    mayb some AvP this time. eh Syxpak
    ????
    With the lights turned off.

less leeching eh? bah humbug! more gaming you say, well, gl8 appeared to be terribly unorganised in terms of comps etc, if that improves than twill be grand sura

• Advertisement

Originally posted by quetzal
    ...........well, gl8 appeared to be terribly unorganised in terms of comps etc, if that improves than twill be grand sura

pls explain what you mean?
    gl8 had more people at it than 7 and was definately more fun.
    its juts a pity that the main day is saturday when it could be seen that sunday afternoon was possibly the highlight barring the QW tourny.

i wouldnt mind having a go at opflash just to see what its like networked

Originally posted by quetzal
    less leeching eh? bah humbug! more gaming you say, well, gl8 appeared to be terribly unorganised in terms of comps etc, if that improves than twill be grand sura
    Because there was maybe one or two people trying to organise stuff, and one of those people had to try and keep people on the network, ensure power, help out with finidng patches, setting up FTP shares, running around the college for 100 different things and still try and get a *bit* of gaming in.
    You've only been to one LAN, we've had shitloads of compos and tournys before, and they don't just *magically* happen.
    Have you ever had to herd sheep through a small gap in a long wall?
    It's far easier than trying to get 10 gamers at a lan to all join the one server at the same time and all be running the correct versions of this that and the other while still ensuring that they know what team they're supposed to be on and that the server is stable and won't die mid-way through the match :)

Originally posted by SyxPak
    I meant to popt up something like the above before, but forgot :)

With the lights turned off.

Give it up. It will NEVER happen. You've said this for every single lan so far, and it hasnt happened. GIVE IT UP!

3-5pm QuakeWorld
    4-7pm Counter Strike
    7-10 Battlefield
    8-11 Counter Strike
    9-11 QuakeWorld

7 hours of battlefield? 4 hours of quakeworld? do you realise how boring qw is when you are getting owned constantly (which everyone except cyan and sin would)?

I dont think you've thought this through. Plus, last lan i managed to fit in an impressive 0 hours 0 minutes at battlefield/desert combat, and i was never happier.

tbh.

what games are mostly played?

CS, Desert combat, QW , and Q3. ok maybe opflash/halo/NFS/ GTA:VC by a few but thats it.

and sign of a RTS being played????

would be cool if a good few played

If a few people agrree to have Generals Zero hour installed and patched I'd be up for playing a bit of it.

and sign of a RTS being played????

would be cool if a good few played

I'll go as far as Age of Empires II w/ expansion pack.

Originally posted by DRakE
    do you realise how boring qw is when you are getting owned constantly (which everyone except cyan and sin would)?

.......I don't plan to get owned.....this time!

You can plan all you want ppl but it won't happen. Never has, never will.

If you want to play a game JUST SHOUT IT OUT REAL LOUD.

Irc might be handy aswell.

Yeah, appologies for not having it available last time.
    Will try and get it ready for GLIX

irc would be good alright, saves ya havin to go around looking at what people are playing, what client would be used (I want to have it in advanced loike)?

• Advertisement

Whatever clinet you like.
    It's just IRC.

will the patches mentioned on the room101 post be the same at the time as they are now for definite? Sorry for asking the wierd question but as you might know I have to go to some trouble to download big patches

David, you can just leech them at the lan you dildo.

hehe u said dildo! :D

i never knew irc could be used at lans. but seriosly we will be within shouting distance so whats the point?

****ing class sig steve.. make me one you donkey basterd!

hehe u said dildo! :D

i never knew irc could be used at lans. but seriosly we will be within shouting distance so whats the point?

To stop people shouting scross the (rather large and expansive) room wrecking my head.

Thanks alan :)

Tell me what you want for a sig.

Yore a dildo!, I tried to do that at the last lan with bf, but as it happened I had just reinstalled my os the night before so it wasn't in my registry, ERGO (did I spell that right) I want to have everything ready and patched in advanced this time, did you make that sig yourself RaveN? Good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

john if im heading 2 this lan ill give you a few games of Zero Hour....in the last 3 lans i only seen 2 ever games of RTS being played(pity)

also Drake Felix was just using that time table as eg. of course no one can play 7 hours of BF i also played 0 Hours and 0 Minutes of BG last lan.

and quetxal it was in your registration cause you didnt install it after you install your OS.

• Advertisement

say wha? Do you mean it wasN'T in my registry because I reinstalled my os the night before? If so, I said that in my post......

Advertisement