Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How cold have you ever gotten your System or CPu?

Options
  • 11-02-2004 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

at the mo mine system is reading 22 C (Cheiftec Dragon Case with Abit Nf7 mobo)

the Cpu is 35 C (AMD XP 3000)

one side fan,
    2 exhust,
    one sucking air in the front for the system

as for the cpu using a cooler master jet 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Iv got my CPU ( barton 2800+ ) and GFX Card ( GF FX 5900 Ultra ) Watercooled.

Idle i get
    Water temp of - 25'C
    CPU temp of - 32'C
    GFX Card - 34'C

Under Load i get

Water temp of - 33'C
    CPU temp of - 40'C
    GFX Card - 45'C

Thats with 2 rad's running 2x120mm fans at +5V

Not 2 Bad ;)

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Erm, I seem to remember going crazy before, and putting my pc right next to the open window ( pretty much on the window sill ) on a freezing night. The case was open, I think I got cpu temperatures of about 7 - 8 degrees, with good aircooling. This allowed me to overclock me p3 600 to about 1150mhz ( it displayed the speed, then the bios was irreparably damaged ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by magick

at the mo mine system is reading 22 C (Cheiftec Dragon Case with Abit Nf7 mobo)

the Cpu is 35 C (AMD XP 3000)

one side fan,
    2 exhust,
    one sucking air in the front for the system

as for the cpu using a cooler master jet 7
    heh, same specs as you, except i've got an XP 2500 & an aero 7 lite.

the cpu hasn't gone over 42 in all the times i've checked (only got the system today though:) ) and the system is normally around the 24 mark... - thats with the fan speed set to a couple of mils over the lowest setting & only the case fan that comes with the case for extra airflow.

time for some overclocking methinks

think i'll whack the fan up full for 10 mins & see how cool i can get it while idling:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

hmm my system temp is highly dependent on the room temperature, but i've seen it at 32-33 idle and the case temp around 20-22 typically though the cpu is at load around 40-45c not bad for a 400mhz overclock and 0.1vcore increase

specs as below in an antec 1080plusview case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

19C idle but that's because I have my computer inside the attic (Noise) and it's frezzing in there, the HDD never goes above 22C and the system is usually 21C. Under load the temps can go all the way up to 45C CPU - the HDD and MB dont really change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

I had one of my older PCs running at 16'C...

It was raining, we were having an Outdoor lan (Under a canopy) Case off... It was a Celeron 300MHz @ 450MHz running at 16'C 100% Stable... my best overclock I've ever done. Bare in mind this was a good few years ago when the standard PC being sold was a PII 350 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Since there is obviously a high temp operating limit on components what would be the low temp limit? Is it ok to cool the system below freezing? I know this is possible with the CPU. I'm sure at very low temps there would be all sorts of problems with condensation?

*gets up to put Shuttle in fridge*

*makes sandwich*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

really depends on room temps

but the lowest was

29 for P4 3ghz

14 for case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

As long as you deal with the condensation there should be no problem, why should there be a bottom limit - 0K excluded obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

minus 10 Cel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Minus 25 :p but thats not on air so I guess its not fair... Man all I need is a beat and some biotches and I've gotta song /me writes that down...

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    As long as you deal with the condensation there should be no problem, why should there be a bottom limit - 0K excluded obviously.

well at very low temps <100c things could get very brittle. if everything in the case was frozen (keep the system temp low) then wires and cables would snap pretty easily (the plastic anyway)

tom's hardware done this a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by quarryman
    Since there is obviously a high temp operating limit on components what would be the low temp limit?
    Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod

Most commercial integrated circuits are spec-ed to work between -40C and 125C (high performance processors will often have tighter limits than this). Dropping below -40C might cause some instability.

Allow me to put on my circuit designer hat and give a bit of background :)

The reason for this is that every clocked element (e.g. latch, flip-flop) has an associated "hold time" - a period where data at the input has to be valid after the clock edge has arrived. If the input data changes before this hold time has elapsed, invalid data might be propagated through the clocked element. Designers will check that the required margin is there at -40C (or whatever their lowest temperature spec is), but dropping lower than this could see some cases where the circuit does not function as designed.

you all must have read this http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/5ghz-11.html

p4 @ 5.25 ghz @ -195 deg cel

where can i get some liquid nitrogen ?

i'll rob you some from college, or frozen CO2 should get ya down to -78c

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i'll rob you some from college, or frozen CO2 should get ya down to -78c

what college u in, im in dcu, the beginnings of a dastardly plan

ucd, the liquid nitrogen is quite accessible in i think you'll just need a thermos :) and pretend you need it for the lab i'll point you in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

ah come on lads liquid nitrogen for gods sake you could kill yourselves

my cpu reguarily hits 70oC and i couldn't give 2 fooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

When your cpu/case starts hitting around what temperature should you start worrying or try to cool it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Over 65 load for an amd xp id say

• Advertisement

yes yes you should, also you case temp should never really be anyway near your cpu temp, your case temp should really less then 30c i reckon and thats a conservative estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hehe, I'm running generally about 52c on my AMD 2700+ 2.17ghz.

It's only a cheap peice of junk heatsink I've got in there, so I'm going to get something decent, some arctic silver, and a few case fans to bring that down. But to be honest, I'm not at all worried about the temp, it's running pretty well, and hasn't over-heated.

At the moment, I'm not concerned with anything mad like OC'ing, I'd only really try do something like that out of sheer curiosity to be fair. Though the thoughts of getting some experimentation going with watercooling, or even better, vapochill, are very tempting.

Liquid Nitrogen, or Liquid Oxygen even would be a far off thought, tbh.
    Perhaps fasioning a custom heatsink would be fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

my norm temps are cpu 19c and case 19c ...cpu goes all the way up to 28 and no more with o'c and load never seen 30 before thermalright are the dogs bol**x

was cold last night so i put the computer out the window and benched 2001 with realy crazy o'c got 1000 more with no artifacts cpu was at 10c and system 8c neighbours where quite interested though...a fridge thats what i need...yeah what a cool mod build a pc in a fridge????

amd's are such egg fryers

Originally posted by freekhead
    was cold last night so i put the computer out the window

i'll have to give that a go, above and beyond the call :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by neokenzo
    When your cpu/case starts hitting around what temperature should you start worrying or try to cool it down?

Intel P4's are rated 75'C

Athlon Xp's i think are rated 95

Im pretty sure on that but wouldnt let either go over 65'C

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

Got a P4 2.6 overclocked by 10%. Watercooled
    Using Asus AI bios to overclock. Not got around to doing it manually

25C idle. 27C under load
    Using the Zalman waterblock - It ROCKS compaired to old Gemini block I was using.
    Got a heatercore (radiator) out of a Peugot 106. Fits exactly into a 5.25" bay. (€5)
    Used the dash lights dimmer switch from an opel for fan speed control. (€5)
    Check your friendly neighbourhood breakers yard for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Wow prosta, sounds cool, got any pics of your rig ?

CombatCow

yeah love to see some pics of that

Only 1 crappy pic.

Moving h/ware to a new case. More pics soon

• Advertisement

Pics of case and watercooling setup
    Hardware is in another case waiting for a black ice pro radiator.
    The Heatercore is too big for new case

Advertisement