Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flushing dns

Options
  • 11-02-2004 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

hi

I have a mate who admins a website in the states . it on the www.ezboard.com domain . heres the thing i can access the website as can other people but he cant .
    He had the same problem a few weeks ago and fixed it by flushing the DNS ..
    This time however it didnt work. He on an eircom flat rate acc. . He can ping the ip address of the domain sometimes but not all the time.....

Hes using windows 98 and the command we used to flush the dns was
    ipconfig release_all ...

heres my question

1 Is the ipconfig release_all ... the same as ipconfig /flushdns or does ipconfig release_all just flush the network cared info

2 does anybody know how to resolve this issue

thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

ipconfig release_all just releases HIS ipaddress from DHCP, as far as I know, which isn't what he wants.

ipconfig /flushdns is the kiddy he needs, surely.

however, I don't know why he can't see it, or why he'd have to flush his dns cache: can he see the root of the site?

can he ping the domain name? is there a proxy between him and the site that does not like the site any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

When he can't view the site, get him to try a traceroute to it.
    Also check what IP address he has at the time, I know Eircom are using a new block of IP addresses (they start with 83.70) and that's been causing problems viewing some sites. Although I think they only use those for DSL connections.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ipconfig displays the IP Configuration. If your card is set to auto configure via DHCP it will also release and renew your IP address.

DNS - check hosts files in
    c:\windows
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    to see if entries in it to the site.

use nslookup to check the DNS
    and tracert to see how close you can get to it.

This is where NTL's DNS server thinks it is
    > [url]www.ezboard.com[/url]
    Server:  cache1.ntli.net
    Address:  194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    ezboard.com
    Addresses:  209.247.51.194, 209.247.51.195, 209.247.51.196, 209.247.51.197
              209.247.51.191, 209.247.51.192, 209.247.51.193
    Aliases:  [url]www.ezboard.com[/url]

Advertisement