Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot Problem Win 95

Options
  • 12-02-2004 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Every time I boot up my Laptop I get a DOS message saying that the computer was not switched off correctly and it then performs a scan. at 46% is stops and hangs for a bit and then says something about a FATS problem and then continues. I need to hit the return key a few times and then I am in.
    I have tried to defrag and it will not allow me to.
    It's a bit frustrating and I would like to find a fix for this.
    Can anyone help.

kind regards,

Liz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Counds like you've a bad sector on your HD and the 'primitive' scandisk in Win95 can't fix it.

If you can get your hands on a low level physical scanning utility that might solve theproblem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by walsheliz
    Every time I boot up my Laptop I get a DOS message saying that the computer was not switched off correctly and it then performs a scan. at 46% is stops and hangs for a bit and then says something about a FATS problem and then continues.
    Yeah windows is Bloatware.
    I need to hit the return key a few times and then I am in.
    I have tried to defrag and it will not allow me to.
    It's a bit frustrating and I would like to find a fix for this.
    Can anyone help.

kind regards,

Liz

Try running scandisk in windows
    Start - Run - Scandskw (accessories - system tools)
    click option for surface

Then check again
    When it boots up - press F8 to get the menu and go into safemode command prompt only.
    (otherwise shutdown and restart in dos mode)

At the DOS prompt try
    SCANDISK /ALL /SURFACE
    This will do a surface scan. And hopefully mark the sector bad.

SCANDISK /ALL /SURFACE /AUTOFIX
    This will fix errors - but won't ask you to press keys OR make an undo disk.

You can also run CHKDSK /F in the safe mode DOS prompt - this sometimes Deletes FAT/Directory stuff scandisk missed / didn't fix / can't fix - BUT don't run it until scandisk has found / tried to fix errors at least twice.

Note: if you can borrow a win98 startup disk (control panel / add remove programs) I don't know if the SCANDISK program on it is better or not.

Advertisement