Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The passat fell through, what about mondeos

Options
  • 11-02-2004 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The passat I was talking about last week fell through, crazy garage man decided he actually wanted 4,000. weird lad he was.

Anyway, How do people feel about older mondeos, not the really old one, 97 to 00 model.

They are quite cheap, and plentiful. I drove a 99 1.6 before and i was relatively impressed with it. seemed well geared for it's engine. nice and low from 1 to 4 and then 5 was quite tall for relaxed cruising.

Anyway how well will a mondeo 1.6 wear it's miles? one I'm looking at has 106K on it, is that ok for a zetec?

(also I'd assume these engines are cheap as chips in the breakers)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I have a 97 mondeo at the moment as shes running perfectly..

Bought it in 99 and have 120k on the clock.. not a bother on her..

Parts are cheap to replace, cheap to service.. local guy does the whole lot for under
    €180 and thats everything.. not too bad on the oul juice.. about 40 - 45 mpg..

I reckon Ill get another 30 - 50k on mine before I get rid of her..

make sure the timing belt has been done on her as this will cost a few quid, approx
    €350 - €400... so thats one thing that will set ya back..

try and get the GLX or SLX models as they have some extras on them.. the usual
    LX has a sunroof and electric front windows and thats about it.. the later LX models
    (99 onwards) usually have alloys and front fogs..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

which engine have you got paddy?

any idea what the timing belt interval is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

80,000 miles/ 5 Years - whats wrong with that?

Mike.

I meant scratch the question,

that's a great service interval

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i was insured on my dad mondeo a while ago and there a lovely car to drive this one is a turbo diesel model and is still going strong for a 95 car!!! looks sexy aswell with an RS bodykit!

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    i was insured on my dad mondeo a while ago and there a lovely car to drive this one is a turbo diesel model and is still going strong for a 95 car!!! looks sexy aswell with an RS bodykit!

I will say nothing...:ninja:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by mike65
    I will say nothing...:ninja:

Mike.

LOL - no comment either

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    which engine have you got paddy?

any idea what the timing belt interval is?

Its a 1.6 16v Zetec...

Nice engine, can be a bit lacking if 4 or 5 people in the car, but its not too bad
    apart from that..

Im planning on changing in the next year or two and would stick with the mondeo.
    Possibly the 2.0 TD..

Tox

Curses,

My plans have been thrown off.

I called into a rake of garages on friday, but no-one had anything interesting, well some did, but they were sold :(

However, I drove a 98 vectra DI estate and I was semi impressed by it.

The estate is imho, the best looking version of the vectra,

has leccy windows, a sunroof and a nice sized boot.. the bodywork is a bit shabby, quite a few small knocks and the like, but it seemed to handle ok enough.

The engine had no power, but I knew that before I sat into it, needs an air-mass sensor and because that's not working the turbo is effectively not doing anything, and that's exactly how it drove, like a non turbo car.

Anyway, it's got 96,000 miles on it and they're asking 4,500 with all the mechanicals sorted, fully serviced and prolly 3 months warranty (in which time I'll do 10,000 miles and have a fair idea if the car is ok or not.

Assuming it comes with a guarantee to sort any NCT work (up in 2 months) I think it looks kinda ok, but I know absolutely nothing about opel diesels or their reliability, or power or anything.

John

• Advertisement

Opel diesels are made by Isuzu for the whole GM family
    I think. They're fairly tough and not too complex. They are fairly guttless even with the turbo working compared to same size engines from PSA group. The price is competitive but only if it gets through the NCT without much damage done! I'd be tempted to hang-on and get browsing www.buyandsell.ie or www.carzone.ie

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&price_min=4750&price_max=5250

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Hi if your still looking for a mondeo my dad is selling a 97 diesel saloon,
    with all elec, nct for 2 years (just passed). If you want more info pm me
    looking for around 3600

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

JohnBoy,
    Whereabouts are you ? My brother has a 97 Primera which he'll be selling soon as he's relocating to the south of Spain !!

I aks your wearabouts cause I'm surprised to hear you're having a wee bit of difficulty finding a car for yourself. It is truly a buyers market now with so many used cars on the market.

Mike, yeah the engine in the vectra is gutless as hell, and it's not just the air mass sensor as the garage had suggested, I looked it up on parkers and it has a 16 second 0-60 time, that's a whole half second faster than my old normally aspirated 405

So forget the vectra, also afaik the 2.0 DI isn't actually an isuzu engine, but an opel one. Oh and now opel are switching to fiat for their widely praised jtd engines (which if they're reliable makes perfect sense, given that fiat did in fact invent common rail injection and hold it's patents)

Ianno, What part of the country are you in? and what's the mileage?

tinofapples, sorry but not interested in a primera, just don't like them.

General, I've been thinking a lot about this and much and all as I dislike the polo I'm gonna hold out for the car I really want, which is a decent sized turbo diesel estate for less than 3 grand not the easiest thing in the world to find, but I'm willing to wait if nessecary (unless some savage deal presents itself)

I only paid 750 for the 405 (ok total cost was closer to 1500, but that was over 18 months and 45,000 miles) and I dream of emulating that sucess again

John

Advertisement