Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finnish cops hand out record speeding fine

Options
  • 11-02-2004 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Equivalent of $216,900

I rather like the way Finnish speeding fines are linked to income. Not much point in handing someone an 80 euro fine if they're earning a six figure salary
    (yes yes, the points, but even so)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I think it's a great idea, to be of any use fines have to effect people.
    Although, it's wonderful to see the same crap goes on everywhere:
    Two years ago, Anssi Vanjoki, then executive vice president of Nokia (news - web sites)'s mobile phones division, landed a $148,000 ticket after being caught doing 46 mph in a 31 mph zone on a motorcycle. It was later lowered to about $7,500 after he showed a court that his income had dropped.
    I wonder how his income managed to conveniently drop 2000% in time to effect the fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

He'd exercised lots of options during the last year there was data for him. Dubious grounds for reducing the fine though - he still had all that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

nice one.. now I can move to Finland and not have to worry that my annual speeding ticket bill will come to over $20 :D

Advertisement