Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband lack of speed

• 11-02-2004 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi there!
    Have finally got going with esat(Yeah I know!!!)
    any incoming speed according to icon in systems tray is 512kbps.
    when i try to download anything it remains about 20kbps.fuctuates a bit either way but no great speeds!from download.com and klite also.
    I mean dial-up is quicker!
    Anyone please save my sanity with this MUTHATRUCKER!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

neither downlaod.com or klite give any connection here its fullest speed, downlaod.com is in America and speeds are often much lower than websites closer to home, klite is p2p and depending who ur downlaoding from speeds can often be brutal regardless of how good ur connection is.

I used ntl cable 600 for first time the other week (not my connection unfortunately) and i was barely getting 15k/sec off it and downlaoding from websites was giving me anything up to 35ksec but as soon as i went to an ftp i was hitting 65k/sec constantly.

Try some sites closer to home or an ftp, that shud hopefully show you ur broadbands true potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

whats an ftp?
    i am sucha dick!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Try www.giganews.com or www.u.tv/speedtest and either of those should give you a fair idea.

Theres also a speedtest somewhere on the Eircom site I think!

considering i am right across the road from the telephone exchange
    i think that this is pretty crap!
    cheers for that!checked out giganews.thats what it gave me!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thats pretty dire ok. Try the UTV one at least thats in Ireland and in theory should be better than any of the foreign ones. Do you know anyone locally that has broadband that you could compare with? I know you probably have but have you double checked all your internet settings. Have you tried a full reinstall of your modem and software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The fastest speed you are going to get anywhere on 512k is a download speed of around 54kb/s. 512k is your connection speed not how fast you download at. You also have to allow for the high contention ratio of 48:1 meaning you are sharing you connection with up to 47 other users. Sounds like your connection is pretty good, I think you are expecting a bit much. Remember it only supposed to be 10 times the speed of dial-up and at the moment you are getting around 8 times dial-up which is not too bad.
    Try, http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ i got 51 kilobytes per second on IOL and I'm very happy with the speed.

could i have reached my 10 gig limit for the month?
    Is this a possibility?
    would it mean that the speed would slow dramatically?
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

The limit with the basic esat broadband package is 8 GB. Use this link to check how much you've used

http://www.iol.ie/broadband/bb_use.htm

I could be wrong but I think your service is cut off until the next month if you exceed your cap. I haven't heard of any throttling down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

followed the links above, got 50.2 for d/l on bandwith place not bad quite pleased with that.

d/l ut2k4 demo the other day and it didn't drop below 50 so test wasn't far of i guess

did have some problems last week, my conection seemed very slow any d/l was at 20 or lower!!! all seems fine now

Advertisement