Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice in Chains reforming ?

• 11-02-2004 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭

found this today:

The remaining members of Alice in Chains are planning a summer jam session to see if they can continue without late singer Layne Staley.

Guitarist Jerry Cantrell disbanded the group in 2002 after Staley died from a drug overdose, but now he wants to get back together with band mates Mike Inez and Sean Kinney to see if they can salvage anything from the passing of their front man.

Cantrell says, "His death was a lot to get used to but I'm in a much different space now."

"We don't have any expectations. We're gonna get in a room, have a little fun and see what goes down. Anything's possible."

"I was kinda waiting to see if the Alice thing would ever materialize again but I really miss playing with those guys."

Meanwhile, busy Cantrell has recorded vocals for Damageplan's upcoming "The Punisher" movie theme song "Ashes to Ashes," and he has joined Dave Navarro's heavy rock super group Camp Freddy.

Cantrell is also planning to form his own hobby group with Camp Freddy pals Chad Smith and The Cult star Billy Duffy.

oh the possibilties....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Looks promising but it wont be the same without Staley.But still I could be wrong.Time changes bands in diffrent ways mabey they might do something original like not **** up reforming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭girella

jesus
    that would be something to see. they are my favourite band and they did great things together, however without layne it would be weird but none the less they were also the people that made that band what they were and they could easily do weel
    its something id like to see and if you could keep us all updated on that
    cheers peeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

Must say, I agree with ya'll and to add....

If there's one guy in all the bands I'd listen to that I'd trust not to Fcuk-up a reunion/reformation it'd be Mr. Cantrell..... having said that tho, the harmony style he and Staley had, singing-wise was second to none and gave AIC their unique sound, I would be a bit sceptical on how they would approach or mimmic that sound again tho.....

But having said that I'd LOVE to hear they're ideas/attempt at it!

Trev
    HD

www.20bullseach.com

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Wow AIC reforming what a thought. Back in the 90s those guys could have had it all,

they were the best at what they did, and maybe they can recapture some of that

old spark again.Stayley will of course be missed, those harmonies won't sound as

good with anybody else, Songs like Rooster and Would? won't sound the

same.Anyway fair play lads, maybe he would want you to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

gotta agree with you all, any reformed aic would have to work very hard to even find someone who could replace laynes vocals

however, you should remember that songs like rooster and would? were written by cantrell, the only songs layne wrote were the drug tunes ... junkhead etc
    (open to contradiction on that, but thats what i remember from reading their album liner notes)

so at least the song quality would be there on any new material even if the vocals arent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

No harm to lads. I've loved alice in chains for a very very long time, back in the early days. Those lads may play together again and I'm a massive fan of there music. But to me and deep in my heart there not and never will be 'Alice in Chains' that died with Layne. The lads may be the former members but it's not going to be AIC. Layne and Cantrells vocals together was one of the best duets in rock. Thats like Led Zep playing with out John Bohnam. Without him they we're just the 3 guys from Led Zep they we're never going to be Led Zep again!!!

As much as I ****ing hate to say it Alice in Chains as we know and love is gone. But would like to hear what the lads come up with. I love cantrell's guitar playing!!! Thats my two cents :)

RIP Layne

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Alice in Chains minus Layne Staley is not Alice In Chains in my eyes. It simply wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Posted on Blabbermouth.net:

Ex-ALICE IN CHAINS guitarist Jerry Cantrell has confirmed to Launch Radio Networks that he recently jammed separately with his former bandmates, bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney.

Although all three have not played together in the same room yet, Cantrell told Launch that he feels confident some sort of reunion will happen.

"I'm sure at some point not too far in the future, we'll end up doing something like that, and, you know, just take it a step at a time," he said. "You know, we're still all healing up from the loss of (vocalist) Layne (Staley) and the final chapter of the band, so to speak, and so we're just taking things slow. But I would say that most definitely a hundred percent chance of us playing in the future is imminent."

Cantrell also confirmed the formation of his new band with former THE CULT axeman Billy Duffy. The as-yet-unnamed project is expected to feature a revolving cast of players and special guests and will play mostly cover tunes, plus selected material from THE CULT and ALICE IN CHAINS.

Cantrell, who has seven songs completed for his third solo album, is currently without a record deal, having severed his ties with the Roadrunner label after the 2002 release of his sophomore solo effort, "Degradation Trip".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I'm sick of "reunion" tours etc. Why can't bands get back together and make some new music and not give a damn what people say? If it's different then people will complain and if it's the same then people'll complain so why not just not give a flying fuck!? But most of all I'm sick of all the emphasis being put on one guy in a band dying or leaving and how after that it's "not the same". Well feck that view! Bands change members all the time. Sure it's not the same creative input but we're talking about losing ONE guy here. Oh and I think he's gotta be one of the most missed rockstars out there, I'm just sick of that IN GENERAL... But yeah... If Alice In Chains get back together I'd love to hear what it's like... especially now they've had time and the whole shock of Layne's death to draw from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

that's just like takin alice out of chains and still pretending it's alice in chains when in reality its just a jigsaw puzzle missing the layne (+rip+) part :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 curtismayfield

I think it's kinda like the way The Clash were gonna reform but didn't with the untimely death of Joe Strummer. S'pose what I'm trying to say is that the only way to preserve the Alice In Chains legacy is to never reform or do what the surviving members of the Doors did with the other member of the Cult, Ian Astbury. At the same time they were/are one of my favourite bands of all time, so I'd be a little curious too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Hopefuully they'll have a bit of respect and not use the AIC name. I would love to see what they come up with though.

Advertisement