Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

migrating site from jsp to php .. search engine issues

Options
  • 11-02-2004 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi im migrating a site from jsp to php.
    suppose some one searches in google for something and come across this site.
    how long will google and the like keep the references for my jsp pages.

what is the best way to combat the issue that those pages no longer exist.... leave the jsps and put a redirect to the corresponding php????

tnx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yes. Alternatively, if you're using Apache and the filenames are identical bar the extension, remap the URL's using mod_rewrite:

(In the relevant VirtualHost...)
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule (.+).jsp$ $1.php

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

my site is hosted by a hosting company... before asking them can you tell
    is that change made by me or the host??
    of can it be made at all as its a shared server??

Depends on whether your account is a "virtual host" or a "virtual server". If you have root shell access it's a virtual server, and yes, you can make that change (prolly in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf). If not, try placing the code above in a .htaccess file in the DocumentRoot of your website and see what happens. (If the site is live, copy a few JSP and PHP files into a temporary directory and try it there.

Another option is to have PHP parse JSP files, again in httpd.conf or .htaccess:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .jsp

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could also use a redirect in .htaccess , but this would depend on your host

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

blacknight,
    i have that exact issue also... ill be migrating a jsp site to php shortly... and its hosted with you.
    do i have access to .htaccess ?

tnx

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ConsultClifford
    blacknight,
    i have that exact issue also... ill be migrating a jsp site to php shortly... and its hosted with you.
    do i have access to .htaccess ?

tnx

In a word - YES :D

If you have any issues with directives let us know.

ill have to check with my host also.

however does this redirect you guys mention mean that if i try to access www.foo.com/test.jsp then it will actually give me www.foo.com/test.php

tnx

You can do either

It depends on what you want to do.
    If you use a nice bit of Apache's mod_rewrite you can even do it so that the visitor is completely oblivious to the change

The RewriteRule above will do it transparently. If you want to make it obvious, add " [L,R]" (minus the quotes) to the end of the RewriteRule.

adam

after reading some other threads ie. that naming html files descriptively is very good practice for search engines(is this true?)....

i think i will not only be changing the jsp to php but for several files i will rename them. is it true therefore that much of what we ve said goes out the window... as if someone searches for foo.jsp but now its foodescription.php our redirects will do nothing!

can we basically do some sort of redirect saying if the user requests any jsp page they re direct them to the index.php

• Advertisement

Yes.

For example, we converted our entire site to php about 18 months ago (maybe more), but as the search engines had indexed all the .html pages we put a .htaccess redirect

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule .+\.jsp$ / [L,R]

tnx alot
    btw what does shell access really mean?

Means you get to ssh or telnet into the machine, like the command prompt in Windows.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    if you do a rewrite does google drop the old address from the index, or do you have to do redirect 301 to do that?
    We never know what Google does. However Apache sends a 302 (Moved Temporarily) if the RewriteRule is followed by an [R] flag, so it's probably better to use [R=301] and cross your fingers.

If you don't send an R flag, Google will get a 200 and won't see any difference.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

could anyone gimme a link where i can go to learn about ssh so i can sort this thing out?

cheers

Originally posted by ConsultClifford
    could anyone gimme a link where i can go to learn about ssh so i can sort this thing out?

cheers

What do you need to know?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=unix+commands - common commands

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ - windows client

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i'm going a little off topic,sorry. but,..
    why are you changing from jsp to php?

</curiosity>

Advertisement