Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater

• 11-02-2004 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey, I'm new here. Are there any Dream Theater fans here.

They are the greatest band in the world. For those of you who don't know who Dream Theater are; they're a progressive metal band from New York and have been around since the later end of the eighties. They have a few albums on the go and a plethora of live ones.

They're all music college graduates and they are unbelievable musicians. Check them out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i think you'll find a lot of dream theater fans around these parts... including moi... pity i havent seen em live yet though i've got the metropolis dvd (the next best thing i spose)... its great! the album is great as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

i got their album falling into infinity, it is pretty good, havent really listened to it much.

also heard one last time - its brilliant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Eh, John Petrucci never graduated from Berkley. He left before his finals. And I'm more partial to LTE but I do like Train Of Thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Graduate or not, he is a fantastic musician, as are they all.
    I didn't like Train of Thought too much. My favourite albums would be Images and Words and Metropolis Pt II: Scenes from a Memory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

heard their latest one alot... alot of the songs seemed to have parts in them that were.. 'borrowed' from other songs

for example I could swear that one of the riffs in a certain song is from metallica's justice for all album.. and i've gotten that with a few of their songs on that album (not all from metallica though..)

friends of mine say its cos their so good they can do that sort of **** to take the piss.. and I'm not denying they're not talented.. but I dunno..

(edit)
    prob should have mentioned.. I did love the album :)

not a huge fan of theirs.. yet though, haven't takent he time to get into thenm

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an incredible guitarist. I was just correcting your "oversight" :D Not a big fan of Images and Words. Like I said, I prefer his work with LTE although I do love Erotomania.

The intro to Endless Sacrifice does sound like a Micheal Jackson Song....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Yeah, the Liquid Tension Experiment stuff is right up my street, love Dream Theater too, but, to be honest, sometimes I just wanna grab a rifle and hunt the singer down! :)

Can I help? That's why they formed LTE, to get away from that singer thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Their all amasing musicians, but as a band, I dont like them that much, their live stuff is exceptional tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

Yeah the riff sounds like Metallicas "Blackened" doesn't it...

Train of Thought is definetely their heaviest, Jams LaBrie even raps in "Honour Thy Father"..... Which was unpridictable in a way from him..

All this talk about Patrucci, what about John Myung, one of THE greastest Bass players in the world. Period. The speed of his play is quite outstanding..

Images and Words is arguably their best though, it's definetly their most consistant album, probably their most diverse too...

Scenes from New York only has 15 live songs and it borders slightly on the pretentious side. I saw Dream Theater in Vicar St. in 2002 and it ****ing inspired me, that's all I can say...

Originally posted by feylya
    Can I help? That's why they formed LTE, to get away from that singer thing.

ROFL! Funny cuz its true tbh! :D

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    ROFL! Funny cuz its true tbh! :D

Come on, LaBrie is fantastic..

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

There is no doubting his talent. But his singing gets very annoying. Almost as annoying as his leathers on the Metropolis DVD. :mad:

The singer really annoys me though, despite how good he may be. I have the Images And Words in Toyko dvd and I'm not overly impressed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hey Bazz....
    I was lent a CD of theirs by a pal I know, I listened to it a couple of times, I liked it...and yet can't remember what album it was!...anyway they reminded me of a more up to date Pink Floyd, they'r talented, I like that...real musicians playing interesting music. I must buy an album or 2 by them. After all..their drummer is a huge fan and hugely influenced by the GREAT Neil Peart of Rush...so why wouldn't i like him!.....

ciao'......Baggio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

When I was on a placement year from Uni I borrowed "Awake" from a guy I worked with, and really loved "Innocence Faded", and so it began... :-)
    My favourite album probably has to be "Scenes From A Memory". Just wondering - what's the story behind the lyrics to "Through Her Eyes"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Actually, apart from the great music, stuff like this is probably the main reasons why I like Dream Theater. The band name, is not just a name it seems...

Images and Words in Tokyo is fantastic, one of the greatest live preformances ever recorded. They added so much extra to the songs, like they'd do a partcial jam then do the song... Check out 'Take the Time', the intro to it and the lighting is fantastic...

Didn't some other famous metal band meet at Berkly??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Rush maybe?

Now you've done it! Baggio will be back on asking us if we were aware of the unbelievably amazing fact that Neil Peart is in Rush.... :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Now you've done it! Baggio will be back on asking us if we were aware of the unbelievably amazing fact that Neil Peart is in Rush.... :p:D

Duh, Neil Peart is Rush. Don't you listen? :p;)

Please,,,,,Accept,,,,My humble,,,,,Apologies,,,,,

,,,,ciao,,,amigos

:D

No, I don't think it was Rush, but I won't disagree with u..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

great band ... there version of Master Of Puppets was rather fantabulas i thought :) still apart from that there a great band....

u think they will ever play over here though?

Dream Theater? Played here late 2002 I think, I remember cuz I was fuming over not having the cash for a ticket! (So, it could have been anytime then!!)

They played here in October 2002.. Unbelievable, trust me, blew me away..

I've heard a rumour that they are playing here very soon.. But I've been hearing a lot of rumours lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Must check em out sometime......the only way I know of them is that Mike Portney is meant to be a pretty talented drummer. Though also heard that he's much too technically flashy .....:dunno:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sauron
    Must check em out sometime......the only way I know of them is that Mike Portney is meant to be a pretty talented drummer. Though also heard that he's much too technically flashy .....:dunno:

Yeah, well you can't blame him for being a talented and extreamily skilled musician..

Advertisement